Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

I have also applied for the reserves this year. I passed stage 1 and I havn't heard anything about stage two yet, I was places 46 in Wexford. Is this good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

vardy98 wrote: »
    I have also applied for the reserves this year. I passed stage 1 and I havn't heard anything about stage two yet, I was places 46 in Wexford. Is this good or bad.

Honestly I can't see you getting called for interview anytime soon as you are in Wexford, if you were 46 in Dublin it would be a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Viking123

I'm number 17 in Westmeath, haven't heard anything either. I dunno if I'll be called for an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Viking123 wrote: »
    I'm number 17 in Westmeath, haven't heard anything either. I dunno if I'll be called for an interview.

If you passed stage 1 then you should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Goldcrest

Jamie,
    what type of test/s did you have to do for at stage 2 other than the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I shall answer a few questions recently asked.

1) don't worry about any stage of this process (if you can) they rarely turn people away.

2) family members past will not cause your application any difficulties ( unless they happen to be connected to any feuding gangs).

3) excemptions are usually always accepted, I didn't meet Irish and filled it in with a policing studies diploma. Use anything you have achieve through community work or community sports as a replacement ( they love that stuff)

4) medical is straight forward, at the time i was told by the doctor that I was underweight and would not pass the full time medical but I passed the medical for the reserves.

5) don't put your life's on hold for any and I mean any stage of this. It's a long wait lads, years in my case.

welcome aboard the waiting train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I shall answer a few questions recently asked.

1) don't worry about any stage of this process (if you can) they rarely turn people away.

2) family members past will not cause your application any difficulties ( unless they happen to be connected to any feuding gangs).

3) excemptions are usually always accepted, I didn't meet Irish and filled it in with a policing studies diploma. Use anything you have achieve through community work or community sports as a replacement ( they love that stuff)

4) medical is straight forward, at the time i was told by the doctor that I was underweight and would not pass the full time medical but I passed the medical for the reserves.

5) don't put your life's on hold for any and I mean any stage of this. It's a long wait lads, years in my case.

welcome aboard the waiting train.

That post is everything you need to know !!!

Has anyone heard anything in relation to medicals/training? I have a bit of a problem as I am going abroad for a month in September, but I'm afraid training will come up. Is there any point in ringing them or emailing them? Like it has never helped me b4, they just say they don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

There won't be any decision made on Training until PAS have finished Interviews etc with New applicants.So the wait continues.

Here's an item in local papers here in Donegal today,which doesn't sound good,when a member of 10 years chucks in the towel.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/06/09/well-known-reserve-garda-quits-his-post-in-protest/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

donman wrote: »
    There won't be any decision made on Training until PAS have finished Interviews etc with New applicants.So the wait continues.

Here's an item in local papers here in Donegal today,which doesn't sound good,when a member of 10 years chucks in the towel.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/06/09/well-known-reserve-garda-quits-his-post-in-protest/

Interviews will run for ages, I'd I'd be safe in booking my flights.

I don't blame the man, I'd love them to do an article on us and our 4+ year wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jwin6

Jamie83 wrote: »
    Jamie did you apply for Dublin location and do you mind me asking what number you were? I'm just wondering what number they are at for stage 2 in Dublin

• Advertisement

Anyone been interviewed yet for Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jonnymurphy

Was on the phone to them the other day.. The lady said they are in the mid 100s in dublin. And the is a big demand for reserves in dublin

Can you stick up the phone number for who you rang please.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I called the general number from the Public Jobs website and got through to the Reserve department. The lowdown is that they have a mandate to fill 300 spaces, but only from the Dublin and Cork region, no other counties are being considered at the moment. Once they are placed, they will then get an updated mandate depending on what Garda HQ wants. It essentially means that if you are in a county that has no Reserve requirements, you may never get the call.

delly wrote: »
    I called the general number from the Public Jobs website and got through to the Reserve department. The lowdown is that they have a mandate to fill 300 spaces, but only from the Dublin and Cork region, no other counties are being considered at the moment. Once they are placed, they will then get an updated mandate depending on what Garda HQ wants. It essentially means that if you are in a county that has no Reserve requirements, you may never get the call.

Luckily that's not the case, I'm outside Dublin and Cork and I got called for interview next Saturday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Boaty wrote: »
    Luckily that's not the case, I'm outside Dublin and Cork and I got called for interview next Saturday.

Don't ask me how, but I also got the same today. Strange to have it change from what I heard during the week, but they just act on what Garda HQ instruct, so maybe something has changed in the last few days.

I'm assuming you have to go into Dublin aswell?

Boaty wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have to go into Dublin aswell?

Yeah, although may have to try and move the date. It all seems very sudden, so plans made elsewhere for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hi, would you know where you are posted before the training?
    And what way is the training scheduled?

redmgar wrote: »
    Hi, would you know where you are posted before the training?
    And what way is the training scheduled?

Training lasts 4 weeks.Week 1 & 4 are 2 days each week,, week 2 & 3 are 2 full weeks.All are in Templemore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Thanks Willie, any idea if they tell you the barracks before you start training?

Just an update to say I had the scenario and interview today. I think it went pretty well and I was impressed with the efficiency of the PAS in terms of conducting each step.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Anyone got any idea how many interviews they have left ? Once they are over we might see the ball start to roll.

Cedric87 wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea how many interviews they have left ? Once they are over we might see the ball start to roll.

I'm in Kildare, number was in the 50's, still haven't heard about an interview yet. Don't think they are doing Kildare yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jamie83

I'm in Kildare, number was in the 50's, still haven't heard about an interview yet. Don't think they are doing Kildare yet

I'm in Dublin had interview and assessment my br forms are now awaiting clearance I've had correspondence back already from them looking for any missing info to be sent in

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jamie199323

Hey has anybody that did the interview for cork got any interview results yet ?

I'm in Dublin had interview and assessment my br forms are now awaiting clearance I've had correspondence back already from them looking for any missing info to be sent in

Can I ask what type of info they came back for? I have grandparents born before the rising thst I couldn't get birth dates for, or rather couldn't get them in the 9 days between notification and interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jamie83

delly wrote: »
    Can I ask what type of info they came back for? I have grandparents born before the rising thst I couldn't get birth dates for, or rather couldn't get them in the 9 days between notification and interview.

That's exactly the info they want I was the same with grandparents born pre 1900 and had trouble getting dates got them in the end but they will require this info

That's exactly the info they want I was the same with grandparents born pre 1900 and had trouble getting dates got them in the end but they will require this info

Thanks for clarifying. I'll get back onto the extended family so as not to stop the hunt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Is there a 'normal' timeframe for progressing with stage 3 medical and security clearance?

Advertisement