Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

5 years in the process this March.

I've applied for the 999 Garda call taker recently and I'm doing well in the process. HQ said I can still do the reserves if I get into the guards as a civilian emergency call taker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Trackerjacker

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I've applied for the 999 Garda call taker recently and I'm doing well in the process. HQ said I can still do the reserves if I get into the guards as a civilian emergency call taker

Good to here man. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

No movement haven't even had local meetings. Waiting on a call to head in to meet the Sargent.

That’s ridiculous lad.Its an extremely poor reflection on your local Garda as you should have had those meetings months ago.They obviously never think,that they were in the same position at a time when they were trying to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

I don't unfortunately, but I tell ya one thing don't hand it back tell ya get training and that could be a long time yet so worry about it then. I handed mine back when I got medical in 2015, I was fairly sickened when training got cancelled and was left with no PSA license .

Yip, Id like to know the process once you start training do the GR inform PSA of do you have to hand back license and then inform GR!!!! No way i would hand it back until training is completed at least or try hold onto the licence as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Well folks has anyone heard anything about movement on the reserves. It was actually this day last year that recruitment was opened for it and still no reserves have been taken in yet. I see they have intakes on the full time kept going there and reserves left to the side.
    On a brighter note anyone see the Garda reserve who jumped into the river in Galway to rescue a man no hesitation at all they tackle dangers just as much as the full time do do fair play to him.

• Advertisement

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    Well folks has anyone heard anything about movement on the reserves. It was actually this day last year that recruitment was opened for it and still no reserves have been taken in yet. I see they have intakes on the full time kept going there and reserves left to the side.
    On a brighter note anyone see the Garda reserve who jumped into the river in Galway to rescue a man no hesitation at all they tackle dangers just as much as the full time do do fair play to him.

I’ve my medical on April 12th.My feeling is they haven’t got the minimum numbers yet for training.I could be wrong,but I reckon 50 for the intake and as vetting progresses,intakes will be larger.So every 4 months could see an intake of 100,which would lead to the promised 300 per year.Just my gut feeling anyway.

donman wrote: »
    I’ve my medical on April 12th.My feeling is they haven’t got the minimum numbers yet for training.I could be wrong,but I reckon 50 for the intake and as vetting progresses,intakes will be larger.So every 4 months could see an intake of 100,which would lead to the promised 300 per year.Just my gut feeling anyway.

Oh ya could be but like some of us have our medicals done since last November. When do you think an intake will be taking in this year

Oh ya could be but like some of us have our medicals done since last November. When do you think an intake will be taking in this year
    Very hard to say lad.It's just a waiting game i'm afraid.

Very hard to say lad.It's just a waiting game i'm afraid.

So annoying when like we are so eager to get training

So annoying when like we are so eager to get training

Its absolutely ridiculous., I'm still waiting on a call for a medical, if I don't get it soon I'm knocking it on the head. Like I have said before at this stage I can't see there being a class till End of June/July if even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Its absolutely ridiculous., I'm still waiting on a call for a medical, if I don't get it soon I'm knocking it on the head. Like I have said before at this stage I can't see there being a class till End of June/July if even.

I'm in the same boat as you, last I heard they were still on my background checks. Have all my meetings done, when does the background checks actually begin? Is it after your meeting with the super?

Rebelkid wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, last I heard they were still on my background checks. Have all my meetings done, when does the background checks actually begin? Is it after your meeting with the super?

They begin with the sergeant. I rang in recently and they just said the same thing they say every time and that is there is still a piece of vetting to come back. Im never ringing in again absolute waste of time. Another week goes by and nothing. They are either the laziest or most unorganized office I have ever dealt with in my life., None them seem to know anything about anything when ya ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I had my interview with the Super 2 weeks ago and got an email this morning for a medical in the middle of April. I'm just worried the training will be in peak summer time and I won't be able to get off work :-(

I had my interview with the Super 2 weeks ago and got an email this morning for a medical in the middle of April. I'm just worried the training will be in peak summer time and I won't be able to get off work :-(

Your lucky pal, I had my meetings ages ago and still heard nothing.

medical lasts 6 months after 6 months it needs to be done again likewise for vetting

medical lasts 6 months after 6 months it needs to be done again likewise for vetting

Cedric have u got any further?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KimsMom

Hi folks, first time posting. I have my medical on 18th April. There is an interesting question from Jim O Callaghan on kildarestreet.com - I can’t post the link as I’m a newbie here. But if you go to the site and put Garda reserve in the search bar - it should pop up, here is a short piece of it:

The "Programme for a Partnership Government" includes a commitment to double the Garda Reserve to act in a supportive role undertaking local patrols and crime reduction measures. In line with this, the Government has in place a plan to achieve a Reserve strength of 2,000 by 2021. With the plan to reach 15,000 Garda members well on track it was possible for the Commissioner and the Public Appointments Service (PAS) to undertake a new recruitment campaign for Garda Reserves last March which attracted 2,394 applicants, of whom 498 successfully completed the initial stages carried out by PAS. These applications are currently being processed by the Garda Appointments Office. The time frame for this can vary due to a number factors including the length of the vetting process which may, for example, be more time consuming if the applicant has resided abroad or is deferred for medical reasons. It is expected that the first class will commence training in the Garda College in the coming months.

i can predict the copy and paste reply he'll receive to that question

That good news hopefully that’s true that the first batch will be starting training Soon

Hi folks, just wanted to let you all know that I went for my medical and was passed fit. Apparently the next stage is to wait and hear from the appointments office. If anyone would like to know about the medical process, just let me know and I'll post something here.

• Advertisement

KimsMom wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wanted to let you all know that I went for my medical and was passed fit. Apparently the next stage is to wait and hear from the appointments office. If anyone would like to know about the medical process, just let me know and I'll post something here.

Well done.Were there many for Reserve Medical do you know?There was only 1 there last week in the morning,when I was there.Congrats again.

Well done.Were there many for Reserve Medical do you know?There was only 1 there last week in the morning,when I was there.Congrats again.
    Hi donman, I was there for around two hours. During that time I would say 8 people came through the waiting room. I figured from the conversations that there was one serving member returning to duty from sick leave, 1 garda applicant who had failed their previous medical and was back to repeat. The rest all seemed to be Garda applicants and they had all applied in June 2017. They were all so eager and enthusiastic - its great to see. One older man went in to the doctors office just as I arrived. I saw him when he came out and he didn't look very happy but I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I would say he was possibly an applicant for the reserves, but I'm only guessing. Overall, things seem to be moving very quickly for the applicants for the Guards from June 2017. They were talking about the open days in Templemore - some had already been and some were going this weekend. Delighted I got through and hopefully we will hear something soon. Many congrats to you also on passing.

Hi donman, I was there for around two hours. During that time I would say 8 people came through the waiting room. I figured from the conversations that there was one serving member returning to duty from sick leave, 1 garda applicant who had failed their previous medical and was back to repeat. The rest all seemed to be Garda applicants and they had all applied in June 2017. They were all so eager and enthusiastic - its great to see. One older man went in to the doctors office just as I arrived. I saw him when he came out and he didn't look very happy but I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I would say he was possibly an applicant for the reserves, but I'm only guessing. Overall, things seem to be moving very quickly for the applicants for the Guards from June 2017. They were talking about the open days in Templemore - some had already been and some were going this weekend. Delighted I got through and hopefully we will hear something soon. Many congrats to you also on passing.

Cheers Kimsmom.Yeah,I was there for two and a half hours.It was very busy.There were 9 in front of me and by the time it was my turn,there were another 9 waiting.I don’t know what happened the girl who was there for the reserve medical.she was 3 ahead of me downstairs but wasn’t there when I went up to the waiting room.She must have been lucky and got away quick.Fingers crossed that it won’t be much longer to wait,but it’s all waiting in this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crusher82

Hi jus wonder what did the medical intail of?? An well done on passing yours I'm still waiting on meeting with local sargent in wexford I was no3 on the list in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi jus wonder what did the medical intail of?? An well done on passing yours I'm still waiting on meeting with local sargent in wexford I was no3 on the list in wexford[/quote]

Same as myself crusher 82, I'm waiting on the seargent and super meeting in wexford as well, except I was placed 46th in Wexford, I sappose vetting is holding us up????

vardy98 wrote: »
    Hi jus wonder what did the medical intail of?? An well done on passing yours I'm still waiting on meeting with local sargent in wexford I was no3 on the list in wexford

Same as myself crusher 82, I'm waiting on the seargent and super meeting in wexford as well, except I was placed 46th in Wexford, I sappose vetting is holding us up????[/quote]

Ya I'd say the vetting is slow but it just like to move on now at this stage as I'm really looking forward to it ... it would be nice to think we would be in training by the end of the year at least ... it's November since I did written and interview with pas when did u do yours ??

Crusher82 wrote: »
    Hi Crusher82, I'll give a short synopsis of it here, hopefully it will help you. I don't think I'm breaking any rules by discussing what's involved so moderators please delete if I am.

Firstly, you'll get an e mail with your appointment about 3 weeks beforehand. You will need your GP to fill in one part of the attached form. The second part gives you instructions for the day and some information on what is involved in the medical.
    On the day I would advise to go early as I was 15 minutes trying to find somewhere to park and it takes about another 15 to check in at reception and find the Medical Centre, so definitely leave yourself plenty of time. Overall my exam took around two hours, so if you're travelling by train or bus, bear that in mind.

The medical is in two parts. When you arrive at the Medical Centre, you check in at reception. They will give you a form to sign, (you can use your glasses for this if needs be). You will also go to the bathroom to prepare your sample at this time, maybe bring a bottle of water with you. Then you wait in the hallway until the nurse calls you. The nurse will take your sample for testing and will proceed to check your height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, and peak flow (lung capacity). The next test they perform is the hearing test - it's hard as you can hear your heartbeat and your breathing, but try and relax and concentrate on the sounds. After this you go upstairs to the waiting room and wait to be called by the doctor.

When you are with the doctor, the first test is the eye test - it's looking into a machine rather than at charts - and it can be done with your glasses on and off. Tell the doctor if you wear glasses normally. There is also a colour blind test involved in this. Following that, there were various tests to check your joint mobility - not sure how to describe them but nothing difficult. It did include touching your toes though. From there, it's up on the bed to check your stomach for any discomfort from pressing hard and finally a listen to your heart and lungs with a stethoscope.

After that the doctor will discuss your results with you - on a general basis unless you want specifics, and then he will tell you whether you have passed or failed. Pass scores for vision are included with the info you get in your e mail but as I can never figure out the 6/12 or 20/20 thing, I'm no help there. I understood from someone in the waiting room that being over 30 on BMI is a fail and you'll have to repeat the exam. Other than that, the colour blind test you either pass or fail - as in you're either colour blind or you are not. The hearing test I can't give you any further help with what is a pass or fail and the general heart/lungs and joint mobility you either pass or fail. For what I could understand from the others in the waiting room, who were going for the full time Gardai positions, the medical is the same for both reserves and full time.

As regards your order of merit for your location, my understanding is that at this point, it's irrelevant - it only mattered for how early you got your interview/Stage 2. Apologies if I have this wrong but I think it's all about how quickly your background checks come back and your interviews with your local Sergeant and Superintendent. As a time frame for me, I applied March 2017, Stage 2 was October 2017, Sergeant interview December 2017, Superintendent interview, January 2018 and Medical, April 2018. This is my first time applying for the Reserves, I'm too old for the full time Guards, and it's a slow process.

I hope this has been helpful to you. My only advice would be to try and relax during the medical, particularly for the hearing and vision tests. Also, if you feel you would benefit by getting a bit fitter, losing some weight, etc., I would get working on it now as when your e mail arrives, you will only have a few weeks to get ready for it. Best of luck and hopefully you'll hear soon.

Hi Crusher82, I'll give a short synopsis of it here, hopefully it will help you. I don't think I'm breaking any rules by discussing what's involved so moderators please delete if I am.

Firstly, you'll get an e mail with your appointment about 3 weeks beforehand. You will need your GP to fill in one part of the attached form. The second part gives you instructions for the day and some information on what is involved in the medical.
    On the day I would advise to go early as I was 15 minutes trying to find somewhere to park and it takes about another 15 to check in at reception and find the Medical Centre, so definitely leave yourself plenty of time. Overall my exam took around two hours, so if you're travelling by train or bus, bear that in mind.

The medical is in two parts. When you arrive at the Medical Centre, you check in at reception. They will give you a form to sign, (you can use your glasses for this if needs be). You will also go to the bathroom to prepare your sample at this time, maybe bring a bottle of water with you. Then you wait in the hallway until the nurse calls you. The nurse will take your sample for testing and will proceed to check your height, weight, BMI, blood pressure, and peak flow (lung capacity). The next test they perform is the hearing test - it's hard as you can hear your heartbeat and your breathing, but try and relax and concentrate on the sounds. After this you go upstairs to the waiting room and wait to be called by the doctor.

When you are with the doctor, the first test is the eye test - it's looking into a machine rather than at charts - and it can be done with your glasses on and off. Tell the doctor if you wear glasses normally. There is also a colour blind test involved in this. Following that, there were various tests to check your joint mobility - not sure how to describe them but nothing difficult. It did include touching your toes though. From there, it's up on the bed to check your stomach for any discomfort from pressing hard and finally a listen to your heart and lungs with a stethoscope.

After that the doctor will discuss your results with you - on a general basis unless you want specifics, and then he will tell you whether you have passed or failed. Pass scores for vision are included with the info you get in your e mail but as I can never figure out the 6/12 or 20/20 thing, I'm no help there. I understood from someone in the waiting room that being over 30 on BMI is a fail and you'll have to repeat the exam. Other than that, the colour blind test you either pass or fail - as in you're either colour blind or you are not. The hearing test I can't give you any further help with what is a pass or fail and the general heart/lungs and joint mobility you either pass or fail. For what I could understand from the others in the waiting room, who were going for the full time Gardai positions, the medical is the same for both reserves and full time.

As regards your order of merit for your location, my understanding is that at this point, it's irrelevant - it only mattered for how early you got your interview/Stage 2. Apologies if I have this wrong but I think it's all about how quickly your background checks come back and your interviews with your local Sergeant and Superintendent. As a time frame for me, I applied March 2017, Stage 2 was October 2017, Sergeant interview December 2017, Superintendent interview, January 2018 and Medical, April 2018. This is my first time applying for the Reserves, I'm too old for the full time Guards, and it's a slow process.

I hope this has been helpful to you. My only advice would be to try and relax during the medical, particularly for the hearing and vision tests. Also, if you feel you would benefit by getting a bit fitter, losing some weight, etc., I would get working on it now as when your e mail arrives, you will only have a few weeks to get ready for it. Best of luck and hopefully you'll hear soon.

Thanks very much for this insight and all information provided it's much appreciated .. I'm the same my self to old for the full time but relish the chance to give something back and hopefully serve I'm in good shape health wise however I am a type 2 diabetic and take tablet for blood pressure having said that I look after myself well an would be well below 30 for bmi I did my test and interview around October also so hopefully I'll get to the next stage very soon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Ya I'd say the vetting is slow but it just like to move on now at this stage as I'm really looking forward to it ... it would be nice to think we would be in training by the end of the year at least ... it's November since I did written and interview with pas when did u do yours ??[/quote]

I no what you mean, I'd love to be starting now too, I done my stage 2 interview and written assessment up with PAS back on the 14th of October 17, and haven't heard anything since I received my results on the 20th of October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭2016claire

Hi All, I did my stage 2 since august 2017 and i haven't heard anything. anyone else same as me ? any advice of what should i do? Thanks

Advertisement