Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

I emailed regarding my vetting and they said that its still outstanding and that im awaiting decision on an educational exemption as i got the smallest difference in maths lol.. i think you had to get atleast a b2 and i got a b3 or c1 idk ... A year and a bit later and thats all thats been done ... I applied the same time as the full time and i just got my offer to start the full time on friday.. so what i dont understand is how can a voluntary position be more important to a full time paid position with more responsibility? I dont get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

SO7378 wrote: »
    I emailed regarding my vetting and they said that its still outstanding and that im awaiting decision on an educational exemption as i got the smallest difference in maths lol.. i think you had to get atleast a b2 and i got a b3 or c1 idk ... A year and a bit later and thats all thats been done ... I applied the same time as the full time and i just got my offer to start the full time on friday.. so what i dont understand is how can a voluntary position be more important to a full time paid position with more responsibility? I dont get it.

Absolutely brilliant news SO7378 and Congratulations on successfully making it through to Fulltime.Delighted for you and I hope you really enjoy your career In the Garda.It really is mind boggling Regards the Reserves.I asked on Friday if there were any dates confirmed yet but answer was NO,and that the College had to confirm any dates for a Reserve Intake.That makes no sense to me as the College should know by now how they stand for intakes.I think they are playing it safe .If they don’t have an intake this year,they are going to be 600 behind as they were to were to take 300 in last year.They won’t make the projected 2000 by 2021 at this rate.Anyway,best of luck and you must be over the moon to be starting next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

donman wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant news SO7378 and Congratulations on successfully making it through to Fulltime.Delighted for you and I hope you really enjoy your career In the Garda.It really is mind boggling Regards the Reserves.I asked on Friday if there were any dates confirmed yet but answer was NO,and that the College had to confirm any dates for a Reserve Intake.That makes no sense to me as the College should know by now how they stand for intakes.I think they are playing it safe .If they don’t have an intake this year,they are going to be 600 behind as they were to were to take 300 in last year.They won’t make the projected 2000 by 2021 at this rate.Anyway,best of luck and you must be over the moon to be starting next month.

Well man ya ur right they are way behind it’s absolutely ridiculous maybe with this new commissioner things will start moving I hope it’s before this year is out

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Such a long waiting game.....

Anyone else have medicals or meetings with sgt/super yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Malman

gem112 wrote: »
    Anyone else have medicals or meetings with sgt/super yet

Medical last December!! Sgt/super last Aug. The medical is only good for six months... So have to do it again..

I was told it was a year...hope it is.... couldnt go thorough that again lol

Policing report due out today.... looking into future rolls of the force.... may be some good news for us

From the future of policing report.......

9. As noted earlier in this chapter, the government has proposed that the Garda Reserve should be expanded to 2,000 members. A police reserve component can be useful for several reasons. It is a cost effective way to provide surge capacity for police to cope with special events. It can also offer policing experience to people who may be interested in joining the police but possibly undecided or wary about applying. In this way, a reserve can help promote diversity.

10. A reserve will, however, only be truly effective if it is treated as a serious commitment on the part of the reservist, and as a valued resource on the part of the regular police. An effective reserve programme should be structured and managed consistently throughout the country. While we have heard positive assessments of reserve deployment at large events in urban areas and many examples of committed individuals willing to give their time to assist with other work, on the whole the system does not seem to us to be working well. Many reservists are not managed within a structured schedule. They are not trained adequately, which raises issues of customer service and officer safety, and their duties are not well defined. We understand that Reserve numbers have dwindled in recent years and that a planned strategic review of the Reserve is still awaited.

11. We see the value that a reserve can bring in support of policing work (not to replace professional police) and as a way of giving potential future recruits insight into policing as a career. However, the Garda Reserve programme as it stands is not realising its potential. We recommend that further recruitment to the Garda Reserve should now be paused, pending the outcome of a comprehensive strategic review, examining how best to structure a reserve to meet the needs of the police service which should recommend proposals for significant reform. Other ways of engaging the wider community in support of policing should also be examined. Engagement programmes for young people, such as the Police Explorer and cadet programmes used in the United States and elsewhere, can be effective ways to promote diversity of recruitment.

Does this mean we are in or out....or what happens now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Doesn't look very positive for immediate recruitment. Feel very dissapointed but sure it seems to be the theme of the whole campaign :-)

This report is full of recommendations..... question is will they follow the recommendations

Does this mean we are in or out....or what happens now

Think we can wave goodbye to getting a date.Why don’t they just do everyone a favour and disband the damn thing.Hurdle after hurdle.Now that they are calling for a pause,that could be anything from a year or two and will lead to a new recruitment campaign which means we will all have to reapply.By that stage there will be very few Reservists left.Only hope we have is that they will carry forward with the numbers waiting as there has been no other reserve recruitment campaign since 2017.I won’t hold my breath though.Ye wouldn’t get this farce in any other country.

Sit tight and see what happens..... its a pain....
    It dose say future recurtment

Omg that’s an absolute joke that would be totally unfair to us. There is nothing wrong with the reserves and it should be valued more. We better get called for it soon.

They have till 2022 to act on these recommendations..... there will be no one left in the reserves by then..... i will be very surprised if they dont take us....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Malman

Ive gotten the feeling all along Charlie flanagan is very pro reserves.Its in the program for government. I firmly believe they will recruit before end of year. The focus is to get feet on the street and fast. These are just recommendations..

Malman wrote: »
    Ive gotten the feeling all along Charlie flanagan is very pro reserves.Its in the program for government. I firmly believe they will recruit before end of year. The focus is to get feet on the street and fast. These are just recommendations..

Ya man think your right like they are behind on having numbers in by a year so has to be now

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    Ya man think your right like they are behind on having numbers in by a year so has to be now
    End of the road by the looks of it.What a farce. Department of Justice and Equality
    Garda Reserve

Photo of Jim O'CallaghanJim O'Callaghan (Dublin Bay South, Fianna Fail)
    Link to this: Individually | In context
    75. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of Garda reserves in each of the years 2010 to 2017 and to date in 2018; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [37952/18]
    Photo of Charles FlanaganCharles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)
    I am advised by the Commissioner that the strength of the Reserve on 31 July 2018 was 549. It is regrettable that there has been a substantial reduction in the strength of the Reserve in recent years from a peak of 1,164 in 2013. The fall-off arises from a range of factors, not least the lifting in 2014 of the moratorium on recruitment of trainee Gardaí which has affected Reserve numbers in two ways: firstly, since 2014, 276 serving Reserves have successfully applied to become trainee Gardaí, and secondly, both An Garda Síochána and the Public Appointments Service (PAS) have been focused on delivering an accelerated programme of recruitment of full time members of An Garda Síochána. I am sure that the Deputy will agree, notwithstanding the very valuable contribution of Reserve members throughout the country, that it was the right decision, with finite resources, to prioritise running recruitment campaigns to replenish the full-time ranks of An Garda Síochána over the last three years.
    The Deputy will be aware that the Report of the Commission on the Future of Policing , while recognising the value of a Garda Reserve, has recommended that recruitment to the Garda Reserve should be paused, pending the outcome of the Strategic Review. I have indicated my intention to seek Government’s approval for a High Level Implementation Plan following further detailed consideration of the Report and discussions with the Garda Commissioner, relevant Government Departments and Agencies. Future plans for the Garda Reserve will be taken forward in that context.
    The information requested by the Deputy as provided by the Garda Commissioner, is available on my Department’s website through the following link.
    For more general information on Garda Facts and Figures please see the following link:
    Photo of Jim O'CallaghanJim O'Callaghan (Dublin Bay South, Fianna Fail)
    76. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of Garda reserves who claimed the allowance of €1,000 which is only payable to reservists who complete a minimum of 208 hours annually in each of the years 2010 to 2017 and to date in 2018; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [37953/18]
    Photo of Charles FlanaganCharles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)
    As the Deputy will appreciate, the Garda Commissioner is responsible for the distribution of resources, including personnel, among the various Garda Divisions and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. Garda management keeps this distribution of resources under continual review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities so as to ensure that the optimum use is made of these resources.
    Ihave requested the details of the number of Garda Reserves that claimed the allowance of €1,000 in each of the years 2010-2017 and to date in 2018 from the Commissioner and I will write to the Deputy on receipt of same.

Sit tight and see what happens..... its a pain....
    It dose say future recurtment

Been onto Appointments this morning and as far as they are concerned,there is NO pause as recommended in the report.They are still processing for the Reserves and are awaiting Training dates.Fingers crossed we are going to be ok and that we will get a Training date.

• Advertisement

The report is only a recommendation

donman wrote: »
    Been onto Appointments this morning and as far as they are concerned,there is NO pause as recommended in the report.They are still processing for the Reserves and are awaiting Training dates.Fingers crossed we are going to be ok and that we will get a Training date.

That’s good news ya hopefully we will get it soon and start soon did they say if they have any indication of dates ?

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    That’s good news ya hopefully we will get it soon and start soon did they say if they have any indication of dates ?

No dates as of today.They are awaiting confirmation from the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Emailed them aswell Wednesday and got same reply that the matter was being dealt with by staff at the college. I'd be thinking that the pause is in relation to any more campaigns that might of been planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Tommy_utd16

Hard to tell what will happen, like they will need to keep some numbers in the reserve if they want to keep it going and progress it in the future I.e. Put few classes through from this reserve recruitment campaign.

If I was you I would ring the college see if they have any dates for one of the weekend induction / phase 1

Hard to tell what will happen, like they will need to keep some numbers in the reserve if they want to keep it going and progress it in the future I.e. Put few classes through from this reserve recruitment campaign.

If I was you I would ring the college see if they have any dates for one of the weekend induction / phase 1

Ya that’s true man they will have to take us in for numbers. Did anyone ring the college ?

I would say the college will say ring HR

Any upates from any one

Any upates from any one

Nothing.It’s like pulling hens teeth.

• Advertisement

I know.... so frustrating..

Advertisement