Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

I’m going on 35 next year so I’m gone too old for full time and I’ll be 40 by the time I get into the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Too old for full time aswell, I really regret not going for it a few years ago when I was under the age limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

donman wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Gals,wonder could I throw this out there if ye are happy to answer.Who going for the Reserves,intends to go onto Fulltime eventually.Me personally,am to old for Fulltime.Maybe the Reserves is something your happy just to do,and have no intentions of going any further.

Well lad ya I intend on going for full time eventually just want to get experience first with the reserves

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Too old...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

gem112 wrote: »
    Too old...

Thanks everyone so far for your replies.I was just curious and so far find it interesting in the age group,that most of us are outside the Fulltime age.I know it’s only a small number so far but Appreciate the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Also intending to go fulltime, joining the reserves to get experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Willm5499

1 year over the limit but look as I've said before the laws are constantly changing and none of us really know what we are going to feel for the job until we get a taste. If we like it, have enough passion and prove we are an asset to the organisation you never know what opportunities might arise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

I also intend on joining the full time it's all I want to do, I'm only 20 so I'm probably the baby on here hahahahaha

vardy98 wrote: »
    I also intend on joining the full time it's all I want to do, I'm only 20 so I'm probably the baby on here hahahahaha

Your not the only one lad I’m 21 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    Your not the only one lad I’m 21 ��

same, only 20 also...me and Vardy98 got a raw deal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jb969665

Good news today for all of us ''older candidates'' who currently can't join the full time..The age limit is to be increased

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1205/1015271-age-barrier-gardai

Would love to go full-time but couldn't take the drop in wages

jb969665 wrote: »
    Good news today for all of us ''older candidates'' who currently can't join the full time..The age limit is to be increased

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1205/1015271-age-barrier-gardai

Great news,but should have been the case years ago like other countries.Tried on a few occasions years ago,but personally today,at the age I’m at,I don’t think i’d Want the stress of the job.Being a Reservist would suit me nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

That's really interesting news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Guys I've my medical thursday just want a few things cleared up, what should I wear? How early should I arrive before the time? And where is the best place to park can I park outside hq. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

Wear casual neat there’s no running, I arrive 40 minutes early and I was still waiting at reception and there is parking outside the main gate but there didn’t seem too many spaces left when I was going in.

Guys I've my medical thursday just want a few things cleared up, what should I wear? How early should I arrive before the time? And where is the best place to park can I park outside hq. Thanks

Best of luck vardy98.I’d prefer to be too early than rushing and stressing out.I’ve been twice,and like to be at least an hour early .Traffic is crazy,and if you can get parked,then you have a bit of time just to relax before going in.You can park outside HQ,but it’s pot luck.I went in about 20-30 mins before the time,as you have to register at reception,so have ID with you.Make sure you have any documents with you,requested in your email,and have your Doctors phone number as you need that for the form which has to be filled out at Medical reception.Casual dress is fine.be prepared for a long wait.First time I was there(2015),I was in and out in an hour and a half,but this year,I was around 3 hours.Best of luck for Thursday.

Ah I'm delighted to hear that Vardy98 best of luck with it. So it does look like there is a bit of progress going on with the applications.
    That meeting Commissioner Harris had with the Policing Authority about two weeks ago must have got the ball rolling for the reserves topic that was brought up. Let's hope everyone gets the invites this or next week and flys through it. I'm chuffed for ya.....

Willm5499 wrote: »
    Ah I'm delighted to hear that Vardy98 best of luck with it. So it does look like there is a bit of progress going on with the applications.
    That meeting Commissioner Harris had with the Policing Authority about two weeks ago must have got the ball rolling for the reserves topic that was brought up. Let's hope everyone gets the invites this or next week and flys through it. I'm chuffed for ya.....

It’s looking very promising for a Reserve Intake,as the Fulltime Intake for January,is now pushed back to April.So hopefully there will be word soon.

donman wrote: »
    It’s looking very promising for a Reserve Intake,as the Fulltime Intake for January,is now pushed back to April.So hopefully there will be word soon.

Im hoping the emails will go out this week, medicals next week, uniforms fitted 2nd week in January & training 3rd or 4th week in January. That would be perfect for us that work fulltime as we would have holidays to take. I'm hoping the training is a straight two or three week period rather than weekends... Does anyone know when you find out what way the training is actually being structured?

• Advertisement

Willm5499 wrote: »
    Im hoping the emails will go out this week, medicals next week, uniforms fitted 2nd week in January & training 3rd or 4th week in January. That would be perfect for us that work fulltime as we would have holidays to take. I'm hoping the training is a straight two or three week period rather than weekends... Does anyone know when you find out what way the training is actually being structured?

I’d expect emails this week or next,but that’s just a hunch.No-one will know what way it will be done until emails come out.Our structure back in 2015 was 2 days-2 Full weeks and 2 days.All being done in one 4 week block.Just have to wait and see.

Still dont think we will hear anything before xmas....

I would prefer if it was the 2 full weeks.... get it over with

This is good news that things are moving getting excited now. Ya I hope we get those emails this week or next.

Best of luck to all doing the medicals tomorrow

Sent you a pm vardy98.You need to clear some of your pm’s as it won’t go to you.

Hi All..I had my Medical this morning and passed.Doctor told me to tell the receptionist that I passed.She told me no dates are yet set for Training of Reserves.I asked her if she had any more info on it and she said they are basically waiting on a full class before training goes ahead.She said there was quite a few drop outs since the latest recruitment drive began.She reckons it will be January before we get any further details.Medical in total(including waiting) took only 1hour 20 mins.

Well done.... think they are looking at about 50 for a full class

gem112 wrote: »
    Well done.... think they are looking at about 50 for a full class

Oh really.. should be no problem with getting 50 so..At the last meeting,I thought Commisioner Harris said 200 new Reserves are awaiting training?

• Advertisement

jb969665 wrote: »
    Hi All..I had my Medical this morning and passed.Doctor told me to tell the receptionist that I passed.She told me no dates are yet set for Training of Reserves.I asked her if she had any more info on it and she said they are basically waiting on a full class before training goes ahead.She said there was quite a few drop outs since the latest recruitment drive began.She reckons it will be January before we get any further details.Medical in total(including waiting) took only 1hour 20 mins.

Ah that's great news JB, I'm delighted for you. Thanks for the update on that. Well done...

Advertisement