Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda reserve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I'd say we all sent it back the second we received it :-)

I wonder will there be a drop in numbers with people gone for the full time or not interested anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crusher82

I was on to hr last week an he said they are in the process of doing 200 br checks so I'd say the numbers are still well up ..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Fingers crossed there is enough who have done medicals to start a class soon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

For the people who sent back ‘yes they are still interested’..has anyone heard back yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

For the people who sent back ‘yes they are still interested’..has anyone heard back yet ?

No lad haven’t heard anything

• Advertisement

Hyneser03 wrote: »

Cheers man, I actually think I read it wrong..it said ‘If we do not receive a response by Wednesday 30th January’

I panicked and read it as ‘if you don’t hear a response by wedneday 30th january’ 😅 sound anyway

Cheers man, I actually think I read it wrong..it said ‘If we do not receive a response by Wednesday 30th January’

I panicked and read it as ‘if you don’t hear a response by wedneday 30th january’ 😅 sound anyway

Ya from looking at other years I say we will get dates in February and start training in March hopefully

When i rang a few weeks ago they said they wouod give us at least 4 weeks notice.....

Written answersWednesday, 30 January 2019

Department of Justice and EqualityGarda Strength

Bernard Durkan (Kildare North, Fine Gael)
    Link to this: Individually | In context

142. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of members of An Garda Síochána including reservemembers available for duty at all times nationally; the extent to which membership of the force continues to be deployed in order to bring the strength of the force up to optimum levels in all areas; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4661/19]

Charles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)

As the Deputy will appreciate, the GardaCommissioner is responsible for the distribution of personnel and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. Garda management keeps this distribution under review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities to ensure optimum use is made of the resources.

I am informed by the Commissioner that as of the 31 December 2018 the overall strength of An GardaSíochána was 14,032 with 530 Reserves and 2,430 Civilians.

I can assure the Deputy that this Government is committed to ensuring a strong and visible police presence throughout the country in order to maintain and strengthen community engagement, provide reassurance to citizens and to deter crime.

Since the reopening of the Garda College in September 2014, almost 2,400 recruits have attested as members of An Garda Síochána and have been assigned to mainstream duties nationwide. Garda numbers reached the target of 14,000 by the end of 2018 are on track to reach 15,000 by 2021.

The Commissioner has this year been provided with an additional €100 million bringing his budget to almost €1.8 billion which includes provision for the recruitment of up to 800 Gardaí next year.

The Commissioner has informed me that he intends to recruit a total of 600 trainee Gardaí in 2019 while in tandem it is his intention to recruit a net 600 Garda Staff (civilians). This increase of Garda staff will enable the Commissioner to redeploy 500 Gardaí from administrative duties to frontline policing in 2019.

The Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland, in its report published in September 2018 and which was adopted by the Government in December 2018 recommended that recruitment to the Garda Reserve be paused, pending completion of a strategic review of the Reserve, with a view to ensuring that the best possible use is made of this valuable resource.

It is disappointing that the number of Garda ReserveMembers has dropped in recent years. The strength of the Reserve as of 31 December 2018 was 530. However, both the Government and the GardaCommissioner remain committed to increasing the strength of the Garda Reserve and to that end I have been informed by the Commissioner that a training class of approximately 100 Garda Reserves, who successfully applied under previous recruitment drives will commence training in the first quarter of 2019.

For more general information on Garda Facts and Figures please see the following link:

Comments

No comments

• Advertisement

gem112 wrote: »
    Written answersWednesday, 30 January 2019

Department of Justice and EqualityGarda Strength

Bernard Durkan (Kildare North, Fine Gael)

142. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality the number of members of An Garda Síochána including reservemembers available for duty at all times nationally; the extent to which membership of the force continues to be deployed in order to bring the strength of the force up to optimum levels in all areas; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4661/19]

Charles Flanagan (Laois, Fine Gael)

As the Deputy will appreciate, the GardaCommissioner is responsible for the distribution of personnel and I, as Minister, have no direct role in the matter. Garda management keeps this distribution under review in the context of crime trends and policing priorities to ensure optimum use is made of the resources.

I am informed by the Commissioner that as of the 31 December 2018 the overall strength of An GardaSíochána was 14,032 with 530 Reserves and 2,430 Civilians.

I can assure the Deputy that this Government is committed to ensuring a strong and visible police presence throughout the country in order to maintain and strengthen community engagement, provide reassurance to citizens and to deter crime.

Since the reopening of the Garda College in September 2014, almost 2,400 recruits have attested as members of An Garda Síochána and have been assigned to mainstream duties nationwide. Garda numbers reached the target of 14,000 by the end of 2018 are on track to reach 15,000 by 2021.

The Commissioner has this year been provided with an additional €100 million bringing his budget to almost €1.8 billion which includes provision for the recruitment of up to 800 Gardaí next year.

The Commissioner has informed me that he intends to recruit a total of 600 trainee Gardaí in 2019 while in tandem it is his intention to recruit a net 600 Garda Staff (civilians). This increase of Garda staff will enable the Commissioner to redeploy 500 Gardaí from administrative duties to frontline policing in 2019.

The Commission on the Future of Policing in Ireland, in its report published in September 2018 and which was adopted by the Government in December 2018 recommended that recruitment to the Garda Reserve be paused, pending completion of a strategic review of the Reserve, with a view to ensuring that the best possible use is made of this valuable resource.

It is disappointing that the number of Garda ReserveMembers has dropped in recent years. The strength of the Reserve as of 31 December 2018 was 530. However, both the Government and the GardaCommissioner remain committed to increasing the strength of the Garda Reserve and to that end I have been informed by the Commissioner that a training class of approximately 100 Garda Reserves, who successfully applied under previous recruitment drives will commence training in the first quarter of 2019.

For more general information on Garda Facts and Figures please see the following link:

Comments

No comments

I hope we will get dates next week

Bit of luck.....

Does anyone know can we be stationed in the same town as we work in even though it’s not our immediate neighborhood it would be like half an hour drive from home ?

Hyneser03 wrote: »
    Does anyone know can we be stationed in the same town as we work in even though it’s not our immediate neighborhood it would be like half an hour drive from home ?

As far as I’m aware, you can be stationed wherever you want *i think* (or within close proximity)...my understanding for this is because it is voluntary and people have to work and take care of their families. Again I think I am right but not sure...hope that helps

As far as I’m aware, you can be stationed wherever you want *i think* (or within close proximity)...my understanding for this is because it is voluntary and people have to work and take care of their families. Again I think I am right but not sure...hope that helps

That’s perfect thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jb969665

I emailed this morning looking for possible Training dates,see below response.

Dear applicant,

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your email.

While we haven’t been provided with definitive dates for Garda Reserve Training, April 2019 has been one of the suggestions.

However as the training schedule hasn’t been fully confirmed, unfortunately, I am unable to assist you any further until determined otherwise.

Kind regards

Intresting

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

Very interesting.

Does anyone know the training structure? Is it during the week/weekends, times etc..?

Id like yo know too

paddyCPW wrote: »
    Very interesting.

Does anyone know the training structure? Is it during the week/weekends, times etc..?

All I could find:

Phase I: Two day induction Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College, Templemore, Co. Tipperary covering the following areas: Introduction to An Garda Síochána, Human Rights, Discipline, Ethics and Organisational Culture.

Phase II: A 2 week all inclusive course to be held at the Garda College (Monday Friday not including weekends). The Course will include training in Retractable Baton, Incapacitant Spray and Tetra Radio.

Phase III: Two day Course (Weekdays) at the Garda College.

Phase IV: Minimum of 40 hours on the job training at a designated Garda Station to include accompanied beat patrol and station duty.

Phase V: 1 day Attestation and Graduation ceremony - Weekday at the Garda College

• Advertisement

Did you get that off the garda website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Windows95

Anyone heard anything about powers? Harris is all about getting uniforms out on the street, guess he could be looking at the “police special” model. Full powers, independent patrol, driving, investigation of own incidents, etc your just not paid and are classed as a volunteer.

I’d bet it’s a hindrance being paired with a full timer who doesn’t want to leave the station or can’t because of paperwork. Then what do you do.

Windows95.... have heard nothing...

Windows95 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything about powers? Harris is all about getting uniforms out on the street, guess he could be looking at the “police special” model. Full powers, independent patrol, driving, investigation of own incidents, etc your just not paid and are classed as a volunteer.

I’d bet it’s a hindrance being paired with a full timer who doesn’t want to leave the station or can’t because of paperwork. Then what do you do.

Hopefully they do something like that it would be good for the reserves to be able to go on the beat on their own and more powers it would free up at lot of Gardai aswell

Lads lets just get in the door first

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Windows95

You’d think they’d do CPD1 driving course if were there for 2 weeks straight. Was speaking to a full timer who said it’s only a 20 min drive. Would make us a bit more useful 🚓

Cant see it happening in the near future..... I've been told that the two weeks is fairly intense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Windows95 wrote: »
    You’d think they’d do CPD1 driving course if were there for 2 weeks straight. Was speaking to a full timer who said it’s only a 20 min drive. Would make us a bit more useful ��

The full time don't even come out with that so not a hope for reservists.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Joonnor212

Does anyone know how many people are going for the reserve?
    If they are only taking 100 for training and 300 are waiting to get in, that would mean another long wait for some of us till the next training dates.

• Advertisement

They must have 100 or so through the medicals by now....... they started doing them last December......

Advertisement