Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Fibre & Netplug technology

Options
  • 15-09-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I've just had e-fibre installed today and have run into a bit of an issue. My set up before was router plugged into primary phone socket in my hallway from this i had ethernet cable going into a Devolo netplug (85Mbps) to which I have my PC connected in the kitchen via another netplug and then a third ethernet/netplug setup in the living room for the smart tv. All was well and each device ran equally well and at similar speeds.

However with the new e-fibre connection the PC's broadband speed is pretty unimpressive @ 12.5Mbps on average. I've plugged in my laptop directly to the new router that eircom installed and I'm getting test results of anywhere between 45Mbps & 99Mbps. Before I go and purchase a 10M ethernet cable (to plug PC directly into the router) and drill holes in the walls of the house, has anyone here had similar experience and how did you go about rectifying?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

I've just had e-fibre installed today and have run into a bit of an issue. My set up before was router plugged into primary phone socket in my hallway from this i had ethernet cable going into a Devolo netplug (85Mbps) to which I have my PC connected in the kitchen via another netplug and then a third ethernet/netplug setup in the living room for the smart tv. All was well and each device ran equally well and at similar speeds.

However with the new e-fibre connection the PC's broadband speed is pretty unimpressive @ 12.5Mbps on average. I've plugged in my laptop directly to the new router that eircom installed and I'm getting test results of anywhere between 45Mbps & 99Mbps. Before I go and purchase a 10M ethernet cable (to plug PC directly into the router) and drill holes in the walls of the house, has anyone here had similar experience and how did you go about rectifying?

thanks

85mbps homeplugs suck... go out and invest in 500mbps homeplugs and you will see huge improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

85mbps homeplugs suck... go out and invest in 500mbps homeplugs and you will see huge improvement

thanks for your technical analysis of the situation ;-) Do you have personal experience of netplugs with a higher transfer rate improving this type of issue? My concern is that it doesnt make a difference what type of netplug I have in place as somehow it is the copper wire that is my home power network is the limiting factor; ergo I would be best served connecting directly to router via ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I'll share my experience ...
    VF Fibre , getting 94D/18U when connected into router , getting about 70D/17U through TP-Link 500mbps model.
    Speeds will vary depending on the 'noise' on your electric circuit but I used that setup for 12 months without any major issues.
    As I needed more speed for streaming HD to TV , I pulled a cat5e cable from the router to attic office last week ... works like a charm
    My 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Unlike wireless and homeplugs a cat5 cable does gigabit (1000mbit) full duplex (can send and receive at the same time), it's a no-brainer, futureproof your house, you'll be glad you did

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

thanks for your technical analysis of the situation ;-) Do you have personal experience of netplugs with a higher transfer rate improving this type of issue? My concern is that it doesnt make a difference what type of netplug I have in place as somehow it is the copper wire that is my home power network is the limiting factor; ergo I would be best served connecting directly to router via ethernet cable.

85mbps home plugs have very poor range (between plugs) compared to 500mbps ones

also the actual throughput of 85mbps plugs is not much more than 12mbs on good electrical wiring

the 500mbps homes plugs should give you an actual throughput of 200mbps+ on good electrical wiring

to describe powerline speeds is a bit like wifi.

in wifi you get mitigating factors that cause speed to drop (cordless phones / baby monitors, thick walls etc)
    in powerline adapter you also get mitigating factors to cause speed loss (old wiring, spur wiring, distance between power outlets etc)

wireless B = max speed 11mbps = powerline equivalent is 85mbps
    wireless G = max speed 54mbps = powerline equivalent is 200mbps
    wireless N = max speed 300mps = powerline equivalent is 500mbps
    wireless AC = max speed 1.7gbps = powerline equivalent is 1000mbps

for most modern houses the 500mbps is more than capable of delivering good decent speeds without the need to drill holes in your walls

for houses with old wiring, cat5e is the best option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

85mbps home plugs have very poor range (between plugs) compared to 500mbps ones

also the actual throughput of 85mbps plugs is not much more than 12mbs on good electrical wiring

the 500mbps homes plugs should give you an actual throughput of 200mbps+ on good electrical wiring

to describe powerline speeds is a bit like wifi.

in wifi you get mitigating factors that cause speed to drop (cordless phones / baby monitors, thick walls etc)
    in powerline adapter you also get mitigating factors to cause speed loss (old wiring, spur wiring, distance between power outlets etc)

wireless B = max speed 11mbps = powerline equivalent is 85mbps
    wireless G = max speed 54mbps = powerline equivalent is 200mbps
    wireless N = max speed 300mps = powerline equivalent is 500mbps
    wireless AC = max speed 1.7gbps = powerline equivalent is 1000mbps

for most modern houses the 500mbps is more than capable of delivering good decent speeds without the need to drill holes in your walls

for houses with old wiring, cat5e is the best option

You should never heed the theoretical speeds of any of these. Those wireless speeds are theoretical, ie, only achievable in a lab, in a controlled environment in a faraday cage with no interference. The actual speeds are:
    Wireless B: maxes at ~6mbps
    Wireless G: maxes at ~30mbps
    Wireless N: maxes at ~80-100mbps, not much more

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

Excellent response fellas, much appreciated - any suggestions of where I'd pick up cat5e at wholesale price - Maplin were looking for €50 for 20M

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just go into your local electrical wholesalers (where electricans go) and ask them for x-m's of cat5.

and you'll need a crimper for the RJ45 connectors.
    if thats too much hassle - lads on adcverts.ie selling diofferent lenghts.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a 100m reel, crimping tool and a bag of RJ45 heads. Consider it an investment in your future networking.

Advertisement