Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish (Sweet) Chessnut growing

• 15-09-2014 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Sweet Chessnut growing...

Just wondering ...

Does anyone Grow Chessnut Groves/orchards In Ireland
    and if not why Not?
    For harvesting of nuts
    Is it a question of climate, economics or lack of market?
    What Wild creatures would eat them if you did grow them?

Regards

220px-Chestnuts.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castanea_sativa

edit
    Just searched this forum this is only thread with chessnut in title , weird

I meant to say for harvesting the nuts primary on a year to year basis as opposed to timber plantations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A search for Sweet Chestnut:

here in Forestry

all of boards.ie

you may also like to have a read of this:

a DoFMA info sheet on Castanea sativa

I have seen Sweet Chestnut used for coppice stands in the UK, but not here.

Perhaps if you contact these people they may be able to give you more detailed information on Sweet Chestnut plantations grown for the nut harvest in Ireland.

Irish Nut Growers Association

EDIT
    It is the intention of the Irish Nut Growers Association to help disseminate the knowledge and informaton gleaned from these trials so that other people interested in growing nuts in Ireland (and in other countries with similar climates) can benefit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I 'think' the chestnuts were ground to make flour in bye-gone days. A seed grown tree in the garden, about 18 years old has its first crop of nuts this year. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Had the kids out the other day collecting ordinary chestnut conkers and they had a great time. Great crop this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

greysides wrote: »
    I 'think' the chestnuts were ground to make flour in bye-gone days. A seed grown tree in the garden, about 18 years old has its first crop of nuts this year. :)

says 4-6 yrs for first crop in link in post #3

• Advertisement
Advertisement