Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour label printer

Options
  • 16-09-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a label printer that prints in colour (at least three colours) and would be suitable for printing and labelling small bubble liquid tubs for kids partys?

Ideally something that can print onto plastic rolls and replacement ink and rolls don't cost an absolute fortune.

Thanks for any advice.

Available in Ireland or online, I'm not in too much of a hurry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Most of the label printing companies offer short run digital colour labels on standard paper/plastic labelstock. They will also have a wide variety of ink formulations and ink curing systems, as you will need one impervious to the detergents in bubble liquid. Regular inkjet printers have no ink curing and are poor on plastics, tears assured!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a label printer that prints in colour (at least three colours) and would be suitable for printing and labelling small bubble liquid tubs for kids partys?

Ideally something that can print onto plastic rolls and replacement ink and rolls don't cost an absolute fortune.

Thanks for any advice.

Available in Ireland or online, I'm not in too much of a hurry.

Is it the tub itself you want printed or can just a label that can be applied to tubs be suitable?

Also, what quality is required? - If its kids parties and you want to personalise the tubs for each party, then get a high gloss polyester label (basically a plastic label) and print on a good colour laser printer.

We use flexilabels in UK http://www.flexilabels.co.uk for our blank labels that are used for peronalisation of one product we do and then use a simple label program (visual labels from tailwag software is very easy and cheap) to create designs.

Labels, (once you are buying about 500 sheets) work out at about 30c a sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

That's great advice delahuntv, thanks.

Yes it's the actual stick on label that I'm looking for. I have contacted Flexilabels and am waiting on a reply from them, but as you say, the high gloss polyester labels look like they will fit the bill.

Now, can you advise on a suitable colour printer that uses waterproof ink, or does the ink need to be waterproof once applied to polyester labels?

As a rough guide, I would be printing about 20 - 30 labels (not sheets) per day.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.

laser printers use fused powder, as far as I know, and not an ink as such. You will need to do a simple rub test with your liquid to verify suitability.

Yes sorry, it needs to be a laser printer that uses colour toner.
    Would I be correct in saying that HP are one of the more cost efficient brands to use?

My current HP Mono HP 1020 has served me very well over the past couple of years and is an absolute miser on toner.

• Advertisement

The machines are all pretty much of a muchness, they all make their money out of inks and toners! Using non-OEM brand after-market products which are fine, can save a real bundle on print costs.

That's great advice delahuntv, thanks.

Yes it's the actual stick on label that I'm looking for. I have contacted Flexilabels and am waiting on a reply from them, but as you say, the high gloss polyester labels look like they will fit the bill.

Now, can you advise on a suitable colour printer that uses waterproof ink, or does the ink need to be waterproof once applied to polyester labels?

As a rough guide, I would be printing about 20 - 30 labels (not sheets) per day.

Thanks again, really appreciate the advice.

We just use a decent quality Dell colour laser printer. A product we used to personalise would have been handled constantly over many hours by sweaty hands and the print would last well over a year before any major deterioration in the print.

Current printer we use is Dell 3765DN - great machine and can be got online for about €400-€500 including 1st of inks. Thereafter use compatible inks for the likes of Do It Wiser (available on Amazon).

This 1765dnf printer at £140 (about €175) would probably suit your needs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-C1765NF-Multifunction-Colour-Printer/dp/B00AAWJC20/

You're a star, thanks so much.

So basically any decent colour laser will print onto the Poly labels and stay intact for at least a few weeks?

I'd like to stick with HP as I've used them over the years and found them to be ultra reliable.

You're a star, thanks so much.

So basically any decent colour laser will print onto the Poly labels and stay intact for at least a few weeks?

I'd like to stick with HP as I've used them over the years and found them to be ultra reliable.

yep - the poly label is great from laser printing and looks great and yes, use the printer company you are used to. They all effectively do the same job.

Thanks, you've been a great help and I appreciate the advice. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Hi OP,

I was kind of in your situation. I have a product that requires two labels describing it etc (On glass).

So me being the savvy business man I am. I got a printer free online from adverts! A fantastic Canon Pixma MG2150.
    It's such a good printer and I got it for free! Then I bought full label sheets and got 4 labels on to one sheet if you get me! I then cut them out to size and it works a treat. :)

Advertisement