Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Borussia Dortmund vs Arsenal (KO 19:45 16/09)

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Good ole Wenger not signing a good striker CBs and a Big physical DM when they needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

He's got into good positions but how many times has he forced a save from the keeper? Not once.
    You have to hit the target at least. He didn't do it once.

He's 23 and far from finishing his development. Writing him off after two games a bit shortsighted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Looking through both teams playing tonight, our team man for man is a fair bit better than Dortmunds. That just proves its a tactically decisive win for Klopp.

It's not though. None of the back four would get into the Dortmund team. And Aubamyang, Bender and Immobile would walk into that Arsenal team.
    I said on this thread earlier today that people were underestimating Dortmund and it seems I was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

It's not though. None of the back four would get into the Dortmund team. And Aubamyang, Bender and Immobile would walk into that Arsenal team.
    I said on this thread earlier today that people were underestimating Dortmund and it seems I was correct.

Immobile yeah thats true actually. Not sure about the rest however, I reckon even Welbeck in that team would look amazing as its so tactically astute.

I see Dortmund as similar to the Dutch in the last world cup. Its a fairly average team player wise with one or two very good players. The rest just do their jobs, but very efficiently. One of the attributes most of the players in that Dortmund team seem to have is stamina, especially Groskreuts, Bender and Aubemayang. Everything described in this paragraph is hugely important and was also lacking in the Arsenal team today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gangsta wrote: »
    He's 23 and far from finishing his development. Writing him off after two games a bit shortsighted.

I haven't written him off.
    I summarised his game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Immobile yeah thats true actually. Not sure about the rest however, I reckon even Welbeck in that team would look amazing as its so tactically astute.

I see Dortmund as similar to the Dutch in the last world cup. Its a fairly average team player wise with one or two very good players. The rest just do their jobs, but very efficiently. One of the attributes most of the players in that Dortmund team seem to have is stamina, especially Groskreuts, Bender and Aubemayang. Everything described in this paragraph is hugely important and was also lacking in the Arsenal team today.

I might agree with you on Grosskreutz, but either one of the Bender twins is exactly what Arsenal need in midfield and Aubameyang on current form would easily replace Ozil. And remember Dortmund tonight were missing Piszczek, Hummels, Gundogen, Sahin, Blaszczykowski and Reus. They have more than one or two good players.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Im predicting a 3-1 win for the arsenal, dortmund arent the team they were last year in my opinion
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Where did i get my opinion from?!

Some of their most important players are out for tonight, sahin, reus, gundogan, hummels etc, dont see the danger in them tonight

Got that a bit wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Got that a bit wrong...

You can make almost anyone look foolish with hindsight. His reasoning wasn't far off but we were just horrific tonight.

I might agree with you on Grosskreutz, but either one of the Bender twins is exactly what Arsenal need in midfield and Aubameyang on current form would easily replace Ozil. And remember Dortmund tonight were missing Piszczek, Hummels, Gundogen, Sahin, Blaszczykowski and Reus. They have more than one or two good players.

As a squad yup they do have some great players. But the 11vs11 tonight is what I was mainly talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

As a Dortmund fan I'm fairly happy with tonight! Aubameyang starting a potentially prolific run in the Bundesliga and CL. Mhkitarian has to put on his shooting boots though! BVB weren't clinical tonight.

On paper, I think that Arsenal had a better team, but they weren't as cohesive a unit as Dortmund. There is a theory that Klopp gets the best out of his players. Each player that has left hasn't been as good than with the unit.

BVB could field two sufficient teams aswell.

First XI:
    Weidenfeller,
    Pizcek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer,
    Bender, Gundogan
    Kagawa, Reus, Blazyckowski
    Immobile

Second XI:
    Langarek,
    Grosskreutz, Papa Sokratis, Ginter, Durm,
    Sahin, Jojic,
    Mhikitarian, Ji, Aubameyang,
    Ramos

Interesting times for Dortmund

• Advertisement

As a Dortmund fan I'm fairly happy with tonight! Aubameyang starting a potentially prolific run in the Bundesliga and CL. Mhkitarian has to put on his shooting boots though! BVB weren't clinical tonight.

On paper, I think that Arsenal had a better team, but they weren't as cohesive a unit as Dortmund. There is a theory that Klopp gets the best out of his players. Each player that has left hasn't been as good than with the unit.

BVB could field two sufficient teams aswell.

First XI:
    Weidenfeller,
    Pizcek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer,
    Bender, Gundogan
    Kagawa, Reus, Blazyckowski
    Immobile

Second XI:
    Langarek,
    Grosskreutz, Papa Sokratis, Ginter, Durm,
    Sahin, Jojic,
    Mhikitarian, Ji, Aubameyang,
    Ramos

Interesting times for Dortmund

Both look very competitive, especially with Klopp at the helm. Glad to see it, I think it was a worry that the past four or five seasons couldve just been a flash in the pan, especially with losing key players, but they're really pushing on and don't look to be going anywhere fast. Wishing them all the best!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

dorgasm wrote: »
    You can make almost anyone look foolish with hindsight. His reasoning wasn't far off but we were just horrific tonight.

Dortmund aren't a poor or even average team, I don't know where people have got this notion from. They were crippled with injuries last season, and have only really lost Lewandowski and Gotze from the Champions League final team. They've added Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Immobile, Aubemyang, Ramos, Sokratis and Ginter since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Dortmund aren't a poor or even average team, I don't know where people have got this notion from. They were crippled with injuries last season, and have only really lost Lewandowski and Gotze from the Champions League final team. They've added Mkhitaryan, Kagawa, Immobile, Aubemyang, Ramos, Sokratis and Ginter since then.

I agree completely with you. It's just that we stayed pretty much toe to toe with them last year and this year they were missing a couple of starters too. So, I know it's probably overly simple analysis, but people (myself included admittedly) thought Arsenal had a good chance against them this year.

However, none of us expected to see the pathetic display that we saw tonight. What we didn't factor in, and what ended up killing us, was our suicidal high line against one of the quickest teams in Europe, a poor defensive shape in the transition of play and a bunch of players just plain and simply out of form. We weren't good enough tonight by a long way but I'd still argue that the personnel we had out there could have won the game, had they been set up correctly and performed to their ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Delighted with the result Dortmund showing there class has made my Tuesday night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think fans of EPL teams often don't show enough respect to the opposition.

This was always going to be a tough tie, despite Arsenal winning there last time. Dortmund have been one of the best teams around the CL over the last few years.

Advertisement