Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best\Longest Summers in Memory Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

95 for me too. Unfortunately my leaving cert year

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

1976. Nothing since came near.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

No 2006 or 2013? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

MidMan25 wrote: »
    No 2006 or 2013? :/
    2006? Were you in Ireland?

2013 was a slow starter and certainly not as good as 2014. Everyone here is saying best summer in years so have to discount 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

porsche959 wrote: »
    1990 is my choice, surprised by the lack of love for it actually.

Ditto. Not because the weather was great (it was) but for the memories of having great weather and a good bit of independence and a bit of romantic interest which was supported by good weather...

Happy times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2013 has 3 weeks of clear skies and daytime temperatures of high 20's each day, it even hit 30c one day. 2014 is nothing compared to 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I can just about remember the summer of 1976. It was 3 months of hot sunny weather. First summer I can remember and I wish every summer was like that. 83 and 84 were decent summers too. 89 was a great summer, great memories from that year too. 1990 was a dry warm summer too and the world cup that year made it a memorable summer to be in Ireland.

1995 was a classic summer and I would put it up there with 1976. I think the best thing about 1995 was the amount of clear sunny days and low humidity which made it easy to sleep at night. 76 and 95 were both years the grass turned brown by August. 2003 and 2006 were hot summers as well although we had to wait until 2013 to have a good summer to remember after all those wet or average summers of 07-12. 2014 was a good summer overall except for August. Although I fear 2015 by the law of averages in this country will be average or bad summer. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

For those of you too young to remember, trust me when I say it was 1976. I doubt we'll have another like it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I can hardly barely remember 1976 but yes, it does stand out as the best summer in my lifetime of memories.
    It was so hot on some days that I could not handle to walk on the concrete path in front of the house.
    So very hot.
    Short pants was the way to go (though admittedly not as stylish as the bell bottom trousers that were rocking the 70's!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Too young to remember 76 but was 20 in 95 so remember it vividly. For those who remember both would the 76 summer be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm too young to remember the summer of 1976 but I grew up hearing about how awesome it was. The summer of 1989 was pretty good for a while too - it must have been as there was a short lived fashion for bermuda shorts among my friends. But 1995 stands out as a long hot summer when you could reliably plan stuff. 2003 was kinda like that, and 2013. 2014 wasn't bad either, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Here's some info about 1976 "the ladybird summer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_United_Kingdom_heat_wave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What were the summers of 97 & 01 like here in Ireland. Don't remember that they were anything special. Thanks for the link though very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

What were the summers of 97 & 01 like here in Ireland. Don't remember that they were anything special. Thanks for the link though very interesting.

2001 was a great summer, a great year in fact with spells of nice weather all the way from May to a superb September, much like September 2014.
    I graduated from college on September 19th 2001 and it was like a beautiful sunny summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This summer and autumn had the longest periods of dry/warm weather that I can remember even if it wasn't the hottest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

2003 was lovely.
    My vote would go to last year which isn't on the list

ryanf1 wrote: »
    2003 was lovely.
    My vote would go to last year which isn't on the list

Exact same.
    Judging by the response here, 2013 would be at the top of the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This summer and autumn had the longest periods of dry/warm weather that I can remember even if it wasn't the hottest.

Geography made 2014 even better than 2013 for us in Bray IMHO. Day in day out I'd look at the SAT images and marvel at the wafer thin cloud free coastal strip between Sth Dublin/Bray down past Arklow to Wexford and feel pity on the midlands as convection got going in the afternoon and clouded out a large proportion of the country. Twas the Summer of Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

1995 for me - hands down.
    I remember since glorious summers in the 80s but I can't remember which exact years.
    2003 was a fine summer.
    2006 was similar. I remember the first or second week in August and it was the most humid weather I've experienced in this country. Not a breath of wine and your be lathered in sweat doing anything more than a gentle stroll.
    Last year and this year were nice (bar a very disappointing August this year) but they all cine a distant second to '95 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can't remember 1995 but everyone says it was lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Exact same.
    Judging by the response here, 2013 would be at the top of the survey.

I was going to vote 2013 but it wasnt on the survey. So picked 95 instead!

I was going to vote 2013 but it wasnt on the survey. So picked 95 instead!

May we ask to have it added to the survey? Its really a pointless survey IMO if the options are not comprehensive.

Done

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

1995 by some distance, everywhere was brown.
    I remember playing golf in just our socks as the spikes wouldn't go into the ground, you weren't allowed throw your fag butts away in case the whole place went up.
    You could walk across the canal easily in a few stretches, bone dry.
    Bog fires, seemed to go on all summer long.
    3 months of endless sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

1995, endless sunny days. Never to be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

95 for me as well.

Day after day after day of lying out in the sun listening to Atlantic 252.

We used to swim in a river pool that usually held 6ft plus of water, but that summer it was barely up to our knees by June.

The last day of school some of us went for a dip fully clothed and after lying out on the grass our clothes were bone dry in under half an hour.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was only born in 76 so can't comment. 1995 though I was finished my first year of college, doing the 6 week long 'student scheme' to get a bit of money and there was about 6 of us working on cleaning up the local town for the tidy towns competition so we were outdoors all day. It was brilliant, clear and sunny every day. A great summer to be outside.

I was out of the country for most of the hot weather in 2013 but the summer just gone was great as (apart from August largely) it essentially lasted until late October without being over hot any day, but 1995 still gets my vote. If I was 10 years older though I'm sure 76 would get my vote though. I should probably have voted that as the best summer though as it's when I was born!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

1976 - my grandad actually took his cardigan off, it must've been a warm one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭username000

I dont remember 76 and I was in America on a J1 visa for 95 - I remember I used to ring home and hear the tales of the wonderful weather, course I was living in a seaside town with wonderful weather so it didnt have much of an impact on me but by all accounts I missed a great one.

So with that in mind Im going to vote 1989 as I remember that endless summer being a time of me going round on my bike with the other kids, building huts, roaming around the fields and picking blackberries.

2013 was pretty amazing too and I was redundant so I really made the most of it going to the local park most days and spending lots of time out in the fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

1995... Bought first 'nice' car... me and my girlfriend (now wife) drove all over the country every weekend. Cork to Galway just for a Sunday spin.. :)

Used to go to local beach for swim most days after work too!

It seems like the summer would never end. Judging by the voting it looks like it's the same for many people too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

This thread peaked my interest, a bit of brief googling showed that '76 was warmer and sunnier but that '95 was a drier year.

Advertisement