Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best\Longest Summers in Memory Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    In my recollection, us here in West Clare had the best weather and near the highest temperatures of the whole country in 2013.

Did it beat the Dooks, Co. Kerry high of 31c on the 19th July 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Question I meant to ask in this, why isn't 1983 at least one of the choices in the poll?

1983 wouldn't be good as more than 1 of the options :P

I have only seen it mentioned 3 times throughout the thread, personally I wouldn't know what it was like.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    1983 wouldn't be good as more than 1 of the options :P

I have only seen it mentioned 3 times throughout the thread, personally I wouldn't know what it was like.

Why because July was practically the only good month during it?

Don't know, weather station wasn't functional, hence the word near.

Was that officially recorded? I recall the high being 30.7c somewhere inland Northwest, Roscommon maybe.

Why because July was practically the only good month during it?

Because you can't list a year twice in a survey.
    I don't know what the weather was like in 1983.

• Advertisement

1984 is also not in the poll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

1984 is also not in the poll

Nor, good and all as it was, is it in the running! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Take my word for it, 1973 was not a good summer; but 1976 was. Ladybirds in flocks.

katemarch wrote: »
    Take my word for it, 1973 was not a good summer; but 1976 was. Ladybirds in flocks.

Who could possibly compare any summer since 1960 (bar '95) with 1976? :confused:

saltsun wrote: »
    I think 2014 was the year there was quite a geographical divide in the Summer. If I have the correct year I know Summer in the West was a total disaster, while much better weather was enjoyed in the East.

2015 was an even greater divide....an East coast strip v. everywhere else.

• Advertisement

2015 was an even greater divide....an East coast strip v. everywhere else.

Yep big difference between sunshine in particular

Grange: 452 hours (96% of the LTA)
    Knock Airport: 291 hours (73% of the LTA)

Who could possibly compare any summer since 1960 (bar '95) with 1976? :confused:

I can't. I can't even vote for 1976 as I didn't get to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The way this thread is going, I am hearing Maurice Chevalier singing, " ah yes, I remember it well..." I was in Leitrim either 2013 0r 4 and it was hot indeed.. compared notes with friends in the US as I gently melted..over 80 it was they said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always hear 76 was the best summer, then 95. (I didnt experience 76 either) After that its hard to say which is best.
    2013 was surely better that 2014. I wonder could this poll be reset because 2013 wasnt an option when I was voting, im sure many people voted the same way. The lukewarm sea temps around ireland in 2013 wasnt matched at all in 2014 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always hear 76 was the best summer, then 95. (I didnt experience 76 either) After that its hard to say which is best.
    2013 was surely better that 2014. I wonder could this poll be reset because 2013 wasnt an option when I was voting, im sure many people voted the same way. The lukewarm sea temps around ireland in 2013 wasnt matched at all in 2014 anyway.

The only reason I can find that Summer 2013 is better than Summer 2014 is because of August 2014 which was extremely wet in the east and very cold (in fact, I had a frost on the night of the 23rd and it was my lowest August minimum temperature on record). 2013 was very mixed:

June - Very mixed with above average rainfall in parts of the west and south but mainly sunny and relatively cool (near average).
    July - Extremely warm and sunny but relatively wet.
    August - Very mixed with above average rainfall in a few parts and relatively dull and warm.

2016 will surely make this poll at least! ;)

Bit ridiculous that 15% think 2014 was better than 1976 or 1995!

Very young folk I'd guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

What was the Best/Longest Summer in Memory

Senility can also kick in at the other end of the scale.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Coming to think if you're born in 1995 you would be aged 20 or 21. You would think of 2013 to be your best summer of your lifetime.

• Advertisement

2015 would make one of my best Summers if it wasn't for July - the month that everybody expects to be good. So if July isn't good, everybody feels like the Summer is crap.

I'm very young and 2014 came at #4 on my list (down to a terrible August). So I don't see where they're coming from with it. 2013 was better since there was no terrible month during that Summer unlike 2014.

ch750536 wrote: »

Senility can also kick in at the other end of the scale.;)

I wouldn't know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    my best summers for me would be 2013 & 2014 and 2006. I am 25 so I was 16, 23 & 24 so they were my three favourites. I remember 2006 was so warm and sunny and I remember in 2013 it was so hot that even at night it was difficult to sleep. I also went in to Cork a lot that summer and I just remember the sun glaring down and that everywhere I went I kept seeing fellas with no tops on even in the English Market on the 19th July that year there was a guy around 17 with no top on walking through the English Market and also that month I seen endless amount of topless fellas walk through the streets of Cork city including Patrick Street and the majority of them were going into shops. Also in June of that year on a really hot sunny day I was waiting at the bus stop in Patricks Street and right in front of me a fella and his girlfriend stopped and then I heard the guy talking to his girlfriend about how warm it was and then I seen him pull the neck of his tshirt above his mouth and he then took his tshirt off right in front of me and then I seen both himself topless and his girlfriend walk along into the Savoy in Cork. Also the good weather that summer continued well into the autumn and even that November it was so mild and dry that there were spectualar colours on the trees. But then the winter of 2013/14 was extremely wet and stormy and unusually for winter there was a lot more thunder and lightning than usual. 2014 then was hot and sunny and I went to Cobh on the train with my family a lot and I really enjoyed it. I also went to town a lot that summer and while I still saw lots of topless fellas none of them went into shops. Last summer was terrible as it was wet but not washout but a very cool and dull summer. Fingets crossed that summer 2016 will be repeat of 2013 & 2014.Also April 2015 was fantastic weather and we also got a few weeks in September and October of unbroken sunshine and high temperatures. Also in 2006 the warm weather that summer continued well into the autumn which was both the warmest and sunniest on record according to Met Eireann but it was also wetter than normal and on the night of the 26th/27th November at 2am there was thunder and lightning as well as very heavy rain. The reason I remember is because my brother who was 7 at the time had a vicious stomach bug that night and he kept vomiting every 5 mins and he also had bad diarrea and my mother had to keep changing the bed sheets and as I have a fear of thunder she ran into my bedroom as I was already awake with my brothers bug and she told me that there was a bit of thunder and lightning which was out towards the direction of Cork Airport and she gave me headphones to block the sound and I then remember just pulling the duvet over my head for the rest of the night. Also in 2014 the good weather continued into September and I had started doing a course in Cork College of Commerce and I remember every day walking there in blistering heat.

Hi there
    my best summers for me would be 2013 & 2014 and 2006. I am 25 so I was 16, 23 & 24 so they were my three favourites. I remember 2006 was so warm and sunny and I remember in 2013 it was so hot that even at night it was difficult to sleep. I also went in to Cork a lot that summer and I just remember the sun glaring down and that everywhere I went I kept seeing fellas with no tops on even in the English Market on the 19th July that year there was a guy around 17 with no top on walking through the English Market and also that month I seen endless amount of topless fellas walk through the streets of Cork city including Patrick Street and the majority of them were going into shops. Also in June of that year on a really hot sunny day I was waiting at the bus stop in Patricks Street and right in front of me a fella and his girlfriend stopped and then I heard the guy talking to his girlfriend about how warm it was and then I seen him pull the neck of his tshirt above his mouth and he then took his tshirt off right in front of me and then I seen both himself topless and his girlfriend walk along into the Savoy in Cork. Also the good weather that summer continued well into the autumn and even that November it was so mild and dry that there were spectualar colours on the trees. But then the winter of 2013/14 was extremely wet and stormy and unusually for winter there was a lot more thunder and lightning than usual. 2014 then was hot and sunny and I went to Cobh on the train with my family a lot and I really enjoyed it. I also went to town a lot that summer and while I still saw lots of topless fellas none of them went into shops. Last summer was terrible as it was wet but not washout but a very cool and dull summer. Fingets crossed that summer 2016 will be repeat of 2013 & 2014.Also April 2015 was fantastic weather and we also got a few weeks in September and October of unbroken sunshine and high temperatures. Also in 2006 the warm weather that summer continued well into the autumn which was both the warmest and sunniest on record according to Met Eireann but it was also wetter than normal and on the night of the 26th/27th November at 2am there was thunder and lightning as well as very heavy rain. The reason I remember is because my brother who was 7 at the time had a vicious stomach bug that night and he kept vomiting every 5 mins and he also had bad diarrea and my mother had to keep changing the bed sheets and as I have a fear of thunder she ran into my bedroom as I was already awake with my brothers bug and she told me that there was a bit of thunder and lightning which was out towards the direction of Cork Airport and she gave me headphones to block the sound and I then remember just pulling the duvet over my head for the rest of the night. Also in 2014 the good weather continued into September and I had started doing a course in Cork College of Commerce and I remember every day walking there in blistering heat.

Nice memories ;). I don't mean to be a know-it-all jerk or anything but sorry, November 2013 was actually colder than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It would have to be the Summer that the French au pair visited. She brought a heatwave with her that seems to last the whole month of July. I can't remember exactly what year it was, just that it was the early 1990s.

It would have to be the Summer that the French au pair visited. She brought a heatwave with her that seems to last the whole month of July. I can't remember exactly what year it was, just that it was the early 1990s.

1989?

1989?

I thought it was either the summer of 1990-1991, but it could be 1989. I see the Summer of 1990 is mentioned in the poll, so maybe it was that year.

I thought it was either the summer of 1990-1991, but it could be 1989. I see the Summer of 1990 is mentioned in the poll, so maybe it was that year.

Well July 1990 was / had:

- Variable rainfall. It had variable rainfall due to high daily falls at the start of the month with Dublin Airport recording over 30mm on the 4th.
    - Warm but not exceptionally so. July 1990 is not notable for warmth.
    - Very sunny. It was the sunniest July on record in places until 2006 and 2013.

July 1989

- Very dry
    - Exceptionally warm
    - Very sunny

July 1991

- Dry in most places but like 1990, very variable rainfall
    - Rather warm
    - Dull nearly everywhere (very dull in parts of the south in particular)

• Advertisement

Well July 1990 was / had:

- Variable rainfall. It had variable rainfall due to high daily falls at the start of the month with Dublin Airport recording over 30mm on the 4th.
    - Warm but not exceptionally so. July 1990 is not notable for warmth.
    - Very sunny. It was the sunniest July on record in places until 2006 and 2013.

July 1989

- Very dry
    - Exceptionally warm
    - Very sunny

July 1991

- Dry in most places but like 1990, very variable rainfall
    - Rather warm
    - Dull nearly everywhere (very dull in parts of the south in particular)

Well, i recall clear blue skies with very warm temperatures for quite a few days.

So it must have been the Summer of 1989.

Advertisement