Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Bluetooth

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I find using a bluetooth headset with Windows 8 very frustrating. I generally have no problem pairing my headset and initially it connects and performs fine but after the initial session I'm unable to re-pair it to the Windows 8 laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon).

I'm not sure if I'm doing something really dumb (not the first time!) or missing something but when I turn my BT headset on and it doesn't automatically pair with my laptop I then go into settings -> change PC settings -> PC and devices -> Bluetooth -> manage Bluetooth devices and whilst Bluetooth is turned on and my headset is listed it is not connected and the only option I am given when I click on it is to remove the device, there isn't an option to connect the device which surprises me so I end up removing the device and re-pairing it every single time I want to use it which is a major pain.

I should add that in the Bluetooth menu it says "Your PC is searching for and can be discovered by Bluetooth devices" but that seems to be a bit of Microsoft wit as far as I can tell as the same issue exists regardless of what Bluetooth device I connect and I've tried 3 or 4 different BT headsets.

I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone here understands how to get Bluetooth to actually work in a reliable and consistent manner in Windows 8 or point out the mistake I'm making.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^ Wow, 43 views and no replies in the Windows forum!! I was sure someone here could help :confused: I guess managing Bluetooth connections in Windows 8 is a dark art!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

many views are from crawler bots, to be fair.

as it is, I generally do not use Bluetooth with the Windows OS. I didn't spec my desktop with BT and I really don't use my surface tablets for A/V. Heck the only BT things in my life are a BT speaker and my fitness tracker, and the speaker has an aux input which the Desktop is hooked into, the BT is for my phone to overlay into.

If it's anything like wifi connectivity, Windows 8 is kinda finnicky about those devices between power states (S0,S1,S2,S3,etc) for instance my laptop regularly needs to be manually reconnected to wifi after sleep-wake. You could try looking in advanced power settings to see if there is anything to adjust. It might be also worth exploring this problem with other BT devices to rule out device fault. Also check with the device manufacturer's support to see if it's an issue on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Overheal, I appreciate the response.

Advertisement