Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy advice please

• 16-09-2014 9:37am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Okay, loads of questions so sorry in advance:$

What are the guidelines for walking time/distance for pups. Does this depend on breed/size

Play biting / fighting - guessing this normal, but how long such it continue for.

How can I stop the jumping up when she's so giddy / excited to see me.

Also can I assume that I'll never have a nice garden!!

We think Elly is about 5months and is a border collie x. Extremely hyper, bouncy and giddy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bike 5

Hi angeldaisy

98% of dog problems are lack of exercise - the other 1% is health final 1% is owner

Exercise is the key to a happy dog, you can not do a lot about unfortunate health issues and as an owner you need to give a dog only 3 things which fall into 3 sub catogries:
    1. Exercise
    2. Comfortable standard of living
    3. Affection

In my opinion the above is the key to a happy dog and i would challenge anyone who says different. No book or person can tell you exactly how to rear your dog as you as the master need to teach the dog. The dog is only as good as its upbringing.

If its your first dog you will make mistakes as we all have but its also up to you to learn from your mistakes and then guide the dog. The only way you can know what's right for your dog is to take in advice, ask plenty of questions then filter the advice and pass it on to your dog as you see fit.

As a general rule of thumb i found the following i hope it helps:

Play biting / fighting - guessing this normal, but how long such it continue for. - The dog will loose her puppy teeth after after about 32 weeks and should have a full set of adult teeth by then. Some dogs loose them sooner it depends on the individual dog. This can be painful for the dog so when left unattended they will chew stuff so id suggest a kong type toy which is a nice robust flexible toy. If you find the dog chewing something valuable then give her the NO command then give them the kong/toy and they soon figure it out. The fighting you say is more than likely the dog playing and they will growl also again you need to decide on this behaviour but they soon grow out of it, i personally would distract the dog and not allow this then they soon stop.

How can I stop the jumping up when she's so giddy / excited to see me - Most of the time the dog is reacting to an excited owner so learn her to sit first whilst not been giddy then pet/praise her.

Also can I assume that I'll never have a nice garden!! - The dog will cause destruction to the garden if left unattended, look at it like this...would a kid play with toys if left unattended in a toy store?... the dog will respect the garden but not without training, hes at a good age so start now as 5-6 months is a great age for a dog to learn.

We think Elly is about 5 months and is a border collie x. Extremely hyper, bouncy and giddy! - Border collies are generally a country dog and a herding dog at that who need lots of exercise. If the collie is to be brought up in a city then exercise is vital.

Overall you have an active dog in the border collie. Even though she is a cross she is still a border collie so she needs exercise. I would teach her a ball game and let her until her heart is content but be sensible and don't over do it. The dog should come home panting as after-all this is how they perspire.

If you need any more advise just shout but don't be afraid to ask other owners for advise then as i said above, filter it then teach your dog as you see fit. You will make lots of mistakes as you go but keep going as its a very rewarding experience.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

Advertisement