Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Rough Diamond - obstacle course

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Just thinking about entering the Sport version of Connemara Rough Diamond this year.

Looks like great craic but just how tough would the assault course be for moderately fit female vet with a slightly dodgy shoulder? Not out for a podium finish or anything but don't want to be out all day either.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

youtube video, not sure how up to date it is though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-JiIJhw_Y

might give you some idea.. i did it in its first year and that definitely wouldve been fine for you , think its changed a bit since then, the lads were easy going enough, id say if something is gonna hurt your shoulder theyl let you go round..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Thanks, I watched a few clips there and definitely want to do it now! Anyone else here doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I'm signed up for the sport course. Happens to be on my birthday, which happens to end with a zero this year so thought I'd give it a go. It'll be my first adventure race and it looks good craic :)

I have a question regarding footwear. I normally cycle in clipless pedals, but with five transitions, I'm not sure whether I'm bothered changing over and back each time. The pro is obviously that I have the proper footwear for each element. The con that I have to cart my running shoes with me on the bike and I'm not sure I want to lug around a backback.

Time is going to be of fairly minimal importance to me (I'll be happy to finish anywhere other than last) so time spent in transition is pretty insignificant.

What do people normally do?

dakar wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the sport course. Happens to be on my birthday, which happens to end with a zero this year so thought I'd give it a go. It'll be my first adventure race and it looks good craic :)

I have a question regarding footwear. I normally cycle in clipless pedals, but with five transitions, I'm not sure whether I'm bothered changing over and back each time. The pro is obviously that I have the proper footwear for each element. The con that I have to cart my running shoes with me on the bike and I'm not sure I want to lug around a backback.

Time is going to be of fairly minimal importance to me (I'll be happy to finish anywhere other than last) so time spent in transition is pretty insignificant.

What do people normally do?

People differ but personally I wear runners or trail shoes and have toe clips on the bike. I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered changing shoes.

I don't think it's worth changing in and out of cycling shoes twice for a couple of short cycles though.

Great way of celebrating your birthday though - enjoy! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This looks like a bit of fun, il be there myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did the expert last year. Was great craic. Obstacle Course is more fun than strenuous and you can walk around anything you don't want to do. I changed shoes at each transition. Was grand. There was a nice headwind on the cycle so glad for clips.

How rough is the terrain on the run sections? Trail runners needed or would regular running shoes be ok?

How rough is the terrain on the run sections? Trail runners needed or would regular running shoes be ok?

The first run is on a gravel track and boardwalk and gets very steep fast so unless your a mountain goat you'll be stuck behind whoever is infront you. The assault course is on forest floor with loads roots knocking about and a bit of boggy terrain. The third run has changed this year and includes a beach traverse..haven't seen the beach run route but would imagine its fine. I did all of last years one with normal asics so you'll be fine

Thanks for the advice.

I have both (probably comes down to a choice between wearing Brooks pure grit or pure flow) but I find the road shoes more comfortable so I'll probably go with them if the terrain's not too rough.

• Advertisement

All signed up.

I just have normal runners and pedals, be grand <_<

I'm at a wedding in Wicklow the day before so I'm not expecting a quick time. Be happy just to complete it.

All signed up too, and looking forward to it! Hope the weather will stay nice.

I have new trail shoes so looking forward to getting them dirty :-)

Best of luck everyone!

Are we doing the 'boards.ie secret handshake' before the start?

Are we doing the 'boards.ie secret handshake' before the start?

Ehhhh... .!! You'll have to show me! I will have very new looking , completely untested purple Salomons on.

You, presumably will be attired as your name suggests?!

Animella wrote: »
    Ehhhh... .!! You'll have to show me! I will have very new looking , completely untested purple Salomons on.

You, presumably will be attired as your name suggests?!

If you have a cup of tea waiting for me at the end, you have yourself a deal! Il be the one in 6 year old Nike runners and fancy shorts.

New Salomons on race day :eek:.....be grand!

Anyone know if there's shower facilities at the end?

Cant remember.

Looking forward to it now. I'll be in the blue brooks or disgracefully silver cycling shoes falling around at each transition.

Just back in galway and its a bit windy....please please dont be windy Saturday

please please dont be windy Saturday

+1, went for a spin today and remembered how much I hate cycling into headwinds. I really hope it's not blowing us back to Leenane!

I'll be there in a skeleton print cycling jersey. Probably, depends on the weather...

If you have a cup of tea waiting for me at the end, you have yourself a deal! Il be the one in 6 year old Nike runners and fancy shorts.

New Salomons on race day :eek:.....be grand!

You could be waiting a fair while for that cup of tea!

Should we have some cake for the birthday boy?!

Rough Diamond FB page says they have showers.

Can cope with bit of a breeze but please no rain.

+1, went for a spin today and remembered how much I hate cycling into headwinds. I really hope it's not blowing us back to Leenane!

I'll be there in a skeleton print cycling jersey. Probably, depends on the weather...
    You should be easy enough to spot so. But why not wear a nice big birthday badge too so there's no mistake ;-)

You should be easy enough to spot so. But why not wear a nice big birthday badge too so there's no mistake ;-)

I could claim to be keeping a low profile, but I'll be pretty visible...

• Advertisement

I could claim to be keeping a low profile, but I'll be pretty visible...

I'm just going to walk around and say "boards boards boards boards" and whoever looks at me will probably be one of you guys!

You could be waiting a fair while for that cup of tea!

Should we have some cake for the birthday boy?!

Rough Diamond FB page says they have showers.

Can cope with bit of a breeze but please no rain.

Jesus, I'd rather rain than a breeze! Tea and cake sounds deadly...make it happen :)

I did a recce on the sport course today. It's a truly beautiful spin in a gorgeous part of the country. The first two cycle sections are pretty flat, but there a few nasty little drags in the last cycle before a nice downhill bit to finish.

If the weather's anything like today, we're sorted. It was almost perfect except for a headwind on the coastal sections.

Really looking forward to it now :)

I'm on the way :)

Best of luck folks!

So the weather was crap but the skeleton jersey proved visible!

Hello to those of you that said hi on the way round, I'd love to have caught up at the end but a pint and a hot bath back in the hotel were calling me :)

I actually enjoyed it, the weather certainly made it, eh, interesting. But I really felt like I'd done something. Not sure what, but definitely something...

I'll be back.

So the weather was crap but the skeleton jersey proved visible!

Hello to those of you that said hi on the way round, I'd love to have caught up at the end but a pint and a hot bath back in the hotel were calling me :)

I actually enjoyed it, the weather certainly made it, eh, interesting. But I really felt like I'd done something. Not sure what, but definitely something...

I'll be back.
    Yep. Made it interesting to say the least. Missed the start of the expert by 20 mins somehow so we just took off on our own. Caught a few on the way round so did well. Really enjoyed the beach traverse and great banter all the way round. Marshals were full of encouragement. Conditions weren't great but everyone got on with it. Didn't notice any of ye as we were scrambling from the start but well done everyone.

...now wine pints pizza and some relax time. See ye next year.

Lads I'm bolloxed :).

Spotted Dakar as I was on the return route from the beach. I kindly said "fcuking Dakar!". Sorry man, that's all that would come out! :)

I found that tough tbh. No sleep since Wednesday, no food before, no cycling shoes/cleats, no trail runners and was at a wedding yesterday.

Iv learned my lesson! Expert course took me just over 4 hours and I'm just glad I finished it tbh. That last cycle broke me, just hill after hill. Had a bit of a panic when I pulled the brake going down the hill and the bike went sideways. Don't know how I didn't come off it.

Very well run, volunteers were excellent throughout. I might be back next year!

Well done folks!

Well done guys! I loved it all - the obstacle course was the best craic ever :-)

Shattered now though. So much for the weather - I take it all back now about not minding the wind. I was nearly blown in front of a car on a bend shortly before the beach. But once you're wet, you're wet and it kind of added to the whole experience.

Loved the jersey Dakar! Hope you enjoyed your birthday with a difference. Don't know if I met the rest of you. I was bedraggled and haggard looking with a dripping wet purple headband.

Will be back next year for a bit more punishment :-)

I think I passed you by at the beach. Dark hair, purple head band and purple runners. I'd say Dakar would have passed you on the opposite direction at the grassy bit on the beach?

Well, that's if it was you. I had il luminous green socks on, cos I'm fashionable like!

• Advertisement

I think I passed you by at the beach. Dark hair, purple head band and purple runners. I'd say Dakar would have passed you on the opposite direction at the grassy bit on the beach?

Well, that's if it was you. I had il luminous green socks on, cos I'm fashionable like!

Think I passed you on le beach too...black shorts and top?

Advertisement