Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG Student Project 2015 (Torch)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DottiSka

That settles it then I suppose, I'll take all the marks I can get. I will draw it out again. =)
    Apologies, you're correct, I didn't really specify that - wanted to keep my post short, I have a tendency to write too much.
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tessa6

Hey,

You know for the section no. 2 - Design Feature Comparison, it says 'compare and contrast the main design features of both images using suitable freehand sketches and other presentation techniques'?

Do you draw the torch freehand (image 1) and then what does the other image suppose to be exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Tessa6 wrote: »
    Hey,

You know for the section no. 2 - Design Feature Comparison, it says 'compare and contrast the main design features of both images using suitable freehand sketches and other presentation techniques'?

Do you draw the torch freehand (image 1) and then what does the other image suppose to be exactly?

You can initially use photos of each of the 2 torches you are comparing (make sure one of the 2 is the first object you made in SolidWorks).
    Then you can sketch various parts that are different between the 2 torches. For example sketch the 2 different bulbs. The 2 different hand grips. Etc. whatever features there are on your torch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tessa6

seavill wrote: »
    You can initially use photos of each of the 2 torches you are comparing (make sure one of the 2 is the first object you made in SolidWorks).
    Then you can sketch various parts that are different between the 2 torches. For example sketch the 2 different bulbs. The 2 different hand grips. Etc. whatever features there are on your torch

Thanks a mil, Seaville. Ok so far, I've the whole torch drawn by freehand the one from the solid works.

So I'll need to rub this out and redo this again and compare different aspects of the two different torches?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

No, keep the freehand sketch as output 3, but you also need the comparison as output 2

• Advertisement

Yes keep this for output 3 in output 3 you do a full 3d with finer detail around it. In 2 you are only comparing and contrasting specific parts. It's better if the two torches are completely different gives you more to talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

Hi guys ! Was just wondering what do i need to include in output 7 to get maximum marks ? I have most of it done I just need a heads up to see if im missing anything. thanks

The main thing for output 7 is to make sure you get across your theme and target market clearly. That your design actually answers this theme and target market (as simple as that sounds people usually don't link the two) and also that you have gotten across your thought process clearly and the development of your designs.
    Other that that there is nothing to say you must have x y or z. Just plenty sketches and notes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bingbongboom

output 8 is only worth half the amount of marks as output 3, does that mean the sketches dont have to be as good for output 8?

No it does not mean the sketches don't have to be as good, the examiner will expect top quality sketches in every part of your project. All it means is if you have crop sketches you will only lose 5 marks instead of 10. If you take that to mean that you can get away with crap sketches then thats up to you, but it certainly doesn't mean what you are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Slad

hi my teacher was saying that the refrence page is important, is it ? will i lose marks if i dont have it? must i refence to every picture or can i just put the url's on a bank page ? please help if you can not much time left :/

Yes the reference page is important, if your teacher said it is, they said it for a reason, why doubt them?

Yes you will lose marks if it is not done. If there was no marks for it they would not bother telling you that it needed to be done.

As with any project all quotes/text/pics taken from somewhere should be referenced. You might as well get used to it now as you will be doing it for the rest of your academic career.

The back cover of the booklet does not count towards the 14 pages but you can use it to put your links on without it counting towards the 14.

How you do this is completely up to you. Some people just put a list of links on the back page but don't link these to the picture/text. You obviously won't get full marks for doing that. Others will put a small number beside each picture and then on the back page number the links accordingly to match.

Its up to you whether or not you bother to do it at all, but if your teacher suggests its done then just do it and spend your time sorting that rather than looking for ways out of it.
    As I said how you go about doing that page it up to you, I have given two examples above, both easy. There are other ways but that is what i woul suggest.

Sound man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jkelly1892

Our school has been off today and yesterday because of the snow/weather warnings, which is a huge inconvenience. Does anyone think they may extend the deadline because of this?

I would imagine they would make accommodation for that but you would need to talk to the teacher directly

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KevMc00

Hey, were having trouble with decals. After we pack and go with the files and burn them to the CD, they are not showing up on the drawing sheets, assemblies or parts. Is there a way to fix this? We ticked the box which said Include Custom Decals when packing and going but it still doesnt work. Please reply soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Ugh. Lads, I think I'll hang myself if I ever see so much as a light bulb ever again. Glad that's over.

seavill wrote: »
    I would imagine they would make accommodation for that but you would need to talk to the teacher directly

na they didn't

Did ye get the work completed on time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

So happy I do not have to use solidworks again !! Anybody else have the rollback problem where certain features disappear if you press yes ? I hope the examiner presses no for that one ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 anonymous_user

Hey, does anyone know if the envelopes for posting the projects have arrived at your school yet? Mine still hasn't and I'm doing Mocks all next week and so I wont see my teacher, and then I have midterm. When are they usually sent off?

No envelopes yet.
    Usually around the end of February. It's nothing you need to worry about. When the teacher get them they will come find you if they need you or they will just do it themselves if not.
    Its nothing you need to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 10 anonymous_user

OK, that's good. Thank you.

Advertisement