Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private or Public?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Was it a reg or a consultant that did them pwurple?

Consultant I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

pwurple wrote: »
    Not so... I had stitches done by a midwife on my first (which were done badly, and needed to be redone later).

On my second I let them know that if I needed stitches, I wanted a surgeon, not a midwife, and not a junior doctor. This was adherred to, a surgeon was requested and appeared (after a 45 minute wait due to being busy with another patient).

Public both times.

You can get a variety of people doing them, but you need to specify if you have a preference.

But that's because you specified you wanted someone in particular.
    If you don't specify and it's not been an instrumental delivery, 9 times out of 10, the junior doctor on call will be asked to do it rather than the midwife (unless you're on a midwife lead service).

That's what I'm saying I guess. Don't be afraid to ask for someone else. It's ridiculous that someone working for 24 hours without rest, whose been shown how to suture once or twice, is expected to do it on their own.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Drdoc wrote: »
    . It's ridiculous that someone working for 24 hours without rest, whose been shown how to suture once or twice, is expected to do it on their own.

Its bloody terrifying to think that! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

pwurple wrote: »
    Consultant I think.

That's brilliant pwurple! I think this really says it all tbh. Women need to know that they are allowed to request services. And refuse procedures or procedures done by specific designations of people if they so wish and if there is another options available. Too many women just go along with various procedures as they are unaware of their options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's brilliant pwurple! I think this really says it all tbh. Women need to know that they are allowed to request services. And refuse procedures or procedures done by specific designations of people if they so wish and if there is another options available. Too many women just go along with various procedures as they are unaware of their options.

The credit for that has to go to my gp. It was a bit of a saga with the first set of stitches. My gp was very familiar with my history, so I was well coached on what to say if it came up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I got stitches in the rotunda (public).
    I had to go into the operating theatre and get an epidural. It wasn't a junior doctor. Maybe because it was a 3rd degree tear?
    The midwife stayed with me. Anytime I got my stitches checked by consultant, perineal clinic or physio, they all commented on what a fantastic job she did!
    they always do like that would make you feel better :(
    I went with semi-private in Holles st and regreted paying that extra 500yoyos (satellite clinic) for nothing! I ended up in public ward anyway for first 2 nights and then was moved to semi-private for the last night. SPC ward was worse than public - more moms in the ward, more traffic, more noise, gosh it was awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

j@utis wrote: »
    they always do like that would make you feel better :(
    I went with semi-private in Holles st and regreted paying that extra 500yoyos (satellite clinic) for nothing! I ended up in public ward anyway for first 2 nights and then was moved to semi-private for the last night. SPC ward was worse than public - more moms in the ward, more traffic, more noise, gosh it was awful!

No they weren't saying it just to make me feel better. They were checking how I was healing as urinary and faecal incontinence are quite likely after tearing the vagina and anal sphincter muscle. They were correct in saying that the surgeon did a fantastic job as I had full control of both, and regained full strength in my pelvic floor muscles with physio.
    I personally would highly recommend public care in the rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

No they weren't saying it just to make me feel better. They were checking how I was healing as urinary and faecal incontinence are quite likely after tearing the vagina and anal sphincter muscle. They were correct in saying that the surgeon did a fantastic job as I had full control of both, and regained full strength in my pelvic floor muscles with physio.
    I personally would highly recommend public care in the rotunda.

Same happened to me and i ended up getting it repaired in theatre too and they also did a great job and i recovered really well with no problems afterwards. I have to say that if i get a bad tear this time i would definitely like to get it repaired in theatre if possible - despite the fact that i was away from my new baba for a few hrs and was a bit upset by that - it was worth it for the fact that they did such a good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm public in Holles St and am 39 weeks pregnant.

I am torn on how to rate my experience so far. In terms of outpatients appointments I have definitely reached the end of my patience with them. Different doctor each time, I've been told different things by each of them etc it can be very frustrating.
    I have only seen my actual consultant once in the last 39 weeks, although I do have an appointment with him this week as I may possibly be induced in the coming week due to some issues with the baby's growth. But even on this I've been told since 35 weeks that they will, then they won't, then they will and so on. The lack of continuity with which doctor you see can have an effect on how quickly decisions are made.

As far as scanning and monitoring goes I can only rate them 110% as a hospital. I don't even know how many scans I've had at this stage. I am scanned every two weeks and have placenta checks every week. They are excellent in this regard, if I need a scan there are no issues and very little waiting time! The Fetal Assessment Department are amazing.
    The real issue is what the doctor's downstairs actually do with the info from the scans. They are pretty slow to put any plan in place. But hopefully this coming week with my consultant will be satisfactory.
    I can't speak for what it's like to be admitted as a public patient there yet but I don't have any real concerns about that based on my experience so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Same happened to me and i ended up getting it repaired in theatre too and they also did a great job and i recovered really well with no problems afterwards. I have to say that if i get a bad tear this time i would definitely like to get it repaired in theatre if possible - despite the fact that i was away from my new baba for a few hrs and was a bit upset by that - it was worth it for the fact that they did such a good job!

I was the exact sane, I cried when they told me I had to go to theatre and get an epidural after getting through the birth without one, but now I am very glad.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Drdoc wrote: »
    If you are public and you need stitches, the junior doctor will be called to do it and they may or may not know what they're doing.....No joke

Well, the junior doc who stitched me up after my public patient c-section must have been gifted so! From early on it was the smallest, neatest repair,and two years on, is almost invisible.

I also had a perfect epidural and absolutely could not fault the whole event for me. At every stage the midwives and doctors were careful to explain any process they wanted to do, and why, clearly outlining the risks if any, the surgeons came around the following day to ask if I had any questions about the EMCS, and I got plenty of feedback on anything I had questions about.

The only thing I would fault is that they were stingy on pain meds, but I'd suspect that would apply to all patients public or private.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

If you can afford it, go private.
    The continuity of care is, for me, the most important thing. Seeing the same doctor every time is the best thing. I see the same GP so why wouldn't I see the same OB/GYN? Yes it is a huge expense and I don't really have that kind of cash but it was a priority for me. I had a difficult labour last time and if wasn't for my consultant being totally on the ball and not having to wait for a dr to check on me, I dread to think what would have happened. Plus I am not leaving it to chance to see if I get someone "good" to stitch me!

Advertisement