Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know where to start

Options
  • 16-09-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm sure these type of threads crop up all the time but I need some advice.

I left school at 15 just after my junior cert, I'm 24 now and really want to go to college. I work full time in a factory at the moment in a job that I don't mind but it is dead end and I'm not going anywhere.

The course I'm considering is Higher certificate in computing at Carlow ITs Wexford campus. This is 5 minutes walk from my house and it's what I want to do so it's perfect for me but I dont know how to go about this at all. Will I have to give up my job? How much is it going to cost me?

I live with my Fiancee and my 4 year old son so I dont know if it's even possible for me to go to college with all my responsibilities.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Java Waterford

Hey, is the course full or part time? If you feel like you don't have the time to persue college straight away, there are still plenty of alternative avenues to take to get into IT. You can do a lot of free online courses, and if you find an area that you're interested in you can do some indepenant learning and start working towards recognised certifications. Is there a particular area in IT you're interested in? Software development, web design, working with hardware and system administration type work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

The course I'm considering is Higher certificate in computing at Carlow ITs Wexford campus. This is 5 minutes walk from my house and it's what I want to do so it's perfect for me but I dont know how to go about this at all. Will I have to give up my job? How much is it going to cost me?

You can apply to SUSI for a grant for the course fees, but I would be unsure of what you entitlement to any social welfare would be, so you might get the maintenance part of the grant as well.
    I live with my Fiancee and my 4 year old son so I dont know if it's even possible for me to go to college with all my responsibilities.

Any help appreciated.

To apply as an independent resident for the grant, you must be 23 or over on the 1st of January of the year of entry to college and be able to provide evidence of independent residence from the 1st of October the previous year to the year of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hey, is the course full or part time? If you feel like you don't have the time to persue college straight away, there are still plenty of alternative avenues to take to get into IT. You can do a lot of free online courses, and if you find an area that you're interested in you can do some indepenant learning and start working towards recognised certifications. Is there a particular area in IT you're interested in? Software development, web design, working with hardware and system administration type work etc

Looking to get into networking, Had looked at other options but just feel ill be better off with a degree behind me in the long run. Plus I went off the rails when I left school and I kind of see going to college as the final step in getting my life back on track..

So I'll be eligible for a grant if I'm still working? When do I apply for the grant and for the course? Is it to early for next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

If you mean too early for 15/16 academic year, yes.
    They don't take application until around may next year.

But if you are doing a course that's starts now or a course like the accelerated technicians that starts in January, then you need to apply now.

Advertisement