Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help and advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

1st bit of advice...tie it down/secure it well!!

Getting late to be growing stuff outdoors now, so you could be better to start planning/wait to buy until next year...chives and similar will grow now, but might not even need a cover..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If your are facing W/SW you may not need a lot of extra heat for ordinary plants like mint, thyme, parsley, lettuce etc. You will need shelter from the wind and balcony plants can dry out very quickly so water them carefully. Something like the mini-tunnel you have in mind would be ideal for basil etc but you will want to make certain its secure. It's not the best time of the year for starting but basic herbs will grow for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Echo previous comments - tie it firmly to the frame and have a tie over the top attached to a couple of concrete blocks or the fencing, don't underestimate how quicky it will take off!

I prefer to lift them off the ground a bit (stand on the blocks) and leave the top of the door open a bit, as they can be overwarm and humid. In fact you don't actually need to close the door a lot of the time.

Finally, they don't last much more than a season, maybe two, as the plastic perishes and comes away from the stitching. They are in many ways a good idea, but not really all that practical. I have had two, and while they have been useful, I don't think I would buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'm going to be the wet blanket and advise you against buying it. I have (the remains of) one of those and even against a wall and very-well secured, it went flying a few times this year alone...each time taking between 40 and 60 euro worth of plants with it. Mine was on ground-level but yours will be a lot higher and will be subject to stronger winds. If that, or any pots/plants inside, goes flying you could have a very serious liability on your hands. There are smaller, solid plastic cold-frames that will do pretty much the same job and will be more suitable for kitchen herbs. Aldi/Lidl will sell these next Spring, if not before, and I think this could be better suited to your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

• Advertisement
Advertisement