Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phones- Reliability Issues

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I've a windows phone and if I won the lotto I'd make a youtube video of me burning it slowly....I would by a bucket of them also and then put them all into lava flow and watch with great satisfaction!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I've a windows phone and if I won the lotto I'd make a youtube video of me burning it slowly....I would by a bucket of them also and then put them all into lava flow and watch with great satisfaction!!!!

Why do you have it still, if you hate it so much? Doesn't make sense.

MONEY, and I'm unemployed at the minute so I've to put up with it unfortunately....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

MONEY, and I'm unemployed at the minute so I've to put up with it unfortunately....
    Ara, throw it up on adverts or donedeal and make a few bob and swap to another system. I did that with an L520 after the ebay app locked me into buying 3 items I had browsed when I wanted only one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What model is it?
    What exactly don't you like about it?

If you had the money what would you go for instead?

theothernt wrote: »
    I don't see an option for it at all on the latest OS update :(

The option was removed since the last update. Now I can't watch Netflix or anything on the phone at night as the bright home buttons (even with the display brightness turned down) distract too much.

Starting to think that the only good thing about the 8.1 update is the notification centre. The battery has gotten worse, there are problems with app updates not showing, can't turn off lights on home buttons and I never use the show more tiles on home screen option.

I really don't want to go to Android, my last three phones were Windows phones, but it is getting more and more likely.

Davy wrote: »
    What model is it?
    What exactly don't you like about it?

If you had the money what would you go for instead?

Its an idea ok. Its a Nokia Lumia 520 with 8.1 s/w at this stage. I don't like the way its organised and the way they show the information on screen. Also, I have problems texting certain letters on the screen keypad , they dont work , unless i hold the phone on the horizontal!!! Some of the touch screen is dead I recon...I hate the way these phones then bring in all the contacts from my mail accounts which I NEVER wanted to do. I also lost a lot of contacts when changing over from a samsung ( I hate too ) to this one. Though it may not necessarily have been the fault of the lumia? Who knows. I have NEVER know a contact change over from phone to phone to go smoothly in my experience...This is starting to get me going now....They should consentrate on the small important things rather than trying to be able to fly the space shuttle from one!!! If you get my drift!!

Its an idea ok. Its a Nokia Lumia 520 with 8.1 s/w at this stage. I don't like the way its organised and the way they show the information on screen. Also, I have problems texting certain letters on the screen keypad , they dont work , unless i hold the phone on the horizontal!!! Some of the touch screen is dead I recon...I hate the way these phones then bring in all the contacts from my mail accounts which I NEVER wanted to do. I also lost a lot of contacts when changing over from a samsung ( I hate too ) to this one. Though it may not necessarily have been the fault of the lumia? Who knows. I have NEVER know a contact change over from phone to phone to go smoothly in my experience...This is starting to get me going now....They should consentrate on the small important things rather than trying to be able to fly the space shuttle from one!!! If you get my drift!!

You can move the tiles around or resize them to show information as to how you would want it to show. Sounds like the touch is not functioning correctly - my sister has the 520 and she has no issues (my other sister has the 620 and she has a few issues) but this is the most basic model of the Windows Phone so it's not perfect.

If you have Contacts checked under the sync settings for your mail accounts then it will bring these across. Check to see if this is the case - you can open Gmail for example go to Settings/Sync Settings and scroll down to see what to sync. Also, in the People hub you can filter what contacts to show. I find the People part of the Outlook.com site useful for managing contacts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The 620 isn't the most basic phone. It's got quite a decent spec and all the software that high end phones did at that time.

Dead spots on screen is simply a broken phone. I've had that on some my old Samsung phones. It's got nothing to do with the OS.

Contracts issues are not OS related. I set up an email account just for phone contacts. I add my main email separately. Keeps then separate. I'm using outlook for my contacts as I hate the way google are trying to merge all my online accounts for different devices. It's just data mining personal data. On WP I can keep my contacts, email, you tube all separate.

That stuff at least works ok. Google merging contacts is partially how you set up the phone your gmail and whatever google latest own the worlds data strategy is.

• Advertisement

Turning off the lights off the hardware buttons is an interesting one. Some if not all the new WP phones have the buttons not as physical buttons but in software on screen. So they hide when playing media.

The lower end older phones buttons don't light up. So it will be interesting to see if MS fix this. As it only effects some phones.

beauf wrote: »
    Turning off the lights off the hardware buttons is an interesting one. Some if not all the new WP phones have the buttons not as physical buttons but in software on screen. So they hide when playing media.

The lower end older phones buttons don't light up. So it will be interesting to see if MS fix this. As it only effects some phones.

Ye and interesting as to why they removed the option - I haven't watched anything on the phone since the 8.1 update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Ye and interesting as to why they removed the option - I haven't watched anything on the phone since the 8.1 update.

Which Lumias have this issue?

theothernt wrote: »
    Which Lumias have this issue?

Well I have the 920, not sure what other one's beauf was referring to.

Another thing I HATE about the Lumia 520 is the time it takes me to actually add a contact. Its NOT intuitive. I cant believe how there isn't just
    a separate icon for this. I think you've got to go into the dialer or keypad and start typing in the number which is a pain in the A**.!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Another thing I HATE about the Lumia 520 is the time it takes me to actually add a contact. Its NOT intuitive. I cant believe how there isn't just
    a separate icon for this. I think you've got to go into the dialer or keypad and start typing in the number which is a pain in the A**.!

That's simple. Go to People app and click plus sign at bottom??

• Advertisement

You can put a tile on-screen for it or get to it via the phone screen. You must have missed it some how. I think its very easy.

Download the Lumia help app. Very useful as a how-to guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have a new lumia 925, updated to 8.1 and no updates pending.
    Anyone else having issues with the time settings? Correct timezone but its giving me a time eight hours wrong. Also my text messages arent showing up in the text messaging app. And I cant upload photos to facebook at the moment either. I deleted the facebook messenger app. and might take a few more off.

Its a lovely phone but not 100% happy with performance so far.

Text message error I've heard of. It's your time being wrong causing that. Might be the same with face ache.

Dunno why your time it's wrong. Is your region correct?

date and time: dublin
    region:ireland

Anything else I should look at?

• Advertisement

Is your time and date. And time zone in settings set to auto?

It was, just changed to manual and reset the time. Do I have to leave it at that now?

Will it fix my photo upload issue?

Is it correct now?

Try the apps and let us know.

Dunno I read on another forum and youtube people having problem with time settings on WP but it was during setup usually.

Once its correct I'd set it back to auto.

Gipo3 wrote: »
    That's simple. Go to People app and click plus sign at bottom??
    Wheres the app located? I shouldn't have to look for it in the first place...anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Wheres the app located? I shouldn't have to look for it in the first place...anyway

Pretty sure it appeared on the start screen by default on my family members' 520s. If it's not there, swipe to the right and it will be in the list of apps. You can then pin it to the start screen.

delos wrote: »
    Pretty sure it appeared on the start screen by default on my family members' 520s. If it's not there, swipe to the right and it will be in the list of apps. You can then pin it to the start screen.
    Thanks I got it.

Still wouldn't recommend a windows phone to anyone..!!!

Thanks I got it.

Still wouldn't recommend a windows phone to anyone..!!!

The process of adding a contact is pretty much the same on all smart phones. Also, storing contacts is the same too. Was your last phone a feature phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Maybe this would be more suitable?
    il_340x270.615715825_39fl.jpg

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Maybe this would be more suitable?
    il_340x270.615715825_39fl.jpg

Looks good, what do you call it....LOL

Advertisement