Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline thread 16/09/2014 to 26/11/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Most people have just had enough. When the country was awash with money, successive governments did nothing to try to improve the water supply and fix the pipes. Now the country is broke, it's suddenly become a burning issue for the government to "fix the pipes and improve the supply". Most people can see through such bolloxology.

It hasn't suddenly become a burning issue, it was mentioned in pre election and the previous government signed the state up to its implementation.

It appeared as an issue as early as the 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

collecting money can be expensive, I know just ask marion from canada

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ma gee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Eh up love!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ppl not paying the vet in Kilkenny. ....We I never..!:mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah we've only 3 minutes to see if we find Liam, I hope someone rings in and rats him out lol

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ma gee

In Tullamore?????

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What???? I cannot make out this guy at all, what accent is that?

pc7 wrote: »
    Ah we've only 3 minutes to see if we find Liam, I hope someone rings in and rats him out lol

Well Joe should carry out some investigation, if he could get that poor fecker over from England and give him a burial, he should be able to track down good old Liam.................come to think of it maybe Liam would opt for a decent burial right now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It hasn't suddenly become a burning issue, it was mentioned in pre election and the previous government signed the state up to its implementation.

It was dictated to us by the Troika to introduce it was a tax raising exercise, and our politicians agreed to it like the compliant lapdogs that they are.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    and the poor telephone operator

Ah comon now. That's streeetching it..

It was dictated to us by the Troika to introduce it was a tax raising exercise, and our politicians agreed to it like the compliant lapdogs that they are.

So you'd be happier with no bail out, tax increases across the board and an even worse public service than we already have, all better than a user pays system to maintain the water system?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

So you'd be happier with no bail out, tax increases across the board and an even worse public service than we already have, all better than a user pays system to maintain the water system?
    We could have agreed to it as part of the bailout. Then when we had the funds we could have said that there was going to be no water tax - simples.

And we could then have wheeled out Pat Rabbitte to say " Well these are the type of things you say when you are applying for a bailout"

So where were we going to get the money to make up for no water charges, increase personal taxes?

It's not like you're given a big bag of money on the basis of a promise which you can then run away with laughing on the basis your fingers were crossed.

Was Free Willie found? Did he want to be found? Can he remember all his one night stands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

So where were we going to get the money to make up for no water charges, increase personal taxes?

I must admit I have an interest in seeing water charges implemented as we like many others, already pay for our own water supply.

I kinda object to the idea that I'm already funding other people's water in my taxes, particularly those who can well afford to pay for their own.

That's bad enough but I particularly object to the idea that I might have to pay additional income tax, USC, VAT whatever in order to further upgrade other people's supplies.

Just because the wider public wants to throw a hissy fit and refuses to pay for upgrading their own services.

You use water, you pay for your own water. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It's not like you're given a big bag of money on the basis of a promise which you can then run away with laughing on the basis your fingers were crossed.

That's exactly what political creatures do, up to and after elections.
    They don't like it when the Joe Soaps stand up for themselves and shout enough is enough.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    That's exactly what political creatures do, up to and after elections.
    They don't like it when the Joe Soaps stand up for themselves and shout enough is enough.

So you'd go to a bank, in dire straits, ask for a loan. You get it and then you tell them don't mind that contract, you're never going to pay it back. Even though you'll have to go back to them on a regular basis for more money.

Joe Soaps are who put these people in charge in the first place.

So you'd go to a bank, in dire straits, ask for a loan. You get it and then you tell them don't mind that contract, you're never going to pay it back. Even though you'll have to go back to them on a regular basis for more money.

Joe Soaps are who put these people in charge in the first place.

It is possible to stretch an analogy too far, you know.

• Advertisement

It is, but I haven't done it in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

can Liam sue Joe for outing him on National Radio? :pac:

why tf would the clown Duffy even air that story anyway? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hitchens wrote: »
    can Liam sue Joe for outing him on National Radio? :pac:

why tf would the clown Duffy even air that story anyway? :rolleyes:

the answer is in your question

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Why not? A higher rate on salaries over €100,000 would have been justified in the circumstances on the basis that those who had more should have contributed more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I was listening to Joe the other day, and I think he's rudeness has gotten out of control at this stage.. It seems that everybody else's view is peripheral and Joe usually trumps everyone with his opinion, which he talks over them with if he doesnt like what they are saying...

As an example, take that woman the other day. After initially saying "Mary, you're point.. quickly"....the woman started speaking about how she didnt want the water board privatised and how she thought that it would be there just to pay money to shareholders if it was... Joe then completely talked her down and started on this rant about how "None of the public bodies will come on Liveline and ask questions... the HSE, Bord Uisce"... Can nobody in RTE have a word with him or are they all afraid of him?

I was listening to Joe the other day, and I think he's rudeness has gotten out of control at this stage.. It seems that everybody else's view is peripheral and Joe usually trumps everyone with his opinion, which he talks over them with if he doesnt like what they are saying...

As an example, take that woman the other day. After initially saying "Mary, you're point.. quickly"....the woman started speaking about how she didnt want the water board privatised and how she thought that it would be there just to pay money to shareholders if it was... Joe then completely talked her down and started on this rant about how "None of the public bodies will come on Liveline and ask questions... the HSE, Bord Uisce"... Can nobody in RTE have a word with him or are they all afraid of him?

Much of the time he's on autopilot - an idea pops into his head and he goes through the motions of listening to a caller, but THAT IDEA is overwhelming and he has to address it - spout it to the Nation - before it slips away.
    The man has the steely determination and mental toughness of a butterfly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

can Liam sue Joe for outing him on National Radio?

I was thinking about this after I left on Friday and my non-expert legal opinion would be "yes" - there was more than enough information there to identify the individual involved, particularly if you were of a similar age to him and lived in and around the Tullamore area in 1980. This one may have legs yet…so to speak.

So I went to my Dubalin City Centur appointment yesterday morning at 11:30am. I had a quick peek looking for The Great One as i nipped into Easons On O'Connell Street but was more concerned with getting home quickly than seeing Joe sand asking how his leg was. ;) It was still relatively quiet at this stage (just before noon), but as I exited the car park to drive home I was passed by 6 Garda Riot Vans en route to (I assume) the O'Connell Street Area.Still took forever to get home though as there were a lot of traffic restrictions and completely unnecessary road closures along the way.I didn't see the news yesterday but I'm, sure Joe update me tomorrow in a completely objective way of course……….so to speak.

New book out called 'D'You Remember Yer Man' about grand oul salt of de earth Dubbalin characters, Bang Bang, Forty Coats etc

Wonder will Joe give it a mention on De Lahvline?

New book out called 'D'You Remember Yer Man' about grand oul salt of de earth Dubbalin characters, Bang Bang, Forty Coats etc

Wonder will Joe give it a mention month on De Lahvline?

FYP.

FYP.
    He'll make it de buke of de year, no doubt

:-0

• Advertisement

Well, what do ya reckon Joe will be talking about today so :)

Let me guess.

BarryD wrote: »
    Well, what do ya reckon Joe will be talking about today so :)

Let me guess........

A follow up to long lost Liam in Tullamore, i hope........:P

I reckon Liam aka Willie may have packed his bags and gone on holliers for a while. You never know, maybe he's even jetted off to Canada - wouldn't that be a perfect ending :)

Ah jaysus, I've been called into a meeting in the afternoon so I'll be as láthair arís inniu. I'll be thinking of ye in spirit though! Hope it's a good one folks!

"buoyed up"
    oh joe

Oh, good heavens, water. Water surprise.

Who has a €1000 or more on a Monday morning?
    *silence*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I have just figured out why Joe is so much against water charges.

It'll cost him a fortune to fill all those fountains.

Stella, are you citing Joe's household composition?

We want a text poll Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Would Irish people lie to gain a financial advantage??

Of course they would!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Irish people are a paragon of virtue. We would never try to bypass or ignore regulations. Possibly the most honest nation on the planet

"cribbin an moanin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BPKS wrote: »
    I have just figured out why Joe is so much against water charges.

It'll cost him a fortune to fill all those fountains.

Don't forget the moat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"....the people have had enough....."

That would be mostly people who pay for nothing anyway!

Eh, TDs were not elected to uphold the law.
    They were elected to represent the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This guy is gonna be good.

Can someone translate for this fella please???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

bad law bad law

• Advertisement

Is he drunk?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement