Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline thread 16/09/2014 to 26/11/2014

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

de wahther

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe spent his weekend counting people in photos of the protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"A fella on a hundred thousand a year."
    Joe tries to envisage that...
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

well said! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, TDs were not elected to uphold the law.
    They were elected to represent the people.

TDs are elected to be the legislators. If the legislators decide they are not going to obey the law, that's the end of democracy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This fella won't last long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If TDs want respect for the laws they pass, well they've got to adhere to them themselves. Picking and choosing which laws to obey and telling the public to disobey some isn't a great idea - sounds like anarchy in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

omg! this guy is some idiot!

Your water IS already paid for in general taxation!

Were these born this morning?!

flynnlives wrote: »

His point is it shouldn't be. Are you listening to him at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Its called "The Poll tax" in England, you numpty!!!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    His point is it shouldn't be. Are you listening to him at all :confused:

no, he is saying that the proposal to pay for it from general taxation is not the way forward.
    But this is what is currently happening

no, he is saying that the proposal to pay for it from general taxation is not the way forward.
    But this is what is currently happening

You must be listening to a different liveline than me then.

Joe getting increasingly ratty, someone's going to get an earbashing soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

For those people born this morning, the state is taking in considerably less than it is paying out. There is a deficit.

So its simple.

Scrap water charges and reduce social welfare rates, pension and increase taxation to make up for the shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not. We can't afford to run the country out of general taxation alone, hence our vast borrowings.

This claim about paying on the double is nonsense. If Irish Water get NO payment from the general tax fund and raise ALL their revenue from water charges, then the only payment anyone makes is the one to Irish Water. Where is the double payment in that?

This fella won't last long

he is dead right.I have my own private well, paid 700 euro to get a deep submersible pump replaced last year and also 180 ft of cable.. no relief, tax credits for me also paid VAT on it.
    I also paid into the coffers which went to pay for public water..

We don't want a referendum, we want a friggin text poll

Roger_007 wrote: »
    This claim about paying on the double is nonsense. If Irish Water get NO payment from the general tax fund and raise ALL their revenue from water charges, then the only payment anyone makes is the one to Irish Water. Where is the double payment in that?

You honestly believe the current 1.2 billion spent on water via general taxation will be given back?!
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

lucylu wrote: »
    he is dead right.I have my own private well, paid 700 euro to get a deep submersible pump replaced last year and also 180 ft of cable.. no relief, tax credits for me also paid VAT on it.

but you chose to live in that location where there is no water services...and perhaps it a beautiful location which makes up for having to install well etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Roger_007 wrote: »

The government has made no mention of dropping car tax or VAT to compensate for the water charges being seperated out. Funny, that.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

signostic wrote: »
    but you chose to live in that location where there is no water services...and perhaps it a beautiful location which makes up for having to install well etc..

His choice of location is irrelevant. The point is that general taxation is paid by all taxpayers. Not all taxpayers get the (supposed) benefit of the water services being funded out of general taxation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The government has made no mention of dropping car tax or VAT to compensate for the water charges being seperated out. Funny, that.

noonan admitted aswell they werent going to drop the cash cow of USC and he basically sniggred as he said it

You honestly believe the current 1.2 billion spent on water via general taxation will be given back?!
    lol
    Dan Jaman wrote: »

It has nothing to do with giving money back, more so about paying for an essential service to there's more money in the general taxation fund, thus meaning we have to borrow less.

We're borrowing a **** load, why they hell would any state reduce taxes or VAT in this situation (although take home pay was increased in the last budget)

lesson here - dont buy petrol in the boarder counties

His choice of location is irrelevant. The point is that general taxation is paid by all taxpayers. Not all taxpayers get the (supposed) benefit of the water services being funded out of general taxation.
    I pay though my tax for the health service and a plethora of other services many of which I will never use...but that does not mean a get an exception in my taxes

neris wrote: »
    lesson here - dont buy petrol in the boarder counties

Bit hard on those who live in the border end of border counties!

I strongly suspect one of my local garages (near Dublin city centre) was/is using ropey petrol, so it's not confined to border counties.

lol

Either the government pay the money to Irish Water or they don't. If they don't then it will be spent on other things, like health or education. If they do keep paying it to Irish Water, it will be obvious.
    It's not a question of giving it back. It's a question of having money to spend on other essential services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,643 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yet another clown comparing us to other countruies.

Do other countries have the same levels of Income Tax, VAT, USC, PRSI etc etc as we do? No way do they. Do they pay for their bins separately like us? No they don't in many countries.

Even here to buy a car to get to work you are crucified with VRT which other countries have but only at a much smaller rate than ours.

same applies to you, you chose to live in an area that uses public water.. if you don't like it get a well drilled.

• Advertisement

lucylu wrote: »

Likewise, we need our water filters overhauled. Cost €1000+ to install. We'd happily pay Irish Water or anyone else a reasonable fee if they ever come this way, which is unlikely :(

I pay though my tax for the health service and a plethora of other services many of which I will never use...but that does not mean a get an exception in my taxes

But those who pay for their own water/well/pump/maintenance etc are (under the current system / assumption that general taxes pay for water) paying on the double. They can't just "not use the service".

What, this wouldn't be covered under insur-dence ?

"really snotty like"

And this referendum talk is a nonsense.
    IW may as well be a private company, private Denis o bRIEN siteserv installing the meters, customer service/call centres are private companies
    and you can be sure the whole IT infastructure is a private venture too.

The ship has sailed with protests imo. The irish people are idiots. This whole gravy train was put in place with the troika agreement. Freinds of the blueshirts have been salivating at the mouth with anticipation of this cash cow.

And this referendum talk is a nonsense.
    IW may as well be a private company, private Denis o bRIEN siteserv installing the meters, customer service/call centres are private companies
    and you can be sure the whole IT infastructure is a private venture too.

Makes logical sense, that's where the expertise is. You can be pretty sure that most IT systems used by the state, are ran and maintained, if not in full, in part, by private companies, such as revenue and health.

That's how the world works.

• Advertisement

ah good aul data protection

Bit hard on those who live in the border end of border counties!

I strongly suspect one of my local garages (near Dublin city centre) was/is using ropey petrol, so it's not confined to border counties.

Your right there, i think there was a thread on boards probably bout 2-3 years back mentioning a petrol station located "ideally" near a major shopping complex in Dublin where there was a similar shout a such fuel been distributed too, dont know how that worked out, but customs were involved........

"she was just so rude it was ridiculous"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

You'd be hoping someone would burn your car out for you.

You have insurance for when you have an accident missus, not for dodgy petrol. I'd be surprised if she gets anything from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It's probably buried deep in the small print that it's not coverable.

Are we going to have a referendum to ensure the the air remains in public ownership as well as the water. It would be terrible if our air was was owned by a forden company.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

I got petrol in Roscommon yesterday fairly cheap and I'm getting worried now!

baldbear wrote: »

Mayo as well...
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20700:mayo-motorists-cars-damaged-by-diluted-petrol-&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

2011 car reg is not newish enough in Joes eyes

Roscommon petrol and Roscommon water - just steer clear of that fair county!

"Was there a bang?" .... Joe, always looking for the drama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Sue the garage

If you reported the petrol station to the Gardaí would they do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You'd be hoping someone would burn your car out for you.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement