Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline thread 16/09/2014 to 26/11/2014

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Well the way our judicial system works, they'd be back on the street to inject another 1000 people

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hamilcar wrote: »
    You're not paying for it already. The point is we have deficit of 7 billion a year. Water needs at least 600 million a year investment

So our current taxes don't even cover the day to day running of the country, never mind investing in the water infrastructure

Nice to hear that at least someone "gets" it. Sick of seeing videos of "won't pay this, won't pay that" protestors.

Although I do have issues with IW as a company. Even though I am for the idea of metered water, I would prefer the local councils to have continued to deal with water, and have only a very minimal central body looking after overall planning of national infrastructure. I don't like having a new, big, expensive body taking over the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Yeah you are right. All those years the water system was ran and paid for by fresh air not our taxes.

It's just more smoke and mirrors and the govt is hoping that when the seperate charges come in, they'll still be collecting the VAT and motor tax increases that SHOULD have been ring-fenced for water. However, once tax is collected and goes into the general pool, there's almost literally no accounting for it and it gets spent or mis-spent the same as every other Euro.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe continues with his anti-dog agenda again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

snubbleste wrote: »
    Commercial break: LoveIrishFood, Nissan, Private Security Authority

One of Joe's bugbears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

You know yourself Joe...................... I know I know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

30 miles outside Dublin is the back of beyond apparently

30 miles outside Dublin is the back of beyond apparently

It is to a lot of salt-a-dee-irth Dubaliners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I know that I know that I know that...

I find it hilarious that the mantra on Saturday was "keep water in public hands, dont privatise it".... And yet day after day on Liveline we have demonstrations of i) how expensive the public service is and ii) how little value for money we get and iii) how they circle the wagons and eventually have to pay out millions when something goes wrong...

What would be wrong with privatizing it... it might actually be run properly...

Commercial break: Private Security Authority
    Ah good; yet another quango I can throw two fingers up to, having installed my own CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

next caller please

I know that I know that I know that...

I find it hilarious that the mantra on Saturday was "keep water in public hands, dont privatise it".... And yet day after day on Liveline we have demonstrations of i) how expensive the public service is and ii) how little value for money we get and iii) how they circle the wagons and eventually have to pay out millions when something goes wrong...

RyanWater anyone with Michael O'Leary as CEO? Joe's biggest ever wet dream I'd imagine………...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RyanWater anyone with Michael O'Leary as CEO? Joe's biggest ever wet dream I'd imagine………...

Ah here. You're gone as bad as Joe.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ah here. You're gone as bad as Joe.

I did mean to highlight that….so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Roger_007 wrote: »
    These figures for consumption are just mad. They must be leaving taps running day and night!

Think they worked out at about 150 litres or 31 gallons per person per day, 365 days a year.

I find that hard to believe, that's 15 x 2 gal buckets each day for each person and remember that people are often elsewhere at work, school, college during the day and using water elsewhere. They might only be in the house for an hour or so of the morning and the same in the evening apart from sleeping.

If you had to carry 15 buckets of water into the house, you'd know all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Would it work out like his destinations??? Not quite Rome, but close enough.... Water not quite water but close enough :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

"Hot stone therapy", could you throw an ould steak on that??, yum yum!!!

This is awfully sad for those involved, but once again I don't think Da Lahv Lahn is the place to discuss it. And the host's fake sympathy is not helping anyone I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lobster dinners, couriering clothes to the dry cleaners and meat bought as part of a supermarket bill which was supposed to be only used for tea/coffee/biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This caller isn't doing any favours to Catherine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Joe sounds as bored as me, YAaawwwnwnnnnnnn

Meathlass wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for someone to explain the lobster dinners, couriering clothes to the dry cleaners and meat bought as part of a supermarket bill which was supposed to be only used for tea/coffee/biscuits.

"Sure, it was relaxing..."

Meathlass wrote: »

They were expecting a visit from Joe.

what was the 33 grand for?

Why did yer wan come on a talk show if she can't comment on anything.:confused:

BarryD wrote: »
    Think they worked out at about 150 litres or 31 gallons per person per day, 365 days a year.

I find that hard to believe, that's 15 x 2 gal buckets each day for each person and remember that people are often elsewhere at work, school, college during the day and using water elsewhere. They might only be in the house for an hour or so of the morning and the same in the evening apart from sleeping.

If you had to carry 15 buckets of water into the house, you'd know all about it!

Even a miserable shower is 5 to 7L /minute, so it adds up quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

this like listening to someone at a U.S senate hearing, using the 5th amendment

"No Comment"

what was the 33 grand for?

taxis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Unwellness,,

BINGO

• Advertisement

Hate to be an uncaring b*llix but....................

Average payout in Ireland 287,000 euro
    Average payout in UK 20,000 pounds

Rightly they should be compensated but Positive Action shouldn't get a free pass for wasting public money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

joe loves trying to fit "unwell" in many guises into conversations

whats wrong with the word "sickness"?:confused:

For a fella who says he understands why she can't comment on an ongoing criminal investigation he keeps asking the same flipping question.

I'm confused now re. the usage of the word "unwell" - has it been expanded now to include people suffering from a genuine illness as well as junkies and alcos now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Joe tying himself up in knots again with his euphemisms.

How is it overly frightening Joe, just cause someone is sick doesn't mean they haven't committed a crime.

• Advertisement

Would anyone buy it at present - what with the investment needed to fix the leaks, improve quality and build sewage plants - never mind install meters while getting dogs abuse?

whats wrong with the word "sickness"?:confused:

These days that means awesome, marvellous, fantastic.

Not as good as the Panto that is Liveline

Jesus Joe don' say women can't read meters. Da wimmun will be on now roaring

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Even a miserable shower is 5 to 7L /minute, so it adds up quick.

Suppose each person has a 10 minute shower every single day of the year, that'd still be only 50-60 litres. Where do you use the remaining 10 buckets of water?

Flush the toilet a couple of times, 10-15 litres maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

apparently the value of a house is greater if it has a bath.. not sure if this will apply anymore

Rogue Traders , yesss!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Can paulomn give the figures behind his €290 P/A cost. I have being monitoring our usage for a family of three adults & it is averaging 600 litres per day. I have confirmed that I don't have a leak.

Don't mention the T word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

The big T word is it.

BarryD wrote: »
    Suppose each person has a 10 minute shower every single day of the year, that'd still be only 50-60 litres. Where do you use the remaining 10 buckets of water?

Flush the toilet a couple of times, 10-15 litres maybe.

Dunno about you, but I tend to wash dishes and have a crap more than once or twice a day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

120 boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

'I was up there when you got it painted and whatnot'.

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hamilcar wrote: »
    Don't mention the T word

Ok boss :D

Fiddlers on The Roof then methinks................

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement