Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline thread 16/09/2014 to 26/11/2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

any mention on the ethnic background of the scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Padraig Nally should move in to her house, problem solved!!!, lock and load!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I have petrol and matches, if that's any help...
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So this is the 2nd time she has been on Liveline!!! What the fook. Bad luck or what!!!!
    I presume like the previous time someone will stump up the cast.

GI Joe if he was so upset should have dipped his hand.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

neris wrote: »
    any mention on the ethnic background of the scum?

Well from the clues I'm thinking 2 of our Travelling community and 2 foreigners (I'd wager Roma). Expunge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

No money today............................ sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

not even a goodbye....................

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Read this too this morning.

Time Padraic Nally did some training of people

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/mum-stabbed-in-head-by-armed-men-in-terrifying-raid-30715236.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Have they sorted out their Wi-Fi problems yet with the Web Summit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

They did ask her though.

Not much point in just asking, but I understand there is a balance between not giving someones money to them when they wan't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

You know what, you couldn't have stooped any lower with that comment. This aint after hours. The woman said she is not right herself. They intimidated her drove her to the post office for over a half hour and stole her life savings of 3k.
    You obviously do not have any elderly or vulnerable people attached to you. Shame on you.

Well said, this thread is full of posts criticising the callers (include myself) but this post is disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wonder if Kathleen had rang in from Donegal or Waterford or anywhere outside the Pale, would Joe have become so ragingly vexed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fergus gibson reading dreams

might send in a wind up text

Meathlass wrote: »
    Have they sorted out their Wi-Fi problems yet with the Web Summit?

I hope not. It's a hilarious story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    Not much point in just asking, but I understand there is a balance between not giving someones money to them when they wan't it.

What else can they do though its her money.

Roxy Music are splitting up?? :eek:

Hold the Smash Hits front page :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I wonder if Kathleen had rang in from Donegal or Waterford or anywhere outside the Pale, would Joe have become so ragingly vexed?

One suspects not. I always feel at odds when people with real & genuine problems phone in radio shows like this as they can just become fodder for the machine. Next day, new story etc.

Gerry Ryan was pretty bad at exploiting this type of thing as well.

What else can they do though its her money.

Part of the protocol from what I believe is to contact a member of the family to check if they were aware that a large amount was being withdrawn. But as I said its a very hard one to call when its the persons own money.
    I also believe that they might ask the person how they got to the Bank/Post Office and if they got a lift from the WORKERS then the alarm bells might ring. These things don't always work out. Terrible thing to have happened, I'm so sorry for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    Part of the protocol from what I believe is to contact a member of the family to check if they were aware that a large amount was being withdrawn. But as I said its a very hard one to call when its the persons own money.
    I also believe that they might ask the person how they got to the Bank/Post Office and if they got a lift from the WORKERS then the alarm bells might ring. These things don't always work out. Terrible thing to have happened, I'm so sorry for her.
    I feel sorry for Post Office/Bank Officials, they're in a difficult position in situations like this. As for ringing a family member that mightn't help an elderly person much. In my experience lots of elderly people are anxious to keep their financial affairs private or understate their savings so that sons or daughters don't pester them for handouts. The sad fact of the matter is that elderly people are more likely to be taken advantage of by a family member than a stranger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thought Joe was going to explode when he said "I know that" x4

I, for one, am shocked and appalled by the language and tone and excessive use of the b word on today's show. This was exacerbated by the release of children from school at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭mike kelly

BPKS wrote: »
    They couldn't talk proper

you have to feel sorry for her, even now she complains that they didn't fix the roof. Sadly, that's what happens as you get older. Common sense just seems to go out the window. Another few years and I'll be that way myself I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

snubbleste wrote: »
    Thought Joe was going to explode when he said "I know that" x4
    I, for one, am shocked and appalled by the language and tone and excessive use of the b word on today's show. This was exacerbated by the release of children from school at the same time.

He only said it once I think, and he apologised for it.

CPL 593H

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

furiousox wrote: »
    He only said it once I think, and he apologised for it.
    I'm talking about bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Missed that bit! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I'm waiting for somebody to do a mock up of Joe losing the plot today.

Play a clip from The Savage Eye and then having Joe go "the bad, bad, bad, bad, bad baxtard".

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Post Office/Bank Officials, they're in a difficult position in situations like this. As for ringing a family member that mightn't help an elderly person much. In my experience lots of elderly people are anxious to keep their financial affairs private or understate their savings so that sons or daughters don't pester them for handouts. The sad fact of the matter is that elderly people are more likely to be taken advantage of by a family member than a stranger.

I totally agree, its must be so difficult to do "The Right Thing", but at least they should try the best they can. That's all that can be expected from them.

But with scum like this they will find a way around any procedure. Thankfully at least there seems to have been no physical attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Extremely unprofessional though.

I can't see Gráinne Seoighe and Philip Boucher Hayes reacting like that when they're presenting Crimeline.

but, Crimeline is pre-recorded and liveline is a live broadcast...so i don't blame him for his reaction
    lucylu wrote: »
    it might not be professional but it was honest

yep

Perhaps RTE should run some public information adverts alerting older people to the dangers of scammers and cold callers?
    It would only cost a tiny fraction of the license fee to produce these films, and if it stopped people like Kathleen from being robbed, then it would be worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

fryup wrote: »
    but, Crimeline is pre-recorded and liveline is a live broadcast...so i don't blame him for his reaction

yep
    Gaybo presented live radio and television for over 40 years and handled a lot of sensitive and upsetting stories but I never ever heard him lose the head and refer to people as "bad, bad, bad b@stards" like Joe. I stand over my earlier comment, Joe's outburst was incredibly unprofessional and I reckon there will be complaints to the BCI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gaybo presented live radio and television for over 40 years and handled a lot of sensitive and upsetting stories but I never ever heard him lose the head and refer people as "bad, bad, bad b@stards" like Joe. I stand over my earlier comment, Joe's outburst was incredibly unprofessional and I reckon there will be complaints to the BCI.

Not professional by a long chalk but i'd say he'll get away with it. He only summed up what a lot of listeners were thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

These came up in my "others who have purchased this item have also purchased" list on amazon. Ok, which one of you was it - or is Joe selling our boards.ie browsing history to amazon now for a few extra sheckels…….

81cjpHY6ihL._SL1500_.jpg

915dUTGS6AL._SL1500_.jpg

51AXTCsn8lL.jpg

Sorry about the size…..I don't know how to make them smaller. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Sorry about the size…..I don't know how to make them smaller. :(

Dr Jaman's Magic Shrinking Potion...

S5MFCLF.jpg

qfh6Tji.jpg

wtkPjFs.jpg
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Dr Jaman's Magic Shrinking Potion...

S5MFCLF.jpg

qfh6Tji.jpg

wtkPjFs.jpg

Joe told me not to trust d'internet Dan so I didn't want to try your fancy Shrinking Potion so to speak…...

Joe won't mention this topic today, in case PP complain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah you are right. All those years the water system was ran and paid for by fresh air not our taxes.

I bailed out of yesterdays show as it was crap so missed this.

But you're wrong, fresh air didn't pay for our water, neither do our taxes pay for everything involved with the running of the country. I'm amazed at how many people fail to understand the simplicity of balance sheets and how they work.

Some are probably the same people who took out massive mortgages and complain about how they're in negative equity now and can't afford them.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I bailed out of yesterdays show as it was crap so missed this.

But you're wrong, fresh air didn't pay for our water, neither do our taxes pay for everything involved with the running of the country. I'm amazed at how many people fail to understand the simplicity of balance sheets and how they work.

Some are probably the same people who took out massive mortgages and complain about how they're in negative equity now and can't afford them.

I totally agree with you regarding balance sheets, I would love to see the entire balance sheet put forward for Public debate. I read a recent article which stated that there are 70,000 National teachers on pensions at a cost of 4 Billion Euro to the country in 2013. If this is true well I would love to see what the total pension bill (Public and Civil Service) is to the Country. According to regular comments from Eddie Hobbs this is the next thing that will break the Country. Perhaps the debate that should follow, would direct questions at more than just the cost of water?

The present debate is only looking at the cost of water, I would love to see the entire balance sheet broken out into detail on different expenditures, bet a lot more people would take to the streets then or maybe not? The implementation of water charges to "cover the cost of a good water supply" could be repeated for every other service that the State needs to provide. What next? Maybe a traffic light charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The horrible thing about the roofing story is that there may well have been no offence committed by the "ba*****s" in question up to the point where they actually took the money from the woman. The only offence I can think of at the moment is the failure to carry out the work once the money was received (i.e. taking or procuring money under false pretences, fraud and the like) but even that will be hard to prove as a crime no matter how aerated people feel.

Fair play to anyone who actually gets the miscreants before a court but I wouldn't be hopeful. Bad bloody luck to them anyway.

As far as campaigns go I think the the churches made announcements from the pulpits several years ago about this very subject and warned about elderly folk getting work done by tradesmen.

The basis rule is very simple ; NEVER ACCEPT TRADE AT YOUR HALL DOOR.

If you are bounced by these types calling to the door and telling you about your roof problems tell them that you have already engaged someone to call to deal with it and get rid of them.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    The horrible thing about the roofing story is that there may well have been no offence committed by the "ba*****s" in question up to the point where they actually took the money from the woman. The only offence I can think of at the moment is the failure to carry out the work once the money was received (i.e. taking or procuring money under false pretences, fraud and the like) but even that will be hard to prove as a crime no matter how aerated people feel.

Fair play to anyone who actually gets the miscreants before a court but I wouldn't be hopeful. Bad bloody luck to them anyway.

As far as campaigns go I think the the churches made announcements from the pulpits several years ago about this very subject and warned about elderly folk getting work done by tradesmen.

If you are bounced by these types calling to the door and telling you about your roof problems tell them that you have already engaged someone to call to deal with it and get rid of them.

Tell them you have a shotgun and an Alsatian and watch them turn on their holes and hop into the Toyota Dyna.

read about it in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/men-claimed-theyd-fix-pensioners-roof-and-then-stole-her-life-savings-30720128.html

read the comments too, these fellow even have an ad in the Golden Pages FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Tell them Padraig Nally is a close relative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

happened to a neighbour recently, fleeced for a 8000 euro. She contacted the Gardai, who informed her that they could do nothing, unless the "roofers" used intimidation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I did say it yesterday but I know no matter how many times I'd tell my grandparents not to engage someone at the door and the fact they listen to Joe, its very likely they'd fall for something like this. :(

Water charges or Rogue Traders?

Rogue traders.

BPKS wrote: »
    Water charges or Rogue Traders?

Rogue water meter installers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he is still very angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

mike kelly wrote: »
    Joe won't mention this topic today, in case PP complain

Ya reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I feel a new Joe crusade coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Why didn't they give out a description of the Van or the phone numbers written on the Van if they didn't have the reg numbers?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement