Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Fibre. "Up to 100Mb", I'm only getting 38mb

Options
  • 16-09-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Had efibre installed yesterday, and while I'm pleased that my connection went from 8mb to 38mb, its still nowhere near the 90 - 100 mentioned in the sales letter sent to me by Eircom.

Was I led to believe I'd get close to 90 but in fact its not even close to 50?

The engineer said my laptop was preventing it being faster but I can't see how - I've disabled the bandwith limiter in Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Had efibre installed yesterday, and while I'm pleased that my connection went from 8mb to 38mb, its still nowhere near the 90 - 100 mentioned in the sales letter sent to me by Eircom.

The engineer said my laptop was preventing it being faster but I can't see how - I've disabled the bandwith limiter in Windows XP.

Any ideas?
    Can you do a test on your line on the Eircom site? Mine showed 2 weeks ago that the max i could get was 50mb down, but now its showing I can get up to 90mb down. The catch is in the "UP TO"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

laptop preventing it from being faster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Can you do a test on your line on the Eircom site? Mine showed 2 weeks ago that the max i could get was 50mb down, but now its showing I can get up to 90mb down. The catch is in the "UP TO"

I didn't know you could do this! Is there a link?

Many thanks

3rdDegree wrote: »
    gerrybbadd wrote: »

I didn't know you could do this! Is there a link?

Many thanks
    The way i do it is. Go to the main website. Click on broadband on the top ribbon. Then click "More details" on any of the e-fibre packages. This will prompt you to first enter your phone number to see if you can get E-Fibre. Then, once it's confirmed you can, there's another link "Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home"

Sorry, this is very long winded!

I have chosen not to upgrade for the minute anyhow, cos Eircom want €52 a month for a service that's not much faster than i'm already getting from them for €36 a month - Logic eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Did all that, here's the answer:

"You can get a maximum of 90Mb download speed
    [font=Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif]The speed available to you is dependent on the distance from your home to exchange. The best speeds will always be achieved by connecting your device to the modem via the ethernet cable. Wi-Fi speeds will vary based on distance from the modem, the amount of users connected and other electrical devices that may be using the same wireless channel e.g. cordless phones or baby monitors. Keeping up to date with software, firmware and antivirus updates will also ensure your device will be able to achieve optimum speeds."[/font]

While I am on wi-fi and not ethernet, the laptop is pretty close to the modem and there are no cordless phone or baby monitors connected. There's no electrical equipment between the laptop and the hall.

It should still be more than 38mb, right?

• Advertisement

Did all that, here's the answer:

"You can get a maximum of 90Mb download speed
    [font=Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif]The speed available to you is dependent on the distance from your home to exchange. The best speeds will always be achieved by connecting your device to the modem via the ethernet cable. Wi-Fi speeds will vary based on distance from the modem, the amount of users connected and other electrical devices that may be using the same wireless channel e.g. cordless phones or baby monitors. Keeping up to date with software, firmware and antivirus updates will also ensure your device will be able to achieve optimum speeds."[/font]

While I am on wi-fi and not ethernet, the laptop is pretty close to the modem and there are no cordless phone or baby monitors connected. There's no electrical equipment between the laptop and the hall.

It should still be more than 38mb, right?
    Exactly. 38MB isn't about the set the world on fire. Guarantee that if you were to hook up via ethernet, you're speed would still only likely increase to 40mb max. Can't blame you for not being happy with that mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Over to you, Eircom person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Looks like your wifi adapter may be limiting your  connection speed. What is your router connecting at? Login to your router at
    http://192.168.1.254/ ;

Look under Interface Status on the right, figures opposite DSL.. 

Various wifi enabled laptops/devices connect at different speed to my router - all in the same room. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Over to you, Eircom person.
    You've an old Laptop running on Windows XP.

If you've a wifi device on it, it's quite possibly only for G wifi, which will give the speeds you receive.

Your best bet without getting a new laptop would be to use ethernet, but you'll likely only have a 10/100 ethernet port too. So you'll get close, but not what you've ordered.

If you've a friend or someone with a more recent laptop (upto 3 years old which'll likelt have a 10/100/1000 ethernet port), get them to call down and plug it in to the router for a truer measure of the speeds you are getting.

Your laptop is substandard for the service you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

As above, tests are not valid when done over wifi. Do not bother testing unless you use an ethernet cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Any ideas?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi eviltimeban

If you would like to PM me your account number I can escalate this to technical support to investigate.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

Advertisement