Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Culture Night 2014

Options
  • 16-09-2014 3:30pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Culture Night is almost here again - it is this Friday, 19th September.

Lots of things to see and do as usual, though I have been to so many Culture Nights I will be looking for something a bit different this time. One new addition I noticed was the Stephen's Green Hibernian Club
    The Stephen’s Green Hibernian Club are delighted to host an event for Dublin Culture Night. For the first time in 170 years we are opening our doors to the public to discover a property immersed in Dublin’s history.
    Being a nosy bugger, i will definitely go to have a look at this, it may end up being the Freemason's Hall of 2014, lol. Word got around fast the year they threw open their doors!

There are a few other things I have my eye on, has anything on the schedule caught your fancy yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Looking for tips if anyone has any?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It depends what kind of things you like...music? Art? History? Poetry? Storytelling? Walking tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm pretty open minded but if I had to choose I'd say history and story telling

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP if you want to go to the Freemasons House without the crowds of Culture Night they will give you a tour of the building if you email and ask them. They're quite a friendly and open bunch, far from the secretive society that the stereotype would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we went to the guiness storehouse a few years ago which was the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Is there a paper booklet or guide to Culture Night? Where can I get one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There usually is one but I haven't spotted any yet this year. Usually you will pick them up in somewhere like Gutter Bookshop or any of the bigger venues included in the programme like NCH or something. Or maybe the photo galleries around Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

you might get one in a library. I picked up one in the Little Museum on Stephens Green, at top of Dawson Street yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I got tickets for a show in the Leprechaun Museum so that should be interesting. Have no idea what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

we went to the guiness storehouse a few years ago which was the best.

I think they no longer participate:(

• Advertisement

Pang wrote: »
    I got tickets for a show in the Leprechaun Museum so that should be interesting. Have no idea what to expect!

A good dose of leprechaunalia marinated in a sauce of paddywhackery, at a guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A good dose of leprechaunalia marinated in a sauce of paddywhackery, at a guess :p
    optional salad dressing of shamrocks and rainbows :) washed down with neat poteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Pang wrote:

I've been. It's not good. Keep expectations low and be thankful you're not paying in!

I've been. It's not good. Keep expectations low and be thankful you're not paying in!

haha glad to hear I'm not missing anything :pac:

When I saw it open up I got a large attack of the cringe, followed by a few guffaws of 'that'll never last'. And here we are about four years on and its still going strong. The shame.

Yer man who set it all up, all his family and friends must have thought he had lost his marbles when he announced that he was going to build a Leprachaun Muesum. He's laughing now, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Oh my goodness, just back. Very underwhelmed. A 15 minute show of a girl acting out a story about a demon cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Is there any reason most things shut around 9pm? It leaves very little time to explore venues without rushing about, and you have to be careful in selecting the 2 or 3 things you get to see before the night is over.

Perhaps it would be better suited to a Saturday and start in the morning, running all day?

I remember the Nuit Blanche all-nighter festivals I experienced while living in Toronto and Montreal where you could see a movie at 7, rock out at a free gig at 11pm, go off to a museum at 3am, then finish off with some jazz around 5am.

Of course the knackers/drunks would probably ruin it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mrcheez wrote: »
    I remember the Nuit Blanche all-nighter festivals I experienced while living in Toronto and Montreal where you could see a movie at 7, rock out at a free gig at 11pm, go off to a museum at 3am, then finish off with some jazz around 5am.
    Jazz to finish, eh? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

She'd go by many names....

Advertisement