Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone please help, garda vetting?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Basically when I was 14 I was extremely unhappy I was in a private school , I didn't fit in I was excluded by everyone par the teachers and nastily bullied I became extremely depressed and my solution was getting stupidly twisted off my face.
    Long story short one weekend I got arrested and given a jlo I can't even remember what I was warned about etc I just remember I had to go to the garda station once with my parents and promise it wouldn't happen again.
    Fast forward nearly four years later I'm in a new school and I'll be filling out my cao form in a few months I'm considering applying for nursing however can anyone guarantee me I'll be all clear for garda vetting ? and if I'm applying for UCAS will I be able to get through their system as well this whole stupid mistake is on my brain since the start of fifth year.

I'd ask my parents but I know they would just lash out at me if I reminded them about the whole incident and I cant ask my guidance Councillor in my new school unless I want all of the staff room gossiping about me.I feel like I'm stuck.Any info would be appreciated :D thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'll move this to Legal Discussion for you. People there should know for sure.

I know people I taught with JLOs ended up in all sorts of careers, so I don't think it should be an issue, but I'll move it to the people who should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

The whole point of the JLO is to keep you out of the formal criminal justice system so you won't mess up your future with silly mistakes made when a teenager. You won't have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭Esel

c00peach wrote: »
    I cant ask my guidance Councillor in my new school unless I want all of the staff room gossiping about me.I feel like I'm stuck.Any info would be appreciated :D thanks
    Would the counsellor not have a duty of confidentiality?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

As pointed out, the JLO was a caution and not a conviction.

If you've any questions, ring your local Garda district headquarters and ask to speak to the JLO, they'll be able to confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Esel wrote: »
    Would the counsellor not have a duty of confidentiality?
    Yes, they would, but in any case I suspect people in this forum would be more knowledgeable on the subject, and far less embarrassing for the OP. ;)

Advertisement