Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermac's food on a plate

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Packrat

Another country person here who thinks Supermacs food is rank. The chips as mentioned are greasy and limp, - as if steamed.
    Their burgers are imo pure dried processed vomit.

How anyone can prefer their food to BK or even McDs is a mystery to me.

Oh, and I'm well aware what goes into the other two's food is no better, but at least it tastes ok while you're eating it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Supermacs is far superior to McDonalds but lacks their cheap deals. I have seen the plate phenomenon old people before and it shocked me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wompa1 wrote: »
    HeHe, it's just funny how taste buds seem to be different in Dublin :)
    It must be something to do with mushy chips that turn into a bowl of mash after a short few minutes, or burgers that taste like they came straight from a Big Al's packet I guess. Not necessarily worse than McDonald's or Burger King, but at least those two are generally cheaper and don't give you a bowl of mush to go with your burger when you're locked and just looking for anything to eat at 3am.

I'm a far bigger fan of a late night burrito though, much tastier and easier to walk and eat with than a burger and chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Billy86 wrote: »
    It must be something to do with mushy chips that turn into a bowl of mash after a short few minutes, or burgers that taste like they came straight from a Big Al's packet I guess. Not necessarily worse than McDonald's or Burger King, but at least those two are generally cheaper and don't give you a bowl of mush to go with your burger when you're locked and just looking for anything to eat at 3am.

I'm a far bigger fan of a late night burrito though, much tastier and easier to walk and eat with than a burger and chips.

Fair enough, though not so long ago you'd get a snack box in Supermacs cheaper than an average meal in McDonalds. Also, Personally I think Burger King is still more expensive.

Not a fan of Supermacs burgers. No problem with the chips though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Packrat wrote: »
    Another country person here who thinks Supermacs food is rank. The chips as mentioned are greasy and limp, - as if steamed.
    Their burgers are imo pure dried processed vomit.

Agreed, their chips are awful, there are plenty better chippers in any town or city where you can get proper chips. I get the feeling that their burgers are made from the cheapest meat (probably cows lips, bladders and hooves) possible.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Fair enough, though not so long ago you'd get a snack box in Supermacs cheaper than an average meal in McDonalds. Also, Personally I think Burger King is still more expensive.

Not a fan of Supermacs burgers. No problem with the chips though
    I wouldn't be so sure - McDonald's obviously don't do chicken pieces but I think it's about 7.50 for a 12 box of nuggets, chips and a drink. In Supermacs it's about 7.00 for two pieces of chicken and chips, but no drink. Best value there is in the chippers, but in the city centre while some choppers are really good others are absolute rank so it can be a big of a crap shoot, especially for people knew to the area of just up for the weekend.

I also think all the burgers are pretty awful for the three major chains, more than the odd time if I've been working in town and looking for a quick, cheap lunch I've been able to pick up on a strange, salty taste which I'm suspicious is MSG, because if I found a bit in that same burger that it was missing from, there was this inedible taste that made me think the meat was a year old. Exaggeration obviously, but it's all bad stuff (nothing wrong with going for it the odd time, though).

I'm telling you though, burritos are the way to go ;) . Much tidier than kebabs to eat because they are tighter wrapped and then put in foil, generally around €6-7 so the same price as the others give or take a few pennies, far more filling (they're absolutely packed) and help with the hangover much more in my opinion. It's surprising that they've taken so long to take off over here, they're basically the perfect drunk food, like an upgrade on the kebab. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Billy86 wrote: »

I'm telling you though, burritos are the way to go ;) . Much tidier than kebabs to eat because they are tighter wrapped and then put in foil, generally around €6-7 so the same price as the others give or take a few pennies, far more filling (they're absolutely packed) and help with the hangover much more in my opinion. It's surprising that they've taken so long to take off over here, they're basically the perfect drunk food, like an upgrade on the kebab. :D

Are you talking about Supermacs here? They have burritos now, new part of the chipper theyve opened similar to papa johns and the Sub sandwich section

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Are you talking about Supermacs here? They have burritos now, new part of the chipper theyve opened similar to papa johns and the Sub sandwich section

Didn't actually know that, but the Papa John's stuff isn't too bad compared to some other pizza chains so the burritos might be worth a go if km stuck - one thing Supermacs have done very well us integrating other places into their premises, was in the main one in Galway over Paddy's weekend (f think it was Eyre Square but I was in no condition to be giving directions!) and they had a number of different options there. I was thinking mainly of Pablo Picante, it's about a one minute walk from the part of O'Connell Street with BK/McDonalds/Supermacs if you walk in the direction of the main square in Templebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Boojum do lovely burritos. They don't open late though if you're looking for drunk food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Boojum do lovely burritos. They don't open late though if you're looking for drunk food.

Boojum is on another planet to Supermac's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Boojum is on another planet to Supermac's!

Ya but Supermacs aren't worse than any other chipper except for the price. They could be cheaper and they would be great. I remember when their portions were bigger too when I was a teenager. I used to get MASSIVE curry chips. Like they'd fill the whole box up that the plastic tray was in. There's nicer around but they're not worlds apart.

I think Dubs just like to take pot shots at something that is seen as having been established in rural Ireland and that is seen to support the GAA and that.

Anyway, I don't eat fast food much these days and when I do it's never McD's, Supermacs etc. but a local place instead.

Advertisement