Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to the states looking for Over Ear headphones - Any suggestions ? Budget 250

• 16-09-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks I'm heading to the states at the weekend and am looking to pick up a set of Headphones.
    Music Choice is more Grunge/Singer Song writer with some Drum and Bass too.
    Looking at the
    Shure SRH940
    Shure SRH1440
    AKG 702
    NAD Electronics VISO HP50
    HiFiman HE 400
    Would be listening to Vinyl on my Hifi but have an IBasso dx50 too.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I've a set of HE400 and they're fantastic, definitely worth every penny.
    The bass and highs are great, the mids are a bit recessed but they should suit your needs nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Big headphones usually need a headphone amplifier. I have the AKG Q701 headphones which would be much the same as the K702. I also have the Sennheiser HD650. I listen to music off the computer but that through a DAC and a headphone amplifier. I don't think an MP3 player would be able to drive them properly, to use the jargon.

You probably know about Head-fi.org which is a popular site for this sort of information. As they say there "Welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

A DX50 should be able to power majority of those just fine, hopefully you can find a place to try them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks for the info but I've had the AKG 701's and they're a lovely set of headphones but found them uncomfortable. And as stated the dx50 should run them fine butit's obviously my Hifi where I'll get the majority of use from them. I can't imagine myself going around town the with Hifimans on lol.

Thanks for the info but I've had the AKG 701's and they're a lovely set of headphones but found them uncomfortable. And as stated the dx50 should run them fine butit's obviously my Hifi where I'll get the majority of use from them. I can't imagine myself going around town the with Hifimans on lol.

You're right about that, although I've seen 650s in the wild! Obviously the HP50s and the 940s would be the best suited for both indoor and outdoor! Sure hopefully you can find somewhere to test them out so you can find out yourself what suits you most!

• Advertisement

Any opinions on the NAD Electronics VISO HP50 ?

Any opinions on the NAD Electronics VISO HP50 ?

Never heard them myself, they had a pair in the Cloney Audio in Tower Records in town!

This could be worth a read!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646735/nad-viso-hp50-another-superb-headphone-from-paul-barton

Ordered the HE400 :D can't wait to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ordered the HE400 :D can't wait to hear them.
    How are you finding the HE-400s, muppetkiller?

With the pending launch of the HE-400i they've dropped the price to $299 which puts them at the same price as the Mad Dogs making my choice that bit more difficult. I've never owned a pair of open back headphones so I'm not really sure how much better they are in general or how less suitable they are for wearing in a shared apartment than than their closed back brethren.

gizmo wrote: »
    How are you finding the HE-400s, muppetkiller?

With the pending launch of the HE-400i they've dropped the price to $299 which puts them at the same price as the Mad Dogs making my choice that bit more difficult. I've never owned a pair of open back headphones so I'm not really sure how much better they are in general or how less suitable they are for wearing in a shared apartment than than their closed back brethren.

I love them. Everything I've played through them sounds like Luxury lol
    If you're based around Galway you're more than welcome to try them out.
    My only complaint would be the cable connections on the headphones themselves. But it's purely cosmetic.
    I'm mainly using them at the moment on my PC playing Alien Isolation and the details are incredible.

I will say though that mp3's sound soulless with them though...you really need quality Audio sources to bring them to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I will say though that mp3's sound soulless with them though...you really need quality Audio sources to bring them to life.

Once you get good cans it's a natural progression!

Thought about lossless and a DAC set-up yet? :p:D

Morf wrote: »
    Once you get good cans it's a natural progression!

Thought about lossless and a DAC set-up yet? :p:D

I have an iBasso DX50 that I use as a DAC and for listening to 24BIT lossless on the move.
    But I mainly listen to Vinyl on the Hifi so Yes I'm already too far down the Lossless side of things that it's costing me a fortune to buy the same music again lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I love them. Everything I've played through them sounds like Luxury lol
    If you're based around Galway you're more than welcome to try them out.
    My only complaint would be the cable connections on the headphones themselves. But it's purely cosmetic.
    I'm mainly using them at the moment on my PC playing Alien Isolation and the details are incredible.

Ah, excellent! Alas I'm living abroad at the moment so I can't take you up on the listening test offer but massive thanks for offering, it really is a pain trying to decipher comfort levels and appropriateness for different genres from the internet. :o

I'm not worried about the audio source though, I re-ripped my collection to FLAC awhile back and anything I've bought digitally since has been in the same format. I'm also powering them through a Creative ZxR whose headphone amp should be sufficient for both of my choices for now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have an iBasso DX50 that I use as a DAC and for listening to 24BIT lossless on the move.
    But I mainly listen to Vinyl on the Hifi so Yes I'm already too far down the Lossless side of things that it's costing me a fortune to buy the same music again lol.

I'm not convinced on 24bit beyond a better standard of mastering. If it works for you though!

Advertisement