Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo in Galway - how are you finding it?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

So at the beginning I was a big Hailo fan and used it all the time.Lately though I find a lot of the drivers don't know where they're going or where places are,they seem to be completely new to Galway. The last 4 times I've used it has required several phone calls between me and the driver so they could find me, despite them having the map and me having edited the address so they have my exact location. Also their meter starts running once they "arrive" in the area but not once you're picked up,this is generally fine as they don't charge for five mins. The last couple of occasions however I've been on the phone negotiating where the driver is in relation to myself and getting "your driver has been waiting 5 mins now" messages.

So I'm wondering am I alone in having these problems? Maybe they're just once offs that have happened 4 times in a row to me? Anyone else noticed the same?
    I'm reluctant to give up on them because it's great when it works but really annoying when it doesn't.It seems to be fantastic in Dublin and I haven't heard complaints of these issues but is it less good in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Galway Taxis have a hailo-like app and they are one of the bigger operators. I think most people in galway already have some loyalty to a taxi company. There's not that many large companies and if yuo use a reputable firm the driver will know where he is going (and actually be a legally operated taxi).

https://itunes.apple.com/ag/app/galway-taxis/id555715232?mt=8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.taxicaller.galway.app

They also have a website that seems to allow you to hail a taxi that way. The website is a nice mix of horrible 90s web design and new features.
    http://www.galwaytaxis.biz/

for some reason they have a second website here :
    http://www.galwaytaxis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah I always used to use Galway Taxis but the idea of not having to wait outside until the taxi comes is so handy with hailo. I'll try that app next time though, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

OP - I've experienced the same issue on multiple occasions. Once the driver gets anywhere near the area they mark themselves as arrived to start the 5min timer. Then I get a call looking for directions. Since they have "arrived" I no longer get their position and I suspect they no longer get mine, making the directions needlessly awkward. After getting this 3 times in a row I reported it to Hailo, they requested job numbers and cautioned the drivers, I assume after X amount of cautions they get kicked off the network.

I've also had very inexperienced drivers that didn't know where in Galway Shantalla was.

The worst instance was a driver that was 4mins away and coming towards the house, then took a turn off and started heading out towards Knocknacarra. I rang him asking if he was lost, he said no, just getting around heavy traffic. :confused: He continued in the opposite direction, up into a housing estate, stopped at a house, then continued back into town. He had clearly picked up another fare on the way and left me waiting 15-20mins... I reported this one too and the driver was cautioned.

That said, the last 4/5 times I've used it has been perfect. They should allow multiple drivers accept the trip for a minute then you can pick one based on their user rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I use City Taxis as there fares are set and not by the Meter. Normally only €8 into town. but if I call another company it can be anywhere up to €12

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've found them fine.

Usually get picked up from an industrial estate which looks like a weird spot on the map, and I've struggled to see where to enter the exact place name into the app. But once they ring me and ask, they know exactly where I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Used it once or twice and it was grand. We mostly use Pro-Cabs though so only use Hailo on those crazy nights when Pro-Cabs have half an hour waits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Generally how much cheaper is a Hailo fare than a meter fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

snubbleste wrote: »
    Generally how much cheaper is a Hailo fare than a meter fare?

They use the same metering rate as any other company. The main benefit I get with them is the free credit they're always giving away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You don't pay call out charge also which is two euro.

The other advantage is whenever I'm using them I never wait more than 3 min for a taxi.

I must be the only one who has had regular trouble with them. I've given up on them now, even though I have an unspent 20 euro voucher.

One two occasions in the past month I've had someone in my area, one in my estate, accept my journey on the app and tell me they'll be there within mins but then I've watched them on the app as they continue out of the area and as far away as town. I rang one driver ,he insisted he was stuck in traffic outside the estate, told him I could see him at the cathedral area and either to cancel the journey or I'd report him and he admitted he was heading into town on the Salmon Weir Bridge but would pick me in 2 mins in the westside area! Told me he would not cancel the journey and I'd be charged 5 euro if I didn't take his cab. He cancelled it after an argument and after I'd wasted 20 mins on him in total. Both guys I had trouble with were Irish too.
    And yes, I did report both.

I'm finding the Galway Taxis app much better so far, fingers crossed it'll continue. The only slight irritation is you have to press something on the phone on it to pay your driver and I forgot to once and taxi guys don't seem to realise you have to do it so don't remind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We were unlucky enough to get an absolute dick of a driver the the last night. The fare went over the free voucher, fair enough. But he started screaming at us over it and was generally taking the pish with the route. Probably a one-off case and I'll use it when I don't need to get further than Knockers but really put me off using it for a while anyways.

That said when I used the app I got a phonecall instantly from said driver and on a cold night that makes a big difference. We get great service off a city cab service and we can pre-agree a fare beforehand which is dead on.

We were unlucky enough to get an absolute dick of a driver the the last night. The fare went over the free voucher, fair enough. But he started screaming at us over it and was generally taking the pish with the route. Probably a one-off case and I'll use it when I don't need to get further than Knockers but really put me off using it for a while anyways.

That said when I used the app I got a phonecall instantly from said driver and on a cold night that makes a big difference. We get great service off a city cab service and we can pre-agree a fare beforehand which is dead on.

Did you report it or did your rating of the driver reflect the bad experience?
    Personally I've had a few bad experiences with them now, over ten, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't rate those trips at all because I felt like I don't want them to know I gave them a bad rating and have them know where I live and possibly get in next to them again on the way home. I emailed the company to complain instead on instances where it's been particularly bad.I think towns like galway are a bit small for ratings maybe? Signs by it the drivers I've had who had no idea where they were going or where to pick me up had 5 star ratings and I can't imagine they managed to pick other passengers up without trouble if they can't find locations like merchants road.

Do people here generally leave negative ratings if they're unhappy with the service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aye gave a a really bad rating for it and I'm usually very understanding that everybody can have bad days. This guy was a complete cowboy though.

Advertisement