Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Banking Services in Ireland

Options
  • 16-09-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I just want to open an Thread and see if anyone think the service and quality of banks are useless these days.

I have been dealing with an Bank of Ireland Branch on a mortgage issue for the last 4 months and it is still no nearer being resolve as I have been given incorrect advice or advised to complete incorrect documents which had made the process longer.

They are beyond poor in their customer services skills, with no response to calls or emails, yet the lovely business cards states that they will respond with 24 hours which they never do.

I did get a new person taking over my query and while i was grateful that he called me and gave me updates at first, now he disappear and does not answer the calls or emails.

Banks are always looking for business but once, they have it, they throw their customers in dust bin and forget to maintain the relationship.

Anyone else on the Forum have issues as well ??

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions. Apologies mods if this is not the right forum but it isn't an Investments & Markets thread either.

Local charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Hopefully, people will notice it in Banking & Insurance & Pensions thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There are very few, if any "relationship bankers" left any more - you have to be wealthy enough for private banking or you go through the call centre like everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

+1 on the above,

I remember years ago in college we were brought on a bank subsidized night out (food, drink etc) with a few of these "personal bankers".

Had a great night, promised the world of course.

Called into that branch last year to ask regarding a loan for further education - told to ring cusomer services.

How times have changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have a bank account with AIB, BOI and KBC(free student banking). I find both AIB and KBC amazing to deal with. I havent had a single issue with AIB in 8 years, they have always been able to answer my question first time round and their branches are brilliant in Dublin. KBC is also really efficient and quick to answer calls.

I dont have a positive thing to say about BOI. I find all their branch staff to be incredible arrogant and unhelpful(I use several of their branches regularly). In one branch I have to wait about 45 mins every time to go to the counter, as the teller is having a conversation with everyone and this branch only has one automated machine( unlike AIB who have several in every branch). Ever BOI staff member has a different answer for a simple question. Their online banking is a nightmare to use. I genuinely have nothing positive to say about them.

OP I just suggest you find a bank other than BOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I am banking with PTSB and they have made a great transition from branch to online which is optimal for me (as I like to do things online or over the phone).

My branch has changed quite a lot but the only reason these days to go into the branch is to due larger cash withdraws (with the cash desk only open 1000 to 1500 now), everything else I need to do can be done online or over the phone.

They have started to have the call center open 7 days now and i find they are always very helpful and friendly and at least for me going the extra mile to ensure I get good customer service.

They offer their banking app for windows phones (miracle) not just the church of apple followers and so far I have not had a single problem with online transfers.

I also have an account with a German Bank (DKB) which does not even have branches and it's even better, they have 24/7 customer support and loads of free features. I wish PTSB would make the next move and also get fully fee free (Example ATM withdraws outside € are free with DKB Visa card, they even refund local bank charges).

Overall I can not agree with the sentiment that banking services have deteriorated, I feel they have improved, at least with PTSB and the services I use.

Thanks All for very good and valid points

I am banking with PTSB now and I have found them very good and no problems.

However BOI is sincerely a joke

I think hfallada has made all the correct comments with regard to BOI - they are simply usless and Every BOI staff member has a different answer for a simple question.

There is no accountability there, one keeps passing on the blame to the next and when you want to get a valid reason for their decision, there is nobody to find to properly explain the situation, therefore leaving the customer in the lull as to what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I guess you have to vote with your feet. I dont bank with BOI but a lot of what Im hearing recently is piss poor in terms of service. I wouldnt be in any rush to bank with them on the basis of it.

If others were the same it might give them the kick up the arse they clearly need.

I would like to vote with my feet and give them a kick up the arse.

While I am with PTSB, my mortgage is with BOI, and in joint names with my brother.

I am trying to take on the mortgage from brother, but have been rejected without a valid reason.

It took me 4 months to get this far, after submitting correct and incorrect documentation from incompete branch staff member whose only job is tooo humour the client while the main decision is made upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

I'm with bank of Ireland for the last year, I find their online "service" infuriating. Surely the idea of online services is quicker banking, if you use their online service desk you might get a reply in two or three days. To set up a standing order you apply online but then have to wait for a code to arrive in the post to fully set it up! Some days the phone app doesn't work and today I was waiting over 10 minutes to get through to a representative on the phone. Joke of a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I prefer online banking as much as possible - I have one niggle with ptsb in that you cant view the IBAN or BIC of a payee once you have set them up, and you cant convert a one-off payee into a standing order payee (is that two niggles?) Not writing these things down I always have to call the customer centre to ask for these details..

You can set these payees up instantly though which sounds miles better than BOI

Advertisement