Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next step in the business venture??

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

hey guys, have some capital saved up around 50,000 and wondering what the next best step is have thought about reinvesting in my pub by putting in a kitchen and some rooms for b and b. i dont like the idea of shares as i know nothing about them.
    so thinking about reinvesting in my business may not get the returns...
    investing in someones business idea, risky...
    real estate which normally returns maybe 5% to maybe 8% a year.
    no shares cause don't know anything about them.
    looking for opinions, ideas and suggestions for the next step in the portfolio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

So what exactly is your question? It is far from obvious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Themag

pedronomix wrote: »
    So what exactly is your question? It is far from obvious!!

Some investment ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Good pub food will pay back 10 fold. Get it fight first time. Takes placed years to get there menu right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Good pub food will pay back 10 fold. Get it fight first time. Takes placed years to get there menu right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

There is a dedicated forum on investments see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=859

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 1sky

Is there a market for pub lunches in your area?
    Where do people eat at the moment?

No point investing in a fancy kitchen if nobody is going to buy dinner lunches. It could turn out to be a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Simon_Gunson

Word of caution. I lost the shirt off my back buying an established night club located in a hot spot for pubs and clubs.

The previous owner falsified tax returns, co-opted lawyers and accountants to corroborate his claims and concealed the club was making a loss on alcohol and making real profits from selling drugs from behind the counter to regular customers.

If you don't understand why the club is making money or how. If the existing owner is cagey showing you their books just walk away. There are plenty of other bargains.

You do have to get it right and if anything smells or if there is anything wrong in the contract, even the slightest word wrong in the sale & purchase agreement call time out and do not be afraid to walk away. People will lie and cheat and smile at you as they do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You could always take the time to learn about shares instead of writing them off completely. At least if you have the free time and patience since obviously there's a lot to learn. You'd honestly be better off and get better help if you posted more details about your current business since, even though you mightn't be comfortable sharing possibly personal information, we could think about better alternatives more suited to the location.

Like, are there other b&b's in the area already? Do you know if they do consistently good business because the area has high traffic/tourism? What is your main demographic of customer and what could be changed and improved to cater to and attract them more? A pub near me wasn't doing too well because the young crowd eventually all changed to another pub and the original pub made a little outside canvas area and threw free BBQs and brought in decent bands and had drink promotions over the summer and that got customers and business back. Put yourself in your customers shoes and think about what you would like and change. The entrance to a pub and club is hugely important also since it sets the tone of what kind of establishment it is immediately.

I'd like to be in a position to finance other peoples startups and get high equity since once it's up and running I could be getting returns it'd be residual income. But obviously there's still risk involved in this which is why it'd be up to you to do a lot of research on the market and business models.

Advertisement