Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's cats invasion

Options
  • 16-09-2014 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Backyard is open. Neighbour's cats come in. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about this? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A good dog or there is powder I believe that repels cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Similar happened to my friends Mam with the cats actually coming into her house if she left the door open
    Her solution-water gun and spray them every time they came near her back yard.
    (pretty humane solution in that it doesn't actually harm the cat in any way)
    Took about a week and a few wet cats but it solved her problem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Woodies / B&Q or any good garden centre sell good cat/dog repellant spray. Works really well. Only downside- you have to reapply after rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Why is it a problem? Are they damaging anything, or leaving poo behind?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Another idea- get clear plastic coke (or whatever soft drink of your choice) bottles. Off-cut them to half-height. Fill with water. Place in flower bed or other border areas. The theory is the refractive images as cats (or dogs or other creatures) walk in the garden- spooks them and they go away. Along the same line- and quite popular in Ireland- is to string unwanted CDs at regular intervals around the backyard- at about 3-4 foot height. Similar idea- the refractive light from the CDs spooks the cats- and they bugger off.

Of course- you do get kick-ass cats who don't give a damn- who need the chemical deterrents- so you may have to go down that road anyway........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

goz83 wrote: »

Because they are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rasgav

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Similar happened to my friends Mam with the cats actually coming into her house if she left the door open
    Her solution-water gun and spray them every time they came near her back yard.
    (pretty humane solution in that it doesn't actually harm the cat in any way)
    Took about a week and a few wet cats but it solved her problem

As a cat owner and resident of an area with an extremely high cat population, I can confirm that this is the correct solution.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Cats apparently don't like the smell of citrus. Figure out where exactly they're coming into the garden (they tend to enter/leave at the same place) and spray it down with lemon juice and/or leave halved lemons and oranges around. You'll have to do it a few times before they'll completely go away.

I've done it in my place and it seems to have worked - the back garden was like a giant litter tray for them before I started.

It's also a bit prettier than having half cut bottles around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

goz83 wrote: »

Its a problem because it is their home and land and its up to them who want to have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Its a problem because it is their home and land and its up to them who want to have on it.

Good fences make good neighbours and all that.

As a cat owner I would also recommend the water gun approach, we used to use a spray gun on our cat when he was a kitten to try and train him not to claw the couch, jump on the counters and it sort of worked :p If you spray the cats every time they come into your garden and chase they off they will get the message after a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Because they are evil.

A really strange sentiment that for some reason has gained a lot of traction in the last few years, even if just in jest. They're just an animal.

Some kind of repellant, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Draco wrote: »
    It's also a bit prettier than having half cut bottles around.

I know, there ain't nothing pretty about drunken bottles marauding around the place. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

A Sprinkler in the Garden and a Water gun in the house should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Tarzana wrote: »
    A really strange sentiment that for some reason has gained a lot of traction in the last few years, even if just in jest. They're just an animal.

Some kind of repellant, OP.

Jesus, it was just a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

cpoh1 wrote: »

Better bring out the gatlin guns then and erect the high voltage electric fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I used tacking from carpet along my fence and a hose. I quite enjoyed the brave puddy tat who dared cross the tack make their exit after a quick blast of the hose pipe. There are other solutions however probably better discussed by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Didn't realise cats were such a source of terror for such a large portion of the population judging by this sample. I deal with strangers cats that come near my garden by throwing them a piece of sausage or petting them on the head, haven't contracted ebola or anything like that so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thargor wrote: »
    Didn't realise cats were such a source of terror for such a large portion of the population judging by this sample. I deal with strangers cats that come near my garden by throwing them a piece of sausage or petting them on the head, haven't contracted ebola or anything like that so far...

I have a fenced garden because I like to share my Garden with the flowers, decking, friends, birds and insects. If I wanted to company of a cat. I'd get a cat. The fact that I despise the things however means that would never happen.

If I had a dog, and I left it roam into others gardens fouling along the way, I am sure I'd hear all about it.

I also have a lovely black car, the bonnet of which is destroyed from my neighbours cat using it as a warming block at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If a cat wants in its coming in, its like trying to keep drugs out of Mountjoy, you probably just think they stopped using your lawn on their patrols when you put up the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MugMugs wrote: »
    I have a fenced garden because I like to share my Garden with the flowers, decking, friends, birds and insects. If I wanted to company of a cat. I'd get a cat. The fact that I despise the things however means that would never happen.

If I had a dog, and I left it roam into others gardens fouling along the way, I am sure I'd hear all about it.

I also have a lovely black car, the bonnet of which is destroyed from my neighbours cat using it as a warming block at night.

Your wasting your time. Cat owners incorrectly assume that their responsibility for their pet ends at the window it leaves from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement