Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed at 60mb/UPC

Options
  • 16-09-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I was wondering for others on the UPC Fiber60/60MB Download plan what speeds you are getting??

I seem to be getting extremely slow speeds at only 2.33mb/s download at 20ms ping from Speed test...Is this the speed I'm expected to be getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Do you get the same results both over wifi and when connected directly to the UPC router via a cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chymes

Hi,

I've just tested it...Seems like its my fault :( The cable actually hits about 60mb...There seems to be 2 problems..

1) I'm too far away from the router (Should i purchase a Wifi Repeater/Extender? Or I heard about something like a pipeline adapter...???)
    2) The connection itself even with cable sometimes goes at 60mb, sometimes its at 1mb also...

Any solutions?!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Powerline Adapter is the term.

UPC seem to recommend these - I've no idea whether they are any good. At first glance they seem appropriate.

Here's a review of some powerline adapters - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/3490638/best-powerline-adapters-2014/

Whatever you go for, go for at least 500Mbps versions.

A couple of semi-relevant threads:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057269132
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057291054

When testing speed over a cable connection I'd always make sure to disable wifi on my computer just in case the computer does something stupid. If the speed does vary between 60Mbps and 1Mbps even in that situation then I'd contact UPC.

If you post your connection stats here someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to give some insight (probably better posted in the Broadband forum).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Which UPC router/modem are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chymes

I'm using the TC7200 router. I was just wondering if all UPC modems on default come with the 5 ghz? If so I'm thinking of purchasing a Wireless N USB Adapter to plug into the computer to incresae speeds to use 5ghz. Can i ask if this also increases the range and allows me to hotspot a second wifi network?

Also, UPC recommends the Netgear one, does anyone have any experience with it? Or is the TRENDNet one better??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm on it, and within sight of router get 35-40 mps wireless.

A couple plasterboard walls sees that come down to about 25-28. Plenty fast for my needs.

Advertisement