Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tombolo on Banna Strand?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Really quick question for ye. Years ago we would go to Banna and just walk for hours along the strand; there was an island which was connected to the beach by a spit of sand while the tide was out, but if you didn't watch the tide you could get "stranded" (unlikely, though I remember a very permanent looking sandbar would by comparison catch tourists off-guard constantly).

I never questioned it at the time, but what is this island/bluff/landmark called, if anything? I never heard anyone refer to it by name, but I assume it must be called something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Surrealean wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Really quick question for ye. Years ago we would go to Banna and just walk for hours along the strand; there was an island which was connected to the beach by a spit of sand while the tide was out, but if you didn't watch the tide you could get "stranded" (unlikely, though I remember a very permanent looking sandbar would by comparison catch tourists off-guard constantly).

I never questioned it at the time, but what is this island/bluff/landmark called, if anything? I never heard anyone refer to it by name, but I assume it must be called something.

That's black rock. It's about half way between banna and ballyheigue

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

You're right too, I think. I saw it on google image search first when the tide was especially high and I thought "No, it must not be it", but you're quite right. It's funny though, I seem to remember it having a lot more grass, being higher up etc. Presumably my memory is either off or the storms of more recent years have simply eroded that away somewhat.

Surrealean wrote: »
    You're right too, I think. I saw it on google image search first when the tide was especially high and I thought "No, it must not be it", but you're quite right. It's funny though, I seem to remember it having a lot more grass, being higher up etc. Presumably my memory is either off or the storms of more recent years have simply eroded that away somewhat.

No your right, it's quite high and grassier than the sattelite map looks. There's very little erosion there, on low tide the seaward side is very rocky so the island stays intact

I'll be out there in a few weeks, I'll try to get a few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

We as Tralee youngsters went to Ballyheigue every time the sun came out. Taking a walk to the Black rock was like heading to Siberia as it seemed so far away when you were small. I haven't done the full walk to it in over 20 years - must do it again sometime for old times sake!

• Advertisement
Advertisement