Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - can't return an €18 item

Options
  • 16-09-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I couldn't hardwire my new UPC router, and so after trying a few of my own cables, I've panicked and bought a €17.99 CAT5 cable from HM just to find out it didn't work either and that it basically is the router's fault (UPC replaced it on the next day). I tried the cable exactly once and then carefully put it back in its box.

So as the issue with router has been resolved I brought the cable back to HM (as new, bar the round transparent sticker), but they told me they won't accept it back as the package has been opened. Any other shop just put a new round sticker on the box flap (or not even!) and get on with it, but not Harvey Norman. Looks like they would rather lose a customer than refund a poxy €17.99 for something I don't need.

Is it worth trying any other avenues with this return or just forget about it? I have four more days to be within their 14 days return policy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

HN's 14 day policy is dependent on the item being unopened and in saleable condition. It's a pretty standard condition in common with most stores that provide a change of mind returns policy.
    We reserve the right to refuse a return under this policy, if the goods are not in a re-saleable, as sold condition. As sold condition means that the goods are unopened, are in original packaging with all documentation, and the item and it’s packaging are undamaged and unused.
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/customer-services/returns-policy.html#instore

Since you opened the package you have no entitlement under the return policy, and the since the cable is not defective you've no other right of return either.

That round sticker is a seal applied by the manufacturer, it's not as if HN have a stash hidden in drawer. Would you buy something that was so obviously tampered with?
    My advice is forget about it, it's only €17.99 which you were willing to spend on something you didn't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

slimjimmc wrote: »
    My advice is forget about it, it's only €17.99 which you were willing to spend on something you didn't need.

Not a skin off my nose. I suppose I'm just used to the majority of the Irish retailers being a lot more courteous and flexible to their customers. Especially large ones.
    sugarman wrote: »
    No comeback unfortunately, was opened and used. Cant resell it.

It's not like I'm returning a condom. It's a freaking CAT5. I didn't even unwind it.
    sugarman wrote: »
    For future reference, Dealz sell Belkin cables for €1.49 btw;)

Sure, rub it in, bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There is nothing wrong with the item you purchased from HN so they do not have to offer any refund/replacement to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Miaireland wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the item you purchased from HN so they do not have to offer any refund/replacement to you.

Thanks. I already figured they don't have to, but they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You paid that much for a cat5 cable?? Hope it was a whole reel for that price....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry OP, but I dont care how careful you were, I don't want to buy a cable that has been used by anyone other than the QC in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Sorry OP, but I dont care how careful you were, I don't want to buy a cable that has been used by anyone other than the QC in the factory.

I agree.

Advertisement