Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap classic car club membership

Options
  • 16-09-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Please help. I need to insure a classic car (with first Ireland) so that I can export the car.-the insurance will be cancelled as soon as it arrives at it's destination but my problem is that insurance co. are insisting on a classic car membership no. I am not currently a member of any, can anyone suggest a v cheap club that I can quickly become a member of, just to get insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't think Carole Nash require a club membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nor do Axa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

nor do campion's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I could be wrong here, but I thought that if you were exporting a car they had to have export plates, provided by the AA, which cover temporary insurance.
    Or maybe that is for new cars, I don't know exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Welcome to boards, N_u_t_i_e :)

I've only ever heard of First Ireland demanding membership of a classic car club. For me they provided by far the best deal even taking into account the membership fee for the Porsche club Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

swarlb wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but I thought that if you were exporting a car they had to have export plates, provided by the AA, which cover temporary insurance.
    Or maybe that is for new cars, I don't know exactly.

wha?? The AA are a recovery firm, they surely have no authority to provide reg nos / number plates...

corktina wrote: »
    wha?? The AA are a recovery firm, they surely have no authority to provide reg nos / number plates...

As the person once said..."you learn something new everyday"

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/information-note-zz-system-temporary-registration.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Are you sure you need insurance ?

Car can be transported to docks by insured delivery vehicle ,

Who told you it needs to be insured , unless you intend driving it ?

Also insurance cover won't cover export transport .

Please clarify ? And see can we help .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 N_u_t_i_e

hey everybody thanks for the help. The car is registered in ireland (although was never driven here) and we want to ship it back to france. So we need to insure it & tax it to drive it to the ferry. Unfortunately for one reason or another the only insurance company that will insure us (with breakdown assistance in france) is first ireland, but the only problem is I need to provide a club membership no to take out this insurance. I will only be insuring the car for 10days-fingers crossed it makes the journey without problems, so I want to find the cheapest club to become a member quickly......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

So youre just using the club to get cheap insurance....sorry, it needed saying....:o

• Advertisement

So youre just using the club to get cheap insurance....sorry, it needed saying....:o

A lot of people do, and I'd say the clubs are happy to accept their subs.

As do a lot of others

• Registered Users Posts: 3 N_u_t_i_e

yes max, I am just using the club to get cheap insurance. as the car will be sold, I have no intentions of using the club for anything else.

Try Eircooled. We'll put the €25 in somebody's belly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Shamrock Car & Machinery Club is €30 a year membership, and you get a member number and receipt by post as far as I know

Typical Irish mentality...abuse it until its gone ,then pi$$ and moan.........:rolleyes:

Typical Irish mentality...abuse it until its gone ,then pi$$ and moan.........:rolleyes:

The whole point of joining a classic car club is for the benefits said membership offers. Whether that's inclusion on show stand, club meets, technical forum access, discounted insurance, doesn't really matter. Some people join and you never hear from them or see them until the renewal comes in, and that's OK IMHO.

TBH, I don't know why insurers ask for this, as the clubs can't be asked to carry out some kind of vetting process on their behalf, fair enough if it's a special deal negotiated by a specific club, but in general? I don't know..

Well IMO..if you join something its because you have a passion for your chosen hobby and like spending time with other like minded people and not because youre trying to get something free/cheap.......any discounts etc should be secoundary...just me i suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I phoned a brokers in the midlands recently for a classic quote, after he gave me the quote he told me it included membership to some club or other, it was part and parcel of the quote.
    It was a cheap quote too, but a crap policy..no fire and theft included nor offered.

Well IMO..if you join something its because you have a passion for your chosen hobby and like spending time with other like minded people and not because youre trying to get something free/cheap.......any discounts etc should be secoundary...just me i suppose..

This particular instance has nothing to do with this. The man simply needs to get his car insured in order to drive it to wherever it needs to go. One of the conditions of the insurance is that he needs to be a member of a classic car club.
    It's as simple as that.

• Advertisement

I joined the Porsche 924 club purely for the tech forum access, with no intention of ever travelling over to the UK to meet any of them. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.
    In this case the insurer is requesting club membership, so the op has asked which club would be happy to accept his sub. Whether they get involved or not is completely up to them.

I get what you're saying, but I think there's always some allowance for silent club members that contribute nothing but their subs for whatever reason.

hi5 wrote: »
    I phoned a brokers in the midlands recently for a classic quote, after he gave me the quote he told me it included membership to some club or other, it was part and parcel of the quote.
    It was a cheap quote too, but a crap policy..no fire and theft included nor offered.
    Campion's?
    Think they make you join IVETA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can OP not just ring their existing insurer and get their daily driver insurance transferred over for the day ?

I had to do it lately (123.ie) and it cost me €10 for 30 days.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MsEdel

Thank you so much for the info, my boyfriend found their Facebook Page and rang the number. They will email him an application form. It is 30 euro. He was also told by FBD Insurance to insure his Audi 01 with classic car insurance he needs to be part of a Classic Car Club.

Advertisement