Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Bank Account / Overdraft

Options
  • 16-09-2014 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi. I want to close my Bank of Ireland current account. I'm down €450 into my overdraft. I assume that BOI won't let me close it when I owe them money, but will they let me 'freeze' it in any way? For example, by only letting me lodge money into it in order to clear the debt. I have a separate joint account with my girlfriend that I use for bills, etc. So at this moment in time I don't need my own account. The bloody thing is only costing me money in charges, and I can't afford it. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Right Turn Clyde,

Thanks for your post and very sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

As you mention, you will not be able to close the account yet until your overdraft is cleared. In this case, we would recommend that you speak with an advisor in your branch who can help you with this and they can also advise you on closing your account once your overdraft is cleared. 

Please find the contact details for your branch here

Please let us know if you need help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement