Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 5 Captain poll

• 16-09-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭

Not an easy one this week, with Chelsea away to Man City, and Rooney to play in who-knows-what formation. But Costa and Rooney are still likely to be the top two.

Poll to follow

Who's your GW 5 captain? 270 votes

Costa (mci)
    0%
    Rooney (lei)
    20%
    Dont be at yourselfSkySterBloodBathSooner or LaterBalmed OutCunning AliasGLaDOSRoonboxmailburnerjohnny_adidastom_kleonardsThe CavemanShaneUpetethebrickyouknowwhoInvincibleJamBurgreensausageTony_Montana 56 votes
    Di Maria (lei)
    31%
    growlerPWEIkeano_afcbohsmancullenswoodrock whoreMacker1RikandzarquonshreddedloopsFizman[Deleted User]force elevenMr. IncognitoShanotheslayerNabyLadisthemancallaway92jaybe1Axwellharpstilidie 84 votes
    Adebayor (WBA)
    17%
    mada999AdMMMNichololasDades[Deleted User]billymitchell00sullyNalzmiller82jimmyjim11festesiocurry-muffrossitwho_rujkelly85IzyRichard571ciantheodInspector CoptoorPirateShampoo 48 votes
    Falcao (lei)
    8%
    T-b0n3[Deleted User]bof[Deleted User]Sideshow MarkAdpRoFlecktarnG1032Scorpion StingIused2likebustsDanger781OneColdHanditsnotmyfaultKarma25LightningBlueTipsy McSwaggerWalter WhiteGBXIextra gravySwiper the fox 24 votes
    Sigurdsson (SOT)
    4%
    Delboy5Menasgooseman3AwayWithFaries8-10mmouseweekaizermoeblogsthunderdogDietsquirtMichael D Not Higgins 11 votes
    Welbeck (avl)
    3%
    franmanBinkaGreen&RedMarkxThe GibzillaD_turboGetWithItstonemanicLadeeenqwabercd 10 votes
    Sterling (whu)
    0%
    bo-scoFinical 2 votes
    Aguero (CHE)
    3%
    menoscemogarraChesty08UpTheSlashersBigtoe107cizolinShedite27Liam2012Fant11Rdwrer 10 votes
    Ramsey (avl)
    5%
    muletideAce2007dahatSteven81NinjaTruncsMR NINEcoronaextramanual_manCypher_soundsLostArtgstack166Bleating LambmellowsRosco79 14 votes
    Other
    4%
    sionnachronan.hbig_showOfficer GigglesrichieffffjmaPopTartsThe GramwilliewallaceTangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga BungoGaillimh1976 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Adebayor (WBA)
    Di Maria. Had him vice captain last week so hopefully it's more of the same again, just with added points this time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Falcao....if I decide bringing him at a 4 point hit for Rooney is worthwhile.
    Sanchez if not.
    Someone else if I decide otherwise.

Ps. There aren't many options in this thread.
    You have failed OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rooney (lei)
    Would not take a hit to swap Rooney for Falcao, Rooney is captain and guaranteed to start

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Falcao (lei)
    I'm going Adebayor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Rooney (lei)
    CSF wrote: »
    Ps. There aren't many options in this thread.
    You have failed OP.

Ten's plenty. No need to cater to the Huddlestone-captaining weirdoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Rooney (lei)
    Took a 4 point hit to draft in Costa and Schneiderlin for Hazard and Jelavic. Made Costa captain. Bit of a risky strategy with him to play CL game tomorrow. If he doesn't make the City game at the weekend, Rooney is my backup option.

Ten's plenty. No need to cater to the Huddlestone-captaining weirdoes.

Sanchez/Fabregas etc would have their suitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Rooney (lei)
    Sanchez/Fabregas etc would have their suitors

True, but ten should still be enough to see who significant numbers are captaining. They're the top ten from FFS, btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

Rooney (lei)
    Costa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Rooney (lei)
    Going say the obvious here, but it's between Costa and Rooney. Just gonna have to decide which one. Will probably give it to Costa, given that he's the in form player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Falcao (lei)
    Falcao....if I decide bringing him at a 4 point hit for Rooney is worthwhile.
    Sanchez if not.
    Someone else if I decide otherwise.

I presume you mean Villa's central mid, and not the Arsenal attacker?!

Seriously though, Villa have conceeded 1 goal this season (I know you're a Villa fan, so of course you know this!), not sure captaining an Arsenal player would be the wisest move.

I presume you mean Villa's central mid, and not the Arsenal attacker?!

Seriously though, Villa have conceeded 1 goal this season (I know you're a Villa fan, so of course you know this!), not sure captaining an Arsenal player would be the wisest move.
    Because I see Arsenal being the exact sort of team that Villa struggle against.

I'll be at the game aswell, and obviously I won't be wanting any Arsenal goals all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Falcao (lei)
    Like Busts I'm going with Ade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Welbeck (avl)
    I have a very simple policy: either a forward or midfielder playing at home. No exceptions.

On that basis it's between Sig and Naismith for me, so fairly easy to go with Sig. Of the players I don't have, Adebayor looks the player I'd fear this week.

Rooney (lei)
    GetWithIt wrote: »
    I have a very simple policy: either a forward or midfielder playing at home. No exceptions.

On that basis it's between Sig and Naismith for me, so fairly easy to go with Sig. Of the players I don't have, Adebayor looks the player I'd fear this week.

The problem I have with Adebayor is that he's too inconsistent to captain. One week he could get you near 20 points against a poor team, the next week he'll struggle to get the full 2 for sixty minutes!

Falcao (lei)
    GetWithIt wrote: »

So if, hypothetically, the only home player you had was Naismith, and he was home to Man City, and you had Costa playing away to QPR, you'd captain Naismith?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

At the moment I'm going for Naismith as most of my other midfielders/fwds have tough games. Reckon Everton will hammer some team soon, hopefully that's Palace on Sunday.
    Only fear is that they are playing in Europa League on Thursday night so will see how that goes first before I decide. Rooney is VC for now.

Would like to captain Rooney too but is there not a big danger van Gaal will play both Falcao and RVP pushing Rooney back?

Falcao (lei)
    Would like to captain Rooney too but is there not a big danger van Gaal will play both Falcao and RVP pushing Rooney back?

That's the problem I have with United for this week, and is why I'm trying to resist holding off wildcarding this week. It's still a bit uncertain how they will line up. Their attacking play seemed to work well against QPR, but surely Falcao will come in. And who will make way in that case? Seems to me like it would have to be one of Rooney, RVP or Mata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Di Maria (lei)

My thinking (hoping) is Falcao has another week on the bench and starts at home to West Ham the week after, thus keeping Mata in for another week.

Pure guess work on my behalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If in doubt, Saurez Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

No clear candidate this week for me... Have Aguero and Costa up against each other... Arsenal looking patchy so not sure to take a punt on Ramsey or Welbeck. Sterling v West Ham?.. In short in haven't a clue as of yet

My thinking (hoping) is Falcao has another week on the bench and starts at home to West Ham the week after, thus keeping Mata in for another week.

Pure guess work on my behalf

I think Falcao starts this week and that puts everything up in the air. Southampton are too good to captain Gylfi, Liverpool have been poor 2 games a row and that makes me nervous of Sterling.

Costa I don't feel confident enough about yet to captain away to Chelsea. With Chelsea and City's respective starts Jose would be perfectly happy with a 0-0 away draw right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Di Maria (lei)
    I think Falcao starts this week and that puts everything up in the air. Southampton are too good to captain Gylfi, Liverpool have been poor 2 games a row and that makes me nervous of Sterling.

Costa I don't feel confident enough about yet to captain away to Chelsea. With Chelsea and City's respective starts Jose would be perfectly happy with a 0-0 away draw right?

Good call, Jose will play with an ultra defensive setup. Falcao could indeed start in lieu of RVP who has been poor this season.

Sterling is the only shining light in that Liverpool team at the moment so i don't expect him to be dropped again anytime soon but i can see a mass Sterling to ADM exodus next week if sterling has another 2 pointer and ADM cleans up again. I certainly wouldn't captain Sterling right now.

I'd have went along with the RVP option until they kept him on instead of taking him off for Falcao, leads me to believe LVG does see a team with them all in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Di Maria (lei)
    I'd have went along with the RVP option until they kept him on instead of taking him off for Falcao, leads me to believe LVG does see a team with them all in it.

I think it was an experiment by LVG to see how they link up with rooney dropping deep. Whether it's a long term plan remains to be seen

Rooney (lei)

Even when ultra defensive though, Chelsea always nick a chance.

Pipjam wrote: »
    Even when ultra defensive though, Chelsea always nick a chance.

But not always a goal. Arsenal away last season. Man United away last season, Atletico away last season, Everton away last season, didn't manage any goals. Only the one against City away too.

All down to how Mourinho sets up in such games. Of course Chelsea are a better team this season, that's unquestionable. But I'm not sure I fancy my captain to be playing in a game like that. I want one where attacking chances are at a premium and my guy will be involved in most of them.

• Advertisement

Rooney (lei)
    But not always a goal. Arsenal away last season. Man United away last season, Atletico away last season, Everton away last season, didn't manage any goals. Only the one against City away too.

All down to how Mourinho sets up in such games. Of course Chelsea are a better team this season, that's unquestionable. But I'm not sure I fancy my captain to be playing in a game like that. I want one where attacking chances are at a premium and my guy will be involved in most of them.

Last season against Arsenal I remember them having good chances, although few, such as Lampard hitting the crossbar. I didn't see the United or Atletico games.

Against United I do know they started with Schurrle up front so not even a recognised striker.

Last season they really took the game to City who were lucky it was only one nil.

Last season against Arsenal I remember them having good chances, although few, such as Lampard hitting the crossbar. I didn't see the United or Atletico games.

Against United I do know they started with Schurrle up front so not even a recognised striker.

Last season they really took the game to City who were lucky it was only one nil.

You're not making a very compelling case there nonetheless. Costa isn't Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Tricky one this week.. No clear candidate within my team given Chelsea play City am arsenal look unconvincing and I have no Utd players.. Have done well with Captain choices so far.. Probably will opt for Costa again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Falcao (lei)

He's doing a dam fine impression of Suarez so far, 7 league goals 4 games, i dont think the run will continue but he is the default captain choice for now. In saying that i will probably go with Ade this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I don't have Adebayor but I think he's the best pick this week. Not sure who to go for out of Siggurdsson, Naismith, Aguero and Costa.

I always take a look at the anytime goal scoring odds when in doubt and Costa is 7/5. Naismith, Rooney and Aguero are around 6/5. Adebayor is one of the few who's odds on this week to score so it's a very tough call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

anyone thinking lukaku........can't believe I'm even considering signing let alone captaining him 😭

• Advertisement

Rooney (lei)

Maybe I'm not but I'm still happy enough to go with Costa over my other strikers Aguero and Rooney.

As for the Suarez comment, Suarez didn't start his PL career with 7 goals in 4 games!

Maybe I'm not but I'm still happy enough to go with Costa over my other strikers Aguero and Rooney.

As for the Suarez comment, Suarez didn't start his PL career with 7 goals in 4 games!

No, he didn't, but he still reached a level that will be almost impossible to emulate until/if Ronaldo returns

Rooney (lei)
    No, he didn't, but he still reached a level that will be almost impossible to emulate until/if Ronaldo returns

In his first season and a half in the PL Suarez had fifteen goals in 44 games. Even in 2012-13, he would not have been seen as essential in FF until the latter half of the season.

Nobody would have predicted then how good he'd become so the same could be said for other players.

For example, I'd agree with other posters like Lemlin that have said Aguero has the potential to be better than Suarez if he can stay fit.

Before Ronaldo by the way, there was Henry and after him there was the postman RVP.

In his first season and a half in the PL Suarez had fifteen goals in 44 games. Even in 2012-13, he would not have been seen as essential in FF until the latter half of the season.

Nobody would have predicted then how good he'd become so the same could be said for other players.

For example, I'd agree with other posters like Lemlin that have said Aguero has the potential to be better than Suarez if he can stay fit.

Before Ronaldo by the way, there was Henry and after him there was the postman RVP.
    You're having a whole new conversation here now, a year and a half from now has no bearing on GW5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Rooney (lei)
    I think it's got to be Costa. His positioning is so good I'm sure he'll nick one. That's all I ask of my captain!

• Advertisement

Rooney (lei)
    You're having a whole new conversation here now, a year and a half from now has no bearing on GW5

Let's go over the debate:

- you said Costa was no Suarez.
    - I retorted that Costa has a better record than Suarez in his first 4 games.
    - you retorted that Suarez's stats will be hard to ever match.
    - I retorted that people would not have expected that from Suarez when he initially started in the PL and that a player like Aguero has the potential to be better and that Suarez/Ronaldo are also not the only two essential players in the history of this game.

I'm not sure where you're losing the conversation? I said nothing about a year and a half away.

Let's go over the debate:

- you said Costa was no Suarez.
    - I retorted that Costa has a better record than Suarez in his first 4 games.
    - you retorted that Suarez's stats will be hard to ever match.
    - I retorted that people would not have expected that from Suarez when he initially started in the PL and that a player like Aguero has the potential to be better and that Suarez/Ronaldo are also not the only two essential players in the history of this game.

I'm not sure where you're losing the conversation? I said nothing about a year and a half away.

You're going way away from the topic. What Suarez did in his first year and a half is irrelevant when I'm talking about Suarez at his best when he was a must captain every week. Potential is irrelevant to the Gameweek 5 captain discussion and to suggest that Costa has gone into captain by default mode in the same way that Suarez did is all we are talking about here.

If Costa after 20 games has shown that same consistency then fine, but how can we call him that when we haven't even seen him for Chelsea in a game against another top 4 team?

Rooney (lei)
    You're going way away from the topic. What Suarez did in his first year and a half is irrelevant when I'm talking about Suarez at his best when he was a must captain every week. Potential is irrelevant to the Gameweek 5 captain discussion and to suggest that Costa has gone into captain by default mode in the same way that Suarez did is all we are talking about here.

If Costa after 20 games has shown that same consistency then fine, but how can we call him that when we haven't even seen him for Chelsea in a game against another top 4 team?

All we have to rate Costa on is four games. Four games where he has returned seven goals. That form makes him a default captain choice for me.

Re game against a top 4 team, no we haven't but we've seen him score twice away to the team that finished 5th and had the 3rd best defence in the League last year for both goals conceded and clean sheets.

All we have to rate Costa on is four games. Four games where he has returned seven goals. That form makes him a default captain choice for me.

Re game against a top 4 team, no we haven't but we've seen him score twice away to the team that finished 5th and had the 3rd best defence in the League last year for both goals conceded and clean sheets.

The fact that we've only seen him in 4 games in the Premiership is exactly the point. His 5 goals in the last 2 games is mighty impressive but to be talking in the same conversation as Suarez where you'd even captain him in the unfavourable fixtures he needs to a) continue on as he has started b) do it in those fixtures frequently c) add some assists to his tally, he won't be able to score every week

I'm not suggesting he won't be very successful but he still has some way to go before entering Suarez 13/14 territory.

Rooney (lei)
    The fact that we've only seen him in 4 games in the Premiership is exactly the point. His 5 goals in the last 2 games is mighty impressive but to be talking in the same conversation as Suarez where you'd even captain him in the unfavourable fixtures he needs to a) continue on as he has started b) do it in those fixtures frequently c) add some assists to his tally, he won't be able to score every week

I'm not suggesting he won't be very successful but he still has some way to go before entering Suarez 13/14 territory.

In fairness though you're not comparing like for like. You're comparing the stats of one player after 3 years in the League to a player who has played 4 games.

Your initial point was "Costa is no Suarez". You said nothing about Costa is no Suarez "in his pomp" or "from last season".

Of course he won't be able to score every week, no player can do that. Even Suarez didn't score sometimes.

The fact is it appears he'll score most weeks, even against the best teams, and that's why he is leading the FFS captaincy poll.

To be honest this is turning into a fairly pointless debate. We'll review it after those 20 games or so but this week I'm happy to go for the in form player playing for the best team in the league, as are many others.

In fairness though you're not comparing like for like. You're comparing the stats of one player after 3 years in the League to a player who has played 4 games.

Your initial point was "Costa is no Suarez". You said nothing about Costa is no Suarez "in his pomp" or "from last season"..

In a thread about whether to follow the Suarez formula of captain regardless of opponent. You are fast becoming the king of pedantic, pointless arguments on here.

Rooney (lei)
    In a thread about whether to follow the Suarez formula of captain regardless of opponent. You are fast becoming the king of pedantic, pointless arguments on here.

This thread is about the GW5 captain, not Costa vs Suarez. Only one poster had mentioned Suarez before you did.

You introduced the Costa vs Suarez argument to it. I had merely stated that Chelsea always nick a chance.

I then pointed out that if you were referring to just Suarez's performances from last season you should have stated that initially.

This thread is about the GW5 captain, not Costa vs Suarez. You introduced the Costa vs Suarez argument to it. I had merely stated that Chelsea always nick a chance.

I then pointed out that if you were referring to just Suarez's performances from last season you should have stated that initially.

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

getting in Lamela and captaining him, if nothing happens to him tonight.

roll the dice!!!

nah, I reckon of all the weeks to take a slightly unorthodox option, it's this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Im thinking Naismith lads, oh. oh.....or Mata....oh , oh

• Advertisement
Advertisement