Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding hops

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    A quick question, I'm doing my first malt extract shortly. The recipe I'm following says adding the hops at various stages of the boil. Are the hops to be removed after the boil or are they to be left in for the rest of the fermentation process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

add them in at the x min of the boil and remove when cooling starts. you can dry hop but that is when main fermet is done. usually after 10 -14 days. i'd usually leave it alone for 14 days then dry hop for 3 days and bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

If you bag your hops when you put them into the boil, you can extract them easily.

But yes, they should not be making it into the fermentation vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dukeellington

I wouldn't worry about letting the hopping slip into the fermentation bucket at all.

If the hops have been in the entire boil there is no essential oils left so they'll just settle out with the rest of the trub.

If they were added later in the boil there will be oils left however you won't be dry hopping anything as during that early stage of fermenting the bubbling will take away any affect of dry hopping (which is why that should be done in a secondary late in the process).

So for what my opinion is worth there's nothing to worry about from letting some or all your hops flow into the fermentation bucket!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

Speaking of hops.
    I found a really cheap and good way to get hop bags.
    In lidl they sell these white netted cloths. 5 for a euro i think.
    These netted cloths are two cloths sewn together at both ends.
    Just cut the top off one end and boom, cheap muslin bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Which aisle? bathroom products?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

groom wrote: »
    Which aisle? bathroom products?

And whats their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely you put them in loose for the boil and strain the wort into the fermentor to remove them? bags only really necessary for dry-hopping (I say this with no experience, planning first extract brew soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely you put them in loose for the boil and strain the wort into the fermentor to remove them?
    That depends on your equipment. Whole hops can collect around a kettle element and cause it to overheat.

I'll try to find the name the next time im in lidl!
    Theyre on the aisle with cleaning products i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

neoanto wrote: »
    Speaking of hops.
    I found a really cheap and good way to get hop bags.
    In lidl they sell these white netted cloths. 5 for a euro i think.
    These netted cloths are two cloths sewn together at both ends.
    Just cut the top off one end and boom, cheap muslin bag.

Muslin bags rot though, and they are too porous for pellet hops.

Hop bags are not that expensive though. Get Nylon ones with a draw string, and get really big ones (to aid in circulation).

If you want to go super cheap, you could get a huge sheet of voile and make your own, or clip them sealed with whatever comes handy (elastic band, food storage bag clips), you will want to use decent sized cuts to make bags (think at least 2' x 2'), or stitch them together yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

They are called aquapur knitted dishcloths and are in the section with the bin bags. I didn't Get them though as the holes look too big and pellets would surely just seep through them

Adamski thats the name of them yea.
    I was using them for whole leaf hops and theyre great.
    the small seeds will go through though, but i strain my wort as it goes into the fermenter.

Advertisement