Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a CFL bulb die like a tunsten bulb?

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭

I have this Solus CFL 11w bulb in the bathroom for a few years, it stopped working a few days ago so I took it out and put it back in again, it now works intermittently ...

9510406d5cce5ed322e1a6e06adef03b8e297921.JPG

It's a BC (bayonet) fitting as in the photo and the springs in the ceiling light fitting seem to be fine, I can feel the right amount of resistance when shoving the bulb back in. However when I remount it and test it, it only lights half the time. I notice a darkening in two of the glass tubes near the base and am wondering if this means it's reached it's end of life?

I don't mind changing the bulb but I'm used to bulbs giving up totally instead of a halfway house of flickering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it sounds like it is on the way out. they can take a while to get there and do not necessarily behave like an old fashioned lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Stoner wrote: »
    it sounds like it is on the way out. they can take a while to get there and do not necessarily behave like an old fashioned lamp.

Thanks, it looks like as you say it's in terminal decline. I put in a new one which has stayed on 100% so the old one was on it's last legs.

Advertisement