Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemist only sells on prescription??

Options
  • 16-09-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Recently tried to get some Solphadine in a local Chemist shop. Was informed that he only sells "on prescription". I am not aware that Solphadine is a "Prescribed" drug. Has a Chemist the right to make this stand .?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Yes it is prescription only.

Edit: its down to each pharmacy to dispense it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Autonomous wrote: »
    Yes it is prescription only.

No it's not. It needs to be sold under supervision of a pharmacist. Must have been a misunderstanding

Edit: A pharmacist can refuse to supply if they believe it's being used incorrectly or abused etc.

duffman13 wrote: »
    No it's not. It needs to be sold under supervision of a pharmacist. Must have been a misunderstanding

Edit: A pharmacist can refuse to supply if they believe it's being used incorrectly or abused etc.

I stand corrected, forgot its not fully under postscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Does this mean that the Chemist is acting outside the law by limiting sales to "Prescription only"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

mountai wrote: »
    Does this mean that the Chemist is acting outside the law by limiting sales to "Prescription only"?

Absolutely not!

The pharmacist is under absolutely no obligation to sell anything, ever.
    In fact, if s/he doesn't believe that it is the best thing for you, they are obliged not to sell it.

The reaction when somebody asks for Solpadeine ("Solphadine" doesn't exist, by the way) will depend on what the person says they want it for etc.
    Virtually everybody will be reminded, though, that it is only suitable for short-term or occasional use unless under the care of a doctor. Therefore, sometimes a person would be told that the pharmacist is unwilling to sell it to that person unless they produce a prescription.

PS: @ Autonomous: Why did you answer at all, since you plainly don't know what you're talking about?

• Advertisement

When I asked for this Solpadeine (Thanks for the correction) , the Chemist stated from the outset that he only sells it on Prescription. He did not ask me why I required it. As I"m in my mid 60s with a reasonable appearance , I thought it strange that he would refuse me. Does this mean that Chemists have a right to deem any drug to be "Controlled" so to speak,and if so, will they eventually be in a position to put Asprin on Prescription should they desire to?. Smacks of another Greedy practice to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I'm not sure where this thread belongs but it doesn't belong here, my best guess is consumer issues so that is where it is going...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go to a different chemist.

Chemists don't issue prescriptions so I've no idea where you're getting "greedy" from. Zero benefit to them financially, in fact it reduces sales.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps the Chemist took it upon themselves to bring in this restriction based on this news story?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/health/ban-sale-of-solpadeine-over-counter-pharmacist-26366552.html

At the end of the day they can decide to restrict it or not, purely up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When I asked for this Solpadeine (Thanks for the correction) , the Chemist stated from the outset that he only sells it on Prescription. He did not ask me why I required it. As I"m in my mid 60s with a reasonable appearance , I thought it strange that he would refuse me. Does this mean that Chemists have a right to deem any drug to be "Controlled" so to speak,and if so, will they eventually be in a position to put Asprin on Prescription should they desire to?. Smacks of another Greedy practice to me!!

Are you aware of what is in solpadeine that makes it an effective pain killer? It has codeine, which is pretty much prescription only in pretty much every country in the world. It's a controlled substance as it's opium based. Meaning it's highly addictive and more people each year are presenting themselves for rehab with codeine being their only addiction. To reduce codeine dependence chemist have to keep codeine products behind the counter and ask everyone a series of questions to spot addiction.

The fact you only wanted solpadeine from the chemist could have suggested an addiction. There is plenty of effective non addictive pain killers. It doesn't matter your age or appearance, an addict can be anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

hfallada wrote: »
    Are you aware of what is in solpadeine that makes it an effective pain killer? It has codeine, which is pretty much prescription only in pretty much every country in the world. It's a controlled substance as it's opium based. Meaning it's highly addictive and more people each year are presenting themselves for rehab with codeine being their only addiction. To reduce codeine dependence chemist have to keep codeine products behind the counter and ask everyone a series of questions to spot addiction.

The fact you only wanted solpadeine from the chemist could have suggested an addiction. There is plenty of effective non addictive pain killers. It doesn't matter your age or appearance, an addict can be anyone

The amount of codeine in a single tablet. Multiple PACKETS of codeine need to be taken to get an addictive buzz. If you take multiple packets it is the other ingredients in the tablets i.e. paracetemol that cause the problem not the codeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Has the Chemist got that right? Sure he or she has. Just like you have the right to vote with your feet and taking your business to the next Chemist who isn't such a prissy King Canute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

eh

A chemist can refuse to sell you a bottle of shampoo if they so wish. There is no law stating that you MUST be sold something.

Only illegal if they refuse to sell to you on grounds of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beano wrote: »
    The amount of codeine in a single tablet. Multiple PACKETS of codeine need to be taken to get an addictive buzz. If you take multiple packets it is the other ingredients in the tablets i.e. paracetemol that cause the problem not the codeine.

Its extractable, going in to the details here would not be advisable though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

MYOB wrote: »

And I'm sure there are easier ways to get an opioid buzz

MYOB wrote: »

But the point is that people were not going into chemists here to buy multiple packets just to get high. Most people dont have the knowledge or skills to extract the codeine from a Neurofen+.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was prescribed Solpadine at one point. I think it was when I injured myself. 3 tablets over about 24 hours had me buzzed off my head - it was as if I hadn't a care in the world.

'Housewives' are the main Solpadine abusers / addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Run this by me again. He refused to sell you something and you think he's being greedy? Surely the greedy thing to do is to ignore the risk to you and just take the cash?

PS: @ Autonomous: Why did you answer at all, since you plainly don't know what you're talking about?

You need to get some manners you jumped up <SNIP>

Victor wrote: »
    I was prescribed Solpadine at one point. I think it was when I injured myself. 3 tablets over about 24 hours had me buzzed off my head - it was as if I hadn't a care in the world.

3 solpadeine over 24 hours and you got a buzz? thats a tiny amount of codeine. an addict would be taking 20 times that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Victor wrote: »

Codeine does virtually nothing for me. I think I'm one of these people:
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/articles/2008/06/06/genetic-factors-affect-codeines-work-as-painkiller
    People with less CYP2D6 find little or no relief from codeine, because the liver does not convert enough into morphine. This happens in about 6 percent to 10 percent of Caucasians, 3 percent to 6 percent of Mexican-Americans, 2 percent to 5 percent of African-Americans and about 1 percent of Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@locum-motion & Autonomous - Please treat other posters with respect. No need for pointed comments or insults. If I see any more such comments, I will infract or ban.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I just went into my local chemist and asked did I have to jump through hoops to get solpadeine. Nope she said, 24 box for 7.99.

Ok, they did know me personally....

For those that are concerned ---- If I want to get a High , I"ll smoke some dope .!!! The whole point I"m trying to make is -- There is a list of controlled drugs that can only be sold on Prescription. These prescriptions make money for the Chemists , ergo , the more Drugs that are prescribed , the more money the Chemists make. Surely a Chemist cannot decide to place a drug into the "Controlled" category just on a whim???

The point is that the pharmacist is under no obligation to sell you any drug at all. It is possible that they said they were prescription only because they didnt want an argument about it. The simple solution is to vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

For those that are concerned ---- If I want to get a High , I"ll smoke some dope .!!! The whole point I"m trying to make is -- There is a list of controlled drugs that can only be sold on Prescription. These prescriptions make money for the Chemists , ergo , the more Drugs that are prescribed , the more money the Chemists make. Surely a Chemist cannot decide to place a drug into the "Controlled" category just on a whim???

A chemist doesn't get money from prescriptions, they get money from selling drugs. Some drugs require a prescription, so they can only sell when one is present but this is not them making money from a prescription, they are still making money from selling the drugs. Deciding to require a prescription for certain OTC drugs will not make them more money, it will make them less. Some customers will get the requested prescription but most will just go to another chemist, meaning the chemist misses out on sales. There is no possible way the chemists motives here could be greed as they can have zero financial gain for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Surely a Chemist cannot decide to place a drug into the "Controlled" category just on a whim???

No they cannot. The Health Products Regulatory Authority (formerly the Irish Medicines Board) strictly defines what is a prescription drug. The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland (PSI) issued guidelines on the sale of codeine based drugs.

A pharmacist has no financial gain by refusing to sell you a product. In fact, they are losing a potential sale by doing so. They are doing it because of ethical and professional guidelines under which they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Just go to a different chemist. It's an over the counter painkiller that is only sold if the chemist think it's suitable for the customer and he or she is not coming in every week for a pack of 24 (That would raise red flags. )

I'm a pharmacist. If you are taking solpadeine long term, you should see your doctor because there is an underlying cause. If I was suspicious of your reasoning for buying the medication. I would refuse the sale too. This has nothing to do with greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Run this by me again. He refused to sell you something and you think he's being greedy? Surely the greedy thing to do is to ignore the risk to you and just take the cash?

If you read the op's previous posts you will see that he has a serious chip on his shoulder regarding pharmacists so he will use any opportunity to have a pop!

how he could try to accuse the pharmacist as being greedy in this situation is baffling but not out of character!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement