Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What cables to install... while i have the chance

• 16-09-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

This is probably a question for the new home build forum or even the satellite forum, but i think from being on here a good while, most on here would have a fairly good idea of whats needed.

I am about to install a stove where the tv is currently in our sitting room, so the tv and all related tech is being moved to another corner of the room which means the cables have to be moved too. I now have an opportunity to install new cables as the electrician will be opening up the wall to put new power sockets in.

Here is what i currently have...

Samsung 40" tv
    Humax 1 TB sat box
    HTPC running xbmc receiving media over wifi from nas in attic
    wii
    xbox360

Cable wise i have 4 coax to back of tv... two for sat box from dish, one for aerial to tv and one return to distribution amp for rest of tvs in house (so they can see/control sat box as well)

I am thinking of moving htpc to attic (its noisy sometimes) and running 15 mtr bluerigger in wall rated hdmi cable back to tv (htpc remote to send via Cablesson - IR Injector (both amazon) to htpc),

Also am going to run two 15mtr CSL CAT 6 Ethernet Gigabit Lan network cables from main router to xbox and humax sat box.

While i have the wall opened up, is there anything else i should be adding cable wise to future proof myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Instead of running the HDMI cable run another CAT6. You can send the HDMI signal over CAT6 and it future proofs you against changes to the HDMI standard.

I put in 2 CAT6 points to all the TV points when we were building. Best decision I ever made.

If you're putting the HTPC in the it might be worth considering turning it into a dedicated media server.

I have a HP N40L Microserver which I'm using to host my media and satellite cards.

My library is in a mysql db on the server so the clients(laptops, tablets, tv boxes(ARCTIC MC001 in my case)) are all in sync. I can start watching on one device then pause/stop and pick it up seamlessly on another.
    It also means I have access to live TV and my recorded programs on all those devices too.

Also while the electrician is there put in more sockets. LOTS of sockets! I put in 2 doubles and it's not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I agree with Remouad especially on the sockets. Also, ask the electrician can they put in a conduit (plastic pipe) so then you may have flexibility to pull through wires in the future.

MAJJ wrote: »
    I agree with Remouad especially on the sockets. Also, ask the electrician can they put in a conduit (plastic pipe) so then you may have flexibility to pull through wires in the future.

Conduit is a brilliant idea if possible.

I was thinking a bit more and since you already have the 2 network ports reserved for the XBOX and STB I'd recommend putting in another 2 - 1 for a media client and 1 as a just in case).

Where is your router?
    would it be easier to go from the tv to attic and have all your network gear up there?

If you're putting the HTPC in the attic you'll need to run a connection from the router to there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Definitely go conduit and while the wall is down, see can you run one upstairs. I had to go out a vent and into the attic with cat 6. they will fail eventually. Put in the pipes speaker cables, cat 6 and get more plug points. Also get a recessed panel so you can get to some of this. That's what I would do. If you have, like all Irish builders do and have the tv jammed in some corner, move it to one end, more like a cinema. Tv's are just getting bigger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the tips...

All network gear - NAS/Wifi router/backups external drives are currently in attic so the HTPC will be sat next to those on the shelving when it goes up there - so happy days on that one.

Excellent idea on the conduit/ extra cat cables and extra sockets, never thought about that to be honest, will get that sorted with electrician.

I was going to use THIS (not with these exact connections) as the faceplate behind the tv, but instead im going to save money, keep it simple and just order one of THESE as it wont be seen behind the tv anyways.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of the room the tv can only go in this new corner which is a bit of a bummer, but we will be used to it in no time.

I know i could run the humax sat box and xbox via wifi as i do now, but i might as well connect them via cat cable as im trying to cut down on the amount of tech connecting via wifi.

Got the bluerigger hdmi cables in the post today, they are thick cables and look well built.

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    I was going to use THIS (not with these exact connections) as the faceplate behind the tv, but instead im going to save money, keep it simple and just order one of THESE as it wont be seen behind the tv anyways.
    If you're going to do it, do it right.
    The proper face plates are going to be more durable.

You can re-crimp CAT6 but I don't think you can put a new connection on a HDMI cable.
    I know i could run the humax sat box and xbox via wifi as i do now, but i might as well connect them via cat cable as im trying to cut down on the amount of tech connecting via wifi.

My basic rule is if the devices isn't mobile the connection shouldn't be either.
    Got the bluerigger hdmi cables in the post today, they are thick cables and look well built.

They are probably cool but if you can use the CAT6 cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Remouad wrote: »

I have taken that on board... Have ordered two extra cat 6 cables. Thanks remouad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Remouad wrote: »
    If you're going to do it, do it right.
    The proper face plates are going to be more durable.

You can re-crimp CAT6 but I don't think you can put a new connection on a HDMI cable.

My basic rule is if the devices isn't mobile the connection shouldn't be either.

You can actually put a new connection on an HDMI cable but it is a real pain. The wires are tiny and there are about 20 of them. I'm actually doing this myself at the moment. I have a conduit running from behind my receiver to where my projector will hang. I got 2 HDMI face plates and purchased a 15 m cable and snipped off the ends. Unfortunately the HDMI plates only support 1.4 and the cable I got was 2.0 so it didn't work out. I'll need to get a new cable or go the CAT route.

How are you terminating the CAT cables to HDMI?

jester77 wrote: »
    You can actually put a new connection on an HDMI cable but it is a real pain. The wires are tiny and there are about 20 of them. I'm actually doing this myself at the moment. I have a conduit running from behind my receiver to where my projector will hang. I got 2 HDMI face plates and purchased a 15 m cable and snipped off the ends. Unfortunately the HDMI plates only support 1.4 and the cable I got was 2.0 so it didn't work out. I'll need to get a new cable or go the CAT route.

How are you terminating the CAT cables to HDMI?

I've terminated mine with a standard RJ45 Module.

My plan is to use an adapter to convert the signal.
    Something like this or this

if you want to use faceplates something like this might do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

On a related issue to show you the horror. I hate exposed cables, bordering on a possible mental OCD issue. I am trying to bury in the ceiling my hdmi, network (for future use) and a power cable. I Cut a neat hole with a small circular drill it, get 1 meter in and what do I get a fecking cross beam, which I forgot to check for. Now have to cut around it, drill it out, then run the cables to the wall., somehow drop then down behind the plasterboard and patch it all back up. What a fecking mess. So Access, the original OP, you have a chance to avoid all these issues, lucky you....

• Advertisement
Advertisement