Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon lens compatibility question

• 16-09-2014 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

They do say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask:confused:

I currently have a Nikon D5300 with a 18-55 VRII Lens and now in the process of selecting my next lens(lenses) of a telephoto up to 200 or 300 and a 50mm,the problem i'm having is compatibility

The lens mount described in the Manual is F Mount with Auto focus mounts however when i search the web i don't see the reference to the lens mount on some lenses is there possibly another reference type or code besides the F mount reference that i should know ?

One other question too if i may- some of the telephotos do not have VR capability(big differenece in price with or without),i can obviously overcome this with a tripod but if going just handheld whats the max i could expect to get in terms of zoom or should i not even consider going to a 300m lens if it doesn't have VR

Thanks in advance hopefully

Clinton

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

All Nikon lenses will fit, but you need to look at ones with a motor built in (Nikon AF-S, Tamron USD and Sigma HSM).

For the 50mm you'll need the newer 1.8G, not the older 1.8D.

They say you should be able to hold a lens steady enough to eliminate shake at 1/focal length. So 1/300th of a second at 300mm. In theory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Thank you,wikipedia link is great

I'm sure you'll really like the 50mm BTW. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

All Nikon lenses will fit, but you need to look at ones with a motor built in (Nikon AF-S, Tamron USD and Sigma HSM).

actually that's not strictly true. There are a couple of early fisheyes that poke so far into the camera that they'll break the mirror if you try and use them on a body without mirror lockup.

Then there are the pre-AI lenses which won't mount on any body which has the little aperture lug (and doesn't have some mechanism to move it out of the way). They're mostly film and mid to top end digital bodies though so the 5300 I assume is ok.

• Advertisement

There's an exeption to every rule. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ànything in the DX lenses list is made specifically to be for the nikon NOT full frame (crop) camera like the D5300

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-SLR-Lenses

The 50mm is in the FX list, everything on that will fit also but not to its full potential.

Im sure others can explain better.

Advertisement