Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 & 6+ reviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Sounds like the 6+ is the one to get

"The smaller iPhone 6 feels like just the next iterative update to the iPhone, but the 6 Plus feels like something else entirely; with a few more software tweaks and some love from developers, it could really be my main computer. It’s as much iPad as iPhone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't understand where the reviews for both phones are contained within the same article. These are essentially 2 different phones, so need 2 separate reviews - similar to the way the HTC One M8 would have a different review to HTC One Mini 2 or the E8.

Also, the fawning over apple in the reviews is very annoying to read. We get it, Apple make nice stuff, but don't fall all over yourself telling us that. It's like there's a different standard in the way iphone reviews are written as opposed to all other mobile phones.

I want an iphone (for the first time), but the way people go on about it really irks me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How come the box is white for a black phone? Don't Apple usually colour code them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

After looking at the reviews I'm glad now that I have gone for the 6+. While the size will take time to get used it just seems like much more of an upgrade than 5 to 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Jofspring wrote: »
    After looking at the reviews I'm glad now that I have gone for the 6+. While the size will take time to get used it just seems like much more of an upgrade than 5 to 6.

From the reviews I think it is more like the 6 is an upgrade from the 5/5S and the 6 Plus is a new class of device altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't understand where the reviews for both phones are contained within the same article. These are essentially 2 different phones, so need 2 separate reviews - similar to the way the HTC One M8 would have a different review to HTC One Mini 2 or the E8.

The main differentiator between the two phones is size - same processor and features in both (apart from the image stabilization on the Plus). Significant differences between the likes of the HTC One and the One Mini 2 include size, processor, fewer features, different camera, targeted at different markets etc...

Can see your frustration but media are probably in a rush to get their reviews out and as the target audience is roughly the same for both phones they roll the two phones into the one article

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bob24 wrote: »
    From the reviews I think it is more like the 6 is an upgrade from the 5/5S and the 6 Plus is a new class of device altogether.

Thats the way I read it as well.

Having read some reviews the iPhone 6 gets a day and a half out of the battery. That would do me.

But the iPhone 6+ sounds amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

godtabh wrote: »
    Thats the way I read it as well.

Having read some reviews the iPhone 6 gets a day and a half out of the battery. That would do me.

But the iPhone 6+ sounds amazing.

Yes I would definitely like the almost tablet experience of the Plus (larger screen and longer battery life) ... but still not sure it would be practical to carry around (especially since I am interested in the activity track / fitness functionalities which basically require to keep it on you all the time if you want accurate data).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The reviews are really contradictory. One says it has the best camera ever put into a phone, another review says it's behind all the major competition. One review has battery life at amazing, another has it as barely adequate.

I find with reviews you need to find a site you trust and go with their reviews. As all reviews are objective, without this you'll struggle. I for one love the verge's work, so am happy to see they like both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 CorChil

I think I will get the iPhone 6, I want the best camera

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 CorChil

Does anyone know if the reviews cover how hot they get, my iPhone 5 got really hot and I felt I had to stop using it in case in melted at times

CorChil wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the reviews cover how hot they get, my iPhone 5 got really hot and I felt I had to stop using it in case in melted at times

One (not sure which) mentioned that the 6 did get hot while in use, but not the 6 plus, due to the bigger size allowing better thermal-something..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CorChil wrote: »
    I think I will get the iPhone 6, I want the best camera

Would that not be the 6 plus with image stabilisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Like a disturbance in the force, the Android community cry out in a collective butt hurt... too funny, without fail.

Anyone wantintg a really in depth review keep an eye out here:

http://www.anandtech.com/

For me whilst I like what Apple has done with the Plus, and yes the Plus is a new phone, the 6 is an upgraded iPhone. It's just too big for what I need.

Also my iPad is never too far, which is my go to portable big screen device.

I never watch movies on my iPhone, rarely watch youtube, that's what my ipad is for. If I want to watch anything like reviews I'll watch it on my 24 inch monitor.

I only ever watch TV or movies on my 50 inch plasma.

For me the 6 is the only one I was interested in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mad muffin wrote: »

For me whilst I like what Apple has done with the Plus, and yes the Plus is a new phone, the 6 is an upgraded iPhone. It's just too big for what I need.

Also my iPad is never too far, which is my go to portable big screen device.

I never watch movies on my iPhone, rarely watch youtube, that's what my ipad is for. If I want to watch anything like reviews I'll watch it on my 24 inch monitor.

I only ever watch TV or movies on my 50 inch plasma.

For me the 6 is the only one I was interested in.

It's like your reading my mind!
    I feel the same, use the iPad at home for Netflix if in bed or sofa, except I only have a 42" TV :(

kceire wrote: »
    It's like your reading my mind!
    I feel the same, use the iPad at home for Netflix if in bed or sofa, except I only have a 42" TV :(

I'm already planning on getting a 65 inch oled telly if and when they become available. Just haven't told the wife :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Small iPhone and big iPad is the way forward for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

I have an iPhone5 and an iPad, to be honest, I really don't see the point in upgrading my iP5 to a 6 or 6+.

I'll just wait for my "old" iP5 to kick the dust, but still going strong after nearly 2 years so hopefully that wont be anytime soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anyone wantintg a really in depth review keep an eye out here:

http://www.anandtech.com/

Anand Lal Shimpi has left the site (to work for Apple). I'm sure they still have a review planned, but Apple didn't provide them with a review unit in his absence, so it will be a while.

Anand Lal Shimpi has left the site (to work for Apple). I'm sure they still have a review planned, but Apple didn't provide them with a review unit in his absence, so it will be a while.

Are there any other site that have similar in depth reviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

That was a strange decision by Apple. He seemed more useful outside the tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That was a strange decision by Apple. He seemed more useful outside the tent.

True to an extent. He was a great advocate for Apple outside the company but now that he's an Apple employee he can really help dictate where Apple should think about going in terms of hardware, or help on the PR side by helping get a technical message across.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are there any other site that have similar in depth reviews?

Not that I know of. The Anandtech review was the only tech site review of the iPhone that I ever bothered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Collegehumor

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6992106/if-iphone-6-were-actually-better

I know it's a písstake, and before anyone jumps on me I'm buying an iP6 tomorrow :D I just thought it was hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

2915 mAh batter in the Plus - that's my mind made up to get it so. It was a toss up between this and the Note 4 but with Samsung so slow on the release they've lost my custom and probably a lot more peoples too.

• Advertisement

I got the 6 in space grey today.

It's really something else. Nothing comes close to it that's out at the moment.

The screen is phenomenal.

The build is the best I've seen and felt.

Buttons are perfect and is the home button. Really nice feel to it. I think it feels nicer than the 5s, springy, which I like.

The camera protrusion is a none issue. Slight wobble on top, on a hard surface but not when you are typing, which is the main thing.

The lines on the back are also hardly noticeable.

The loud speaker on this is one of the best for loudness and quality.

The vibrator is really nice :o a real quality to it.

In my opinion a real upgrade from the 5s.

Advertisement