Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 & 6+ reviews

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Mad muffin
    is the 6 plus much bigger than the 6?
    im torn as to whether to get 6 or plus/ as ive a 5 at the minute

the plus appeals to me for extra batt and image stabilization, but if its huge then dunno

mad that the shops dont have dummy units go give a feel for it before preorder or online prder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

eirlink wrote: »
    Mad muffin

the plus appeals to me for extra batt and image stabilization, but if its huge then dunno

mad that the shops dont have dummy units go give a feel for it before preorder or online prder

It is considerably bigger than the 5. Check out a Samsung Note 3. It's a similar size but thinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

eirlink wrote: »
    Mad muffin

As the proud owner of a 6 plus and someone who was very sceptical about the bigger phone yes it is a really big phone compared to my old 5s, but after a using it for only short while you won't be disappointed. The screen is beautiful you forget about the size after a while. Having looked at the 6 I didn't feel it was much of an upgrade on the 5s IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mad muffin wrote: »
    I got the 6 in space grey today.

It's really something else. Nothing comes close to it that's out at the moment.

The screen is phenomenal.

The build is the best I've seen and felt.

Buttons are perfect and is the home button. Really nice feel to it. I think it feels nicer than the 5s, springy, which I like.

The camera protrusion is a none issue. Slight wobble on top, on a hard surface but not when you are typing, which is the main thing.

The lines on the back are also hardly noticeable.

The loud speaker on this is one of the best for loudness and quality.

The vibrator is really nice :o a real quality to it.

In my opinion a real upgrade from the 5s.

I don't usually harp on about the updates, I thought the 5 was a decent update to my 4, but this 6 blows all previous ones out of the basket. I'm still a little hesitant about its size and I posted on many occasions that I wouldn't buy if it got bigger but I'm coming around........slowly :)

kceire wrote: »
    I don't usually harp on about the updates, I thought the 5 was a decent update to my 4, but this 6 blows all previous ones out of the basket. I'm still a little hesitant about its size and I posted on many occasions that I wouldn't buy if it got bigger but I'm coming around........slowly :)

Yeah. I really need to stop trying to do everything one handed. I suppose it's a habit of 7 years now. Still I can envisage a lot of people dropping the phone because of it.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I really need to stop trying to do everything one handed. I suppose it's a habit of 7 years now. Still I can envisage a lot of people dropping the phone because of it.

The Spigen case I have is quite grippy tbh. And it has the shock proof corners, will still be holding it like its my son though :o

The Spigen case I have is quite grippy tbh. And it has the shock proof corners, will still be holding it like its my son though :o

Can't use a case. Always neked :P

Can't use a case. Always neked :P

I wish I had that confidence! I dropped my previous phones a few times, been blessed they had covers on them.

Maybe if they were my numbers that came up tonight on the euro millions, I'll walk around with no cover, and if I drop it I won't even pick it up, I'll just go straight in a buy a new one ha ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hey keith did you get a 6 + ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Reviews as expected! The iPhone 6 is the upgrade to the 5S..but the 6 plus is a whole new thing.

The 6 plus seems somehow like the true upgrade, because Apple are doing more with that larger screen on this device, instead of just making it bigger. The higher pixel density and resolution, better camera tech, longer battery life, the new landscape views..this is quite different. This device also opens up new avenues for app developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hate having to put a case on iPhones but looks it will have to be done with the 6. So much for sapphire glass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Other drop tests show both phones surviving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8f-hVsDzA

As with previous models, it's mostly luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

murpho999 wrote: »
    I hate having to put a case on iPhones but looks it will have to be done with the 6. So much for sapphire glass.

Apparently the sapphire just wasn't strong enough in drop tests. Although it bends better and doesn't scratch as easily as glass it tends to shatter more than gorilla glass.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/12/new-source-confirms-apple-originally-planned-sapphire-screened-iphone-6/

Hey keith did you get a 6 + ?

The 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Peace92

I arrived 2am Friday morning in Victoria Square to queue for the new iPhone 6 plus. I was with 4 other friends who also are Apple fans so it was not bad at all to queue up for the new iPhone.

I am sure I am not the only one that was facing the dilemma of which new iPhone to choose between the 6 and 6Plus.

Battery life is very important for me as I travel frequently so and as I am into photography the optical image stabilisation was also very interesting to me.

So I bought myself a 128GB iPhone 6Plus and the Missus an iPhone 6. Once I arrived home and set up the Phone I simply could not overcome the size of the 6Plus. It was not really an upgrade of a Phone, it was in fact a new device all together. Normally I would be able to quickly glance on the iPhone to watch messages, status update on FB etc. But with the iPhone 6Plus there was no way I could do that with a single hand. I had to use both hands always.
    This was very annoying for me.

I tried using the feature to bring the screen down (double tabbing the home button) but this was required all the time and became also annoying.

Since I also run a few times in the week, the iPhone 6Plus was quit heavier and bigger than my iPhone 5S.

At home I was able to compare also with the iPhone 6 of my wife. It was just the right size.
    In fact I found reading on the iPhone 6 much better than reading on the iPhone 6Plus.

Anyway I put an ad on Donedeal and the Phone was sold in 2 hours with a good amount of Profit. Since I had a reservation for 5pm for 2 more Phones (which I reserved in case I was not able to go to Belfast Friday morning), I travelled to Belfast and picked up a Iphone 6 for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Interesting.

the 6+ is not something I'd order blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Peace92 wrote: »
    So I bought myself a 128GB iPhone 6Plus and the Missus an iPhone 6. Once I arrived home and set up the Phone I simply could not overcome the size of the 6Plus. It was not really an upgrade of a Phone, it was in fact a new device all together. Normally I would be able to quickly glance on the iPhone to watch messages, status update on FB etc. But with the iPhone 6Plus there was no way I could do that with a single hand. I had to use both hands always.
    This was very annoying for me.

I tried using the feature to bring the screen down (double tabbing the home button) but this was required all the time and became also annoying.

At home I was able to compare also with the iPhone 6 of my wife. It was just the right size.
    In fact I found reading on the iPhone 6 much better than reading on the iPhone 6Plus.

I was also there at 2am with a couple of other boardsies, we must have missed each other. You must have had a reservation for the plus though? We were told just before 7am by staff there was none left and really I'm happy I decided to go for the 6 instead, as all the points you've mentioned would have me doing the same thing. It's uncomfortably large.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Peace92

Tazium wrote: »
    I was also there at 2am with a couple of other boardsies, we must have missed each other. You must have had a reservation for the plus though? We were told just before 7am by staff there was none left and really I'm happy I decided to go for the 6 instead, as all the points you've mentioned would have me doing the same thing. It's uncomfortably large.

I did not have a reservation. I was the last person who got the iphone 6 plus 128 GB.
    Enjoy your phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I didn't get a chance to post last night because I had hassle with the restore from iTunes. Looks like something got corrupt and it kept hanging after syncing photos. Complete backup of my 5s, factory reset of the 6 and it still got stuck. Then I noticed that iTunes was showing all my complete screens. I deleted a random app, hit apply and it re-synced everything. Hope this is of some use if anyone else has a problem.

Anyway, I have to echo what was said on the thread. The screen is fantastic. Hires images really pop. The curves are gorgeous. The lack of right angles makes it much nicer to hold than the 4 or 5. And it's sooo thin.

Performance is impressive. Games are going to be great with Metal. You should download Zen Garden for a demo of what's possible.

I got the leather case as I had one for my 5s and it's great. Feels nice, and adds a fair bit of grip. The lens sits inside the case so that's s non issue for me. The whole bottom is cut out which should help when using docks and adapters. That was s big issue with the 5s case. They replaced that under warranty yesterday as it had broken and frayed around the Lightning port.

The screen in this thing :D

Where the 5s would create some banding with the blur effect on more solid colours, the 6 has none.

Also ordered an Ikonic Edge leather pouch. €40 odd delivered but the leather is top notch and very supple.

I don't do cases but like to carry the iPhone an the pouch when traveling.

I've used these since the iPhone 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Who here got a 6+ ?

Had a hold of the samsung note 3 today in cfw and it wasn't that bad , thats a 5.7 screen but more blocky than the 6+ i'd say

Trying to make my mind up on which model , then which provider etc

All the help greatly appreciated , videos of the 6+ look savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, perk of the job is that I've managed to have a play with the 6 for the last 3 days, so I've got a few impressions to give. Comparing it to an iPhone 5S. If I get time I'll try and write up an actual review of it.

First of all, let me say this. This phone is beautiful. Its curves are perfect, the lines are neat and though they remind of a HTC One M8, it doesn't bother me, in fact it makes the device seem more real. I was never a fan of the bland looking 5 series. The nipple like camera sticking out is a minor annoyance on an aesthetic view, but that's mostly down to usually seeing Apple products so streamlined and neat. Honestly, I think I'd prefer if they kept it as thick as last years 5S. But its not the end of the world.

The screen on this thing is great too, it's obviously an upgraded Retina display, but it goes just above 720p HD. The screen is not as gorgeous as something like the LG G3 or maybe the Galaxy S5, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Higher definition means more battery drain, which I'll touch on later.
    The screen is fluid, smooth and of course has the familiarity of standard iOS, just with more icons on each screen available. Speaking of iOS 8, I am not a fan of the new action centre, its just bland and I think takes away from the gorgeous display.

The battery is a nice improvement, I'm still not getting a great life from it, but it gets me from the time I get up, to the time I'm making dinner. So about 15 hours. I used ir as a daily driver, so calls, texts, browsing, Facebook and a spot of Netflix on lunch. Again, I would have preferred to see a thicker iPhone 6 with a bigger battery.

Overall, the iPhone 6 is a brilliant, beautiful and smooth device, and yes it is the best from Apple yet. But I still can't help but feel that aside from the size, there is no real difference from the 5S. It runs just as smoothly, and the camera is just as great (better in lowlight now). I just wish Apple would do something amazing again, its not a bad phone, but I can't help but feel Apple is a bit behind the curve here. The screen is the same size as a Moto X, but those massive bezels on the top and bottom are too big. If screen size is not a big deal, stick to the 5S which is bound to drop in price by about €50 at least.

Tldr: God its beautiful, but I'm bored of it already.

I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Battery only lasts 15 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Sticking to the 5S is a good shout. I had my 6 out of the box for an hour yesterday. Just a bit too big for me.

Stuck it up on Adverts already & am trying to convince my sis to upgrade to a 5S so we can swap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Would you not give it a week or so to see do you get used to it? An hour doesn't seem like long enough to get accustomed to the bigger size.

I love the phone but I cover live events & need to be able to type quickly without error on the go. It's too awkward having to use two hands. I thought I would be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Would have posted this in the other thread but it's locked.

Some actual proper testing carried out in terms of bend-gate

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Anyone else here have a 6+ ? Work got me an upgrade and I chose this for a change... wondering how durable the back is in regards getting a cover for it. The front seems impressively scratch resistant.

Advertisement