Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens' total disregard for road safety

Options
  • 17-09-2014 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if many people have encountered this in the charlesland park area, but I am really sick of kids doing the following:

1. running out on road, in front of cars without even looking.

2. playing between parked cars and then stepping out onto road, again while cars approach

3. Leaving their scooters/bikes in the middle of the road and my driveway.

This is extremely dangerous and I consciously make the effort to drive very slow but there have been times where I've had to jam on the brakes.

It's really not on!! The parents are completely ignorant to the fact that this is going on. In fact, I've even seen parents in full view on one such incident when a small girl ran across road.

I know the management company has paid heed to this in their newsletter, but this just continues.

The children have a large green to play on in the centre of the houses and I just wished they were more careful when crossing the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

While I agree with your statement you have to remember its a housing estate not a public road which most drivers don't take heed to. As soon as you enter the first roundabout everyone should be aware that a child is more then likely going to run out in front of you. This doesn't nessisarily reflect on parenting as children will generally not take notice even when they know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

There's a thread in AH about this and one poster mentioned all the parents in his estate getting together and doing a bit of road safety and awareness with the kids. Could we do something like that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

swingking wrote: »
    I'm not sure if many people have encountered this in the charlesland park area, but I am really sick of kids doing the following:

2. playing between parked cars and then stepping out onto road, again while cars approach

This is extremely dangerous and I consciously make the effort to drive very slow but there have been times where I've had to jam on the brakes.

It's really not on!! The parents are completely ignorant to the fact that this is going on. In fact, I've even seen parents in full view on one such incident when a small girl ran across road.

I know the management company has paid heed to this in their newsletter, but this just continues.

The children have a large green to play on in the centre of the houses and I just wished they were more careful when crossing the road.

They are children playing where they live. Where did you play as a child?

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

LEIN wrote: »

Have to disagree with you Lein, Swingking has a fair point. I've two "energetic" sons constantly out and about. I've drilled the "Stop & look both ways" message into them every day since they were 2, and now both are very aware of the danger.

This is something that cannot be said enough times. Hope all parents do it... as the worst-case scenario is too horrible to contemplate.

yellatdave wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you Lein, Swingking has a fair point. I've two "energetic" sons constantly out and about. I've drilled the "Stop & look both ways" message into them every day since they were 2, and now both are very aware of the danger.

This is something that cannot be said enough times. Hope all parents do it... as the worst-case scenario is too horrible to contemplate.

I have two of my own and they are well aware of road safety and cross the road properly.

However, OP's reaction is completely OTT, it's a housing estate where lots of young family's live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have no problem with kids playing but they shouldn't run out on road between parked cars.

In answer to your question. I played as a kid in a large field. There is a green in the centre of the estate. They are free to play there as much as they want but having to suddenly stop is not right.

I have no problem with kids playing but they shouldn't run out on road between parked cars.

In answer to your question. I played as a kid in a large field. There is a green in the centre of the estate. They are free to play there as much as they want but having to suddenly stop is not right.

So send a bunch children between 2 and 10 out to a busier road so you can drive which ever way you like?

I think you need a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Swingking made some valid points regarding the kids safety and your reply is very OTT in my opinion

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Swingking made some valid points regarding the kids safety and your reply is very OTT in my opinion

Genuine question, how often do you drive in Charlesland?

I do, more than once a day.

OP's main points:

It happens and always will, that's why we use our heads and take responsibility.

I live in Charlesland Wood where there are many many parked cars and I have yet to witness children playing "between" them.
    Stepping out; see point 1.

I have never in all the years living here have had to clear the road of a child's belongings.
    In the driveway, talk to the parents as whining here will achieve nothing.

All points made have been exaggerated to the point that anyone living in Charlesland knows that the original post is completely OTT.

Hope that makes it more clear for you John.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I drive in Charlesland estate occasionally.
    Reading his post I honestly think Swinking is very concerned for the safety of the children in Charlesland.

• Advertisement

So send a bunch children between 2 and 10 out to a busier road so you can drive which ever way you like?

I was referring to the small little green in the centre of the houses. Not the one beside Superquinn.

I would appreciate if you didn't directly attack me but my post. Isn't the the purpose of Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This is true of probably every estate in the country. I drive at an absolute snail's pace through housing estates, because kids are idiots (I mean, you wouldn't need to send them to school if they weren't). It would be great if people could, wherever possible, avoid parking on the road. It annoys me when people choose not to use their driveways. It annoys me even more when people allow their kids to dump their bikes, scooters, etc in the middle of the road. I can't imagine being allowed to do that when I was a child.

In housing estates, I think cars need to be treated as a 'necessary evil'. This means lots of speed ramps and very low speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I do, more than once a day.

OP's main points:

It happens and always will, that's why we use our heads and take responsibility.

I live in Charlesland Wood where there are many many parked cars and I have yet to witness children playing "between" them.
    Stepping out; see point 1.

I have never in all the years living here have had to clear the road of a child's belongings.
    In the driveway, talk to the parents as whining here will achieve nothing.

All points made have been exaggerated to the point that anyone living in Charlesland knows that the original post is completely OTT.

Am I allowed to comment on your post or will I be warned or banned as you put your Mod hat on?

Your tone in both posts is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zanador wrote: »
    There's a thread in AH about this and one poster mentioned all the parents in his estate getting together and doing a bit of road safety and awareness with the kids. Could we do something like that here?

Great idea

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The community cops would be happy to give a safety talk.

Actually there might be differing things happening in Charlesland Wood and Park. It cant be assumed that what happens in one part of Charlesland happens everywhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think perhaps he meant a green in the middle of Charlesland park or between the Park and Grove. Not the spine road. I might be wrong though.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Having had the opportunity to dog walk around Charlesland on plenty of occassions, all estates have similar issues so it's not specific to C'Park. There's lots of houses and duplexes around the inner greens, all with cars parked around them. Nightmare for kids when they are trying to cross, and then you'll have the younger ones which just don't think. @OP, most parents will try and educate their kids on the safety of the road, but even I know they won't think every now and then. So it is up to us adults, to drive with extra care. All we can do in the meantime is educate them to the best of our ability!

OP, do you have any kids BTW?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Astro I have seen kids of pre school and 4,5,6 playing out totally unsupervised. It is the job of the parents to deal with this. It makes me furious when kids run in front of the car, no parent to be seen

Well CC, that's just bad parenting IMO. I at least keep an eye on mine when out on the greens anticipating car approaches for where they are - overly cautious, tis me y'know.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    OP, do you have any kids BTW?

I don't have kids yet but when I do I will make sure to full enforce road safety.

I knew someone who reversed over her own child while driving out of a driveway and unfortunately the child didn't survive. It has left a horrible image in my head.

I would hate it to happen to any of the children in the estate.

I realise that cars have to drive slow. It's something I do all the time. But there are the few who drive faster than most and its with these drivers where an accident will happen

We can only learn from our experiences; yours are similar to mine and in my case the kid survived and only hospitalised for a week, thankfully.

Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Richard Parker

My kids are very well schooled on how to behave when there's a car approaching and are never unsupervised while playing outside. They have never caused a driver to 'jam' on the brakes to avoid a collision (just how fast do people drive that they may need to slam on their brakes???). Saying that, I'm still having trouble with the concept of shifting responsibility for road safety from the driver to (for example) the three year olds of a housing estate. If I am driving through a housing estate full of kids (eg Charlesland), I slow down & expect the unexpected. I DO NOT assume that all the kids on the green are sufficiently educated on road safety. That is insanity and frankly an accident waiting to happen.

Perhaps the root of the problem is more to do with unsupervised kids (which I'd agree with to an extent)? It's not unusual to see very young kids roaming around the green areas unsupervised quite late at night. This is, in my opinion, more concerning than the potential for a delayed journey.

My kids are very well schooled on how to behave when there's a car approaching

Perfect! That's great to hear and I wish more parents were like you.
    just how fast do people drive that they may need to slam on their brakes???)

Going from 10kph to 0 is still slamming on. You seem to believe that using the phrase "slam" means going fast. it doesn't!
    Saying that, I'm still having trouble with the concept of shifting responsibility for road safety from the driver to (for example) the three year olds

Nope I'm not doing that at all. I full agree that drivers have to be extra careful. Like I said, not everyone is and this is another problem.
    I DO NOT assume that all the kids on the green are sufficiently educated on road safety. That is insanity and frankly an accident waiting to happen.

As above
    problem is more to do with unsupervised kids

Now you see where I'm coming from. The children I see are very young. They should be supervised
    This is, in my opinion, more concerning than the potential for a delayed journey

I would happily be an hour late than to risk a child's safety. I never mentioned anything about the children delaying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Totally agree with everything the OP has said.
    I was arriving home one day when I seen a football fly out of between two cars, i stopped straight away and then bang on cue out came a kid at full speed, didnt stop, didnt look but did get a fright when he did eventually see me..
    Another day a kid on a bike cycling towards me but was looking behind at a kid chasing him, I had come to a complete stop and sounded my horn, the kid turned his head just in time to avoid a crash and a face full of a bonnet.
    What's worst he just cycled past me and carried on his race.

Now I enter the estate it first gear and rev the engine so it can be clearly heard by all the mini schumachers..

Hopefully these kids are taught some road sense before someone is flattened.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I agree with the op but as a non perent there is no way i am ever going to win an agument with the parent.

A lot of the kids are very good. Some are dam right rude.

Driving in to wood. A group of kids sat in the road playing. They see my car coming and they get up and move except for one really small girl who stands in front of car flicks a v and sticks her tongue out then walks off laughing. I have had kids jump in to the road to try and touch the car as it drives past. Yesterday a boy cycled as close to the car a he could and cut right in front twice before jumping up the kirb and then flying back across the road in front of me. Fortunatly i drive accordingly as i know what to expect from them but it doesnt mean they are ok to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Another day a kid on a bike cycling towards me but was looking behind at a kid chasing him, I had come to a complete stop and sounded my horn, the kid turned his head just in time to avoid a crash and a face full of a bonnet.

Same thing here. A bunch of kids racing on their bikes wrong way round the street. I see them when i come round corner and stop. Kid at front sees me and slams his brakes on, all the kds behind pile in to him and they all ended up in a heep on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

I don't have kids yet but when I do I will make sure to full enforce road safety.

I knew someone who reversed over her own child while driving out of a driveway and unfortunately the child didn't survive. It has left a horrible image in my head.

I would hate it to happen to any of the children in the estate.

I realise that cars have to drive slow. It's something I do all the time. But there are the few who drive faster than most and its with these drivers where an accident will happen
    All due respect OP. When you do have kids revisit this thread and a pound to a penny your view will have changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

All due respect OP. When you do have kids revisit this thread and a pound to a penny your view will have changed...

This is the most sensible post so far in this thread. When children are engaged in play they are preoccupied. Adults on the other hand must be vigilant when driving in built up areas. This is why we have reduced speed limits and all learner drivers are advised to watch out for children. I suspect the Op was frustrated at a minor incident and went ott. Just look at the thread title!
    Of course parents should educate their children on road safety and I am sure most do but children are often oblivious to their surroundings when at play.

• Advertisement

So you are saying that when you have kids, you stop caring for their safety. My view is the safety of children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement