Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens' total disregard for road safety

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Cerco wrote: »
    This is the most sensible post so far in this thread. When children are engaged in play they are preoccupied. Adults on the other hand must be vigilant when driving in built up areas. This is why we have reduced speed limits and all learner drivers are advised to watch out for children. I suspect the Op was frustrated at a minor incident and went ott. Just look at the thread title!
    Of course parents should educate their children on road safety and I am sure most do but children are often oblivious to their surroundings when at play.
    Adults on the other hand must be vigilant when driving in built up areas

did you not read my post? That's what I have been saying
    I suspect the Op was frustrated at a minor incident and went ott. Just look at the thread title!

NO this is far from a minor incident. This is something that happens all the time. Some kids around my part are just walking out on to the road without looking.

It was mentioned in a recent newsletter form the management company so I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Just in case anyone gets any wrong ideas, I'm not insulting anyone's children. So stop going all defensive!

I'm surprised that many people aren't seeing the same things I'm seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

All due respect OP. When you do have kids revisit this thread and a pound to a penny your view will have changed...
    Of course! It is no way possible to have an opinion on children or parental responsibility and supervision required of small children if you are not a parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

swingking wrote: »
    So you are saying that when you have kids, you stop caring for their safety. My view is the safety of children.

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

I'm afraid to say this but I totally agree with the OP. All you have to do is drive into the Court, now I slow to a stop when I turn in, as the kids play at the entrance, I've had 2 particular kids actually stop and stand in front of car until I asked them to move, one evening a wee girl pushed what I thought was a doll in a pram straight in front of me when I pulled in only when I stopped I realised it's was a baby, I have seen parents standing on their drives but unfortunately they are on their phones until I beep my horn! And then they give me a look!!!! Even if You drive at 5km You would still hurt a child if they hit your car. For some reason kids don't play on the green they seem to prefer the road ?!? But the fact is some parents watch their young children out playing and some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Where did I say that?
    When you do have kids revisit this thread and a pound to a penny your view will have changed...
    swingking wrote: »
    My view is the safety of children.

So saying that my view changes is that I won't care about child's safety

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Life is way too short to get so worked up :)

Let's summarise:
    Parents should teach their children about road safety, some will, some won't. Although some children will listen, unfortunately other children won't.
    Drivers should drive through Charlesland in a responsible manner the problem is that some will some "boy racer" types won't.

I think this is the best idea to come from this thread:
    zanador wrote: »
    There's a thread in AH about this and one poster mentioned all the parents in his estate getting together and doing a bit of road safety and awareness with the kids. Could we do something like that here?

I don't think anyone can add anything new or constructive to this thread.
    If you think you disagree please PM me and I will unlock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement