Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 weeks and decreased movement

Options
  • 17-09-2014 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i am due next weds 24th. Since yesterday I have decreased movement, have felt baby a couple of times but not half as much as before and also the movements aren't as strong/forceful. I had cereal and orange juice almost an hour ago and been laying on my side since. Felt only two faint movements in the hour.
    I was at my gp on Monday who said everything looked good, he has a scan machine and and baby was active. My urine did show an infection though and I am on antibiotics since.
    Should I be worried? I wish baby would just jump around a bit to reassure me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If I remember correctly, towards the end baby gets into position so decreased movement is normal. But there is a certain amount they say you should still have? Can't remember the numbers myself though! Call your hospital, mine were lovely and chat to the nurses /midwives. They'll let you know if something's amiss and tell you to come in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Call your hospital, ask to speak to a midwife. It's likely they'll ask you to come in to get checked - most likely everything is fine, but in some cases it's not, and the hospital would prefer 100 false alarms than to miss out on something going wrong. The exact same thing happened me and they told me to come in straight away and I was seen immediately - everything fine, thankfully - but they did tell me that if the exact same thing happened again, to come in straight away again - you just can't really take chances.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Call the hospital ASAP. It's not always true about decreased movements at the end. They tell you to come in whenever you're worried about something. I was admitted and then induced due to decreased movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

At our antenatal class last week, the midwife was talking about this.
    It's not true that movements naturally decrease as babies run out of room, just that they change. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

into hospital asap. any changes in your babies movements need to be checked.

please don't leave this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

At our antenatal class last week, the midwife was talking about this.
    It's not true that movements naturally decrease as babies run out of room, just that they change. I'd give them a call and see what they say.

This was also highlighted at our class as it is a common myth (and it was one I had heard myself). Get yourself into the hospital without delay and get checked out - it's probably nothing but if nothing else it will put your mind at ease. They'll just put you on a trace for 20-30 mins. I had to do it myself on a public holiday and I had all sorts of ideas going through my mind about overreacting and being a burden when there's low staff etc but they were very happy I had come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

OP don't leave anything to chance - go to hospital ASAP - I'm sure we are all just being over cautious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Same thing happened to me, I rang the hospital, they told me to come in for a trace & a scan. They couldn't have been more reassuring. As Indigo Twist said, they would rather 10 false alarms than have you not come in.

Give the hosptital a ring now and ask to speak to the midwife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's probably nothing to worry about - but go to the hospital / talk to a midwife. You're not being a hypochondriac or wasting their time.

They prefer false alarms instead go a nervous or worried mum.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

As others said OP go to hospital immediately. The nurses and midwives would rather see you arrive in and everything being ok than have you worrying at home. A trace takes half an hour and is very reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Don't take any chances. I had a CTG yesterday and am having another on Friday. I am 38 weeks pregnant and baby's movements are extremely important at this stage of the game. Do go in and get checked, they'll do a trace and be able to see very quickly if baby is happy. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

What's considered normal range at this stage anyway? Seems like everyone is different. Am 39wks tomo and while they may not happen as frequently, when they do, they are good and strong. Evening to bed time baby is busiest for sure. But by all means if I was in any way worried, I'd get checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

Thanks everyone. I went to my own gp, who has an ultrasound machine. And everythin was fine. Baby was just having a quiet 24 hours! Hopping around mad all evening now again.
    Almost there now, hopefully!

Thanks everyone. I went to my own gp, who has an ultrasound machine. And everythin was fine. Baby was just having a quiet 24 hours! Hopping around mad all evening now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Ah that's great. I'm delighted for you.

Not long to go now so enjoy the last few days where it's you and bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

That's good to hear all is well. It's such a worry. I'm 33 weeks and I find baby is busy for days then quiet every 4 or 5 days for a full day. I said it at my hospital apt yesterday as it freaks me out how quiet it gets and the dr said if there are less than 10 movements in 12 hours to come up to the hospital.

Advertisement