Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making movies with quicktime.

Options
  • 17-09-2014 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for this - I thought about the apple forum, and if that's more appropriate, maybe a mod would move it for me.

I have an ipad and a camera, and both record videos in quicktime format. I have another camera that records mpgs.

My laptop uses windows, and I want to use movie making software to put these various clips together.

Windows movie maker (wmm) isn't compatible with quicktime, so what can I do? It seems that I can either:

• convert the quicktime videos to a wmm-friendly format, but I've tried a couple of converters and the loss of quality renders it useless. Does anybody know a better converter?
    • use a different movie-making software which supports both formats - does anybody know of one? I've looked, but haven't found one yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried Handbrake to convert the videos? Quicktime is Apples proprietary format like WMV is Windows,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I use that converter, is MP4 the only output format? That's not compatible with my version of wmm, as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

osarusan wrote: »
    When I use that converter, I can't find the videos I want to convert at all. They don't come up in a search. They're .mov files, and I know I'm in the right folder.

May need to install the right codecs?

k-lite codec pack

You could also try VLC to convert the videos. How to link.

Regarding your edit:
    osarusan wrote: »
    When I use that converter, is MP4 the only output format? That's not compatible with my version of wmm, as far as I can see.

Don't use the "Windows Live" version of Movie Maker. There's a version 6 that is compatible with windows 7/8 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

May need to install the right codecs?

k-lite codec pack

You could also try VLC to convert the videos. How to link.

Regarding your edit:

Don't use the "Windows Live" version of Movie Maker. There's a version 6 that is compatible with windows 7/8 here.
    I've tried codecs and VLC, will try again now.

I'm on Vista!

• Advertisement
Advertisement