Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide to Donabate... shortcut?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭

Heya,

Looking at the road maps I think the answer to this question is no, but just wanted to double check...

Is there any shortcut or scenic drive via car going from Malahide to Donabate? I'd prefer not to have to go back out towards Swords onto the motorway \ old Swords Road.

And pre-empting any clever posts, my car is not am amphibious vehicle so my scenic drive cannot involve going over water... Although a Duck (DUKW) tour of the Malahide estuary would be cool!

Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Heya,

Looking at the road maps I think the answer to this question is no, but just wanted to double check...

Is there any shortcut or scenic drive via car going from Malahide to Donabate? I'd prefer not to have to go back out towards Swords onto the motorway \ old Swords Road.

And pre-empting any clever posts, my car is not am amphibious vehicle so my scenic drive cannot involve going over water... Although a Duck (DUKW) tour of the Malahide estuary would be cool!

Cheers.

Irish Rail:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/15-braydublindundalk1.pdf

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Moved to Dublin County North

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

You can drive along the coast but only when the tide is out and it's dry. Havent tried it the micra yet but I will someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You are not permitted to drive on beaches in Fingal other than in areas specially designated for driving.

See here, page 5.

You are not permitted to drive on beaches in Fingal other than in areas specially designated for driving.

See here, page 5.
    It's not a beach and theres no signs telling you not to and it's access to fields so I think you can drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

micraX wrote: »
    You can drive along the coast but only when the tide is out and it's dry. Havent tried it the micra yet but I will someday.

How do you plan to get across the mouth of the estuary?

Theres a road, the one where you go to feed the swans;)

The tide was in when google took this but you'll get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gesler

No, no shortcut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I know exactly where you are talking about.
    Be a fairly risky move to drive across when the tide is out.
    Something goes wrong (flat tyre) and you are really against the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I half-remember someone saying that they had gone from Malahide to Donabate but looking at the map I couldn't figure out how... must have been taking this approach at low tide - of course, they could have just been bigging up however far they had got. Thanks for helping to clear it up for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

There was talk, when they rebuilt the railway bridge at the Estuary, of putting in a footpath and cycle path alongside the railway. Does anyone know if anything has come of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Unshelved wrote: »
    There was talk, when they rebuilt the railway bridge at the Estuary, of putting in a footpath and cycle path alongside the railway. Does anyone know if anything has come of that?

Yeah think it was part of a Development Plan for the cycle way down the coast. It's still on the table if i recall just like anything comes down to coin. The damage to the line over the estuary i think set it back too...

BTW that cross route at low tide is lunacy. I would not be reccommending that to anyone to shave off a few minutes of a journey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've done it on a bike and ended up having to carry my bike across a 50cm ledge or risk cycling through knee high water. It was perilous.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's not a beach and theres no signs telling you not to and it's access to fields so I think you can drive.
    It looks like part of the route includes foreshore which is covered by beach bye-laws.
    As stated in the doc I had linked - you can only drive on beach/foreshore in designated areas. There are none on that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Theres a road, the one where you go to feed the swans;)

But to get there, you've already gone round the estuary and most of the way back to the Swords road. Which means that it's no longer a short cut.

seagull wrote: »
    But to get there, you've already gone round the estuary and most of the way back to the Swords road. Which means that it's no longer a short cut.

Well ring up the boys on top gear and make a "Toybota" or something, the op says that's the way he was thinking I never said it was a short cut, just said it was a way.

It looks like part of the route includes foreshore which is covered by beach bye-laws.
    As stated in the doc I had linked - you can only drive on beach/foreshore in designated areas. There are none on that route.
    But it was a right of way years ago how can they stop you? Its access to fields too like so I'd say it's commonly driven on.

Don't shoot the messenger. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The stretch from Seapoint to Ballymadrough was passable in times gone by and I have driven it in the far distant past . Not too sure of the condition of the road or whether it still actually remains .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Believe it or not, you can actually drive around the estuary as there is a road which continues on past Prospect House (near the Swans mentioned earlier) but its tidal. I recall years ago doing it in a 4 wheel drive. It leads to Newport House where you can rejoin the road which rejoins the Hearse Road, after some driving. Its not exactly practical as you'd need a very low tide to do it in a regular car. Not recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

bcmf wrote: »
    I know exactly where you are talking about.
    Be a fairly risky move to drive across when the tide is out.
    Something goes wrong (flat tyre) and you are really against the clock.

That roadway is also very slippery so might not be suitable for driving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Believe it or not, you can actually drive around the estuary as there is a road which continues on past Prospect House (near the Swans mentioned earlier) but its tidal. I recall years ago doing it in a 4 wheel drive. It leads to Newport House where you can rejoin the road which rejoins the Hearse Road, after some driving. Its not exactly practical as you'd need a very low tide to do it in a regular car. Not recommended!

What's the status of the proposed walkway/cycle track along the railway viaduct? The foundations have been in place for it for a few years now with seemingly no progress on adding a deck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

P_1 wrote: »
    What's the status of the proposed walkway/cycle track along the railway viaduct? The foundations have been in place for it for a few years now with seemingly no progress on adding a deck to them.

The last I heard, there were objections by landowners to the path going through their land on the way to Newbridge House.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

P_1 wrote: »
    Do you mean the "temporary" road used to repair the railway bridge?

That work was purely to repair the bridge although I understand its being left there to offer additional protection against erosion. It will also form part of the orbital route if it ever goes ahead.

The Department gave the Council just over €100k either last year or the year before to conduct the necessary process to ascertain what would be required to complete the project. There was also a public display process for where it would come from and go to etc.

I don't have a link handy but I'm sure if you search the council website you'll get more details.

Personally, I'd be all for it, as I was when I was a councillor. Its a beautiful area and would be terrific to have public access for recreation etc.

I do recall some concerned being raised by landowners on the Donabate side plus I recall residents on Hanlons Lane not being too happy with their road being used (as it is very narrow at one end and can't be widened.). That being said, I'm sure your local Councillors would hammer out a deal if the project was funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Do you mean the "temporary" road used to repair the railway bridge?

That work was purely to repair the bridge although I understand its being left there to offer additional protection against erosion. It will also form part of the orbital route if it ever goes ahead.

The Department gave the Council just over €100k either last year or the year before to conduct the necessary process to ascertain what would be required to complete the project. There was also a public display process for where it would come from and go to etc.

I don't have a link handy but I'm sure if you search the council website you'll get more details.

Personally, I'd be all for it, as I was when I was a councillor. Its a beautiful area and would be terrific to have public access for recreation etc.

I do recall some concerned being raised by landowners on the Donabate side plus I recall residents on Hanlons Lane not being too happy with their road being used (as it is very narrow at one end and can't be widened.). That being said, I'm sure your local Councillors would hammer out a deal if the project was funded.

Well that combined with the piers(?) that are right beside the bridge section of the viaduct, I had a feeling that the road on the Malahide side was built for access when they were rebuilding the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I took the A6 for a spin on that road last Saturday...erm....wastnt a well thought plan..eroded road edge straight into the estuary on one side and parked cars on the other...if your car is tiny it might be fun...twas squeaky bum time and I turned around as soon as it widened out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I took the A6 for a spin on that road last Saturday...erm....wastnt a well thought plan..eroded road edge straight into the estuary on one side and parked cars on the other...if your car is tiny it might be fun...twas squeaky bum time and I turned around as soon as it widened out :P

Thinly veiled "I've got a big A6 everybody!" post.

Not that an A6 is that big either mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I've got a big A6 everybody!" post.

Not that an A6 is that big either mind you.

well no it wasnt...and yes it is quite wide i think you will find...but your helpful & constructive post will no doubt be great for the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

well no it wasnt...and yes it is quite wide i think you will find...but your helpful & constructive post will no doubt be great for the OP

Maybe the OP also has a 'wide' A6.

Advertisement